Three more reports of swollen batteries in iPhone 8 Plus surface, still not statistically ...

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 46
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 7,461member

    sog35 said:
    Timmy..............

    I mean seriously.  This is basically a 4 year old phone.
    Just stifle it, Edith. You have somehow managed to exceed any definition of the word ‘ignoramus.’ 
    GG1radarthekatRonnnieOmagman1979pscooter63suddenly newtonbrucemcwatto_cobrasingularitybb-15
  • Reply 22 of 46
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 4,786member

    cali said:
    “Not statistically significant.”

    Why are we reporting this?
    The same reason we always do when the rest of the media flips out for no good reason about something Apple has done or has not done.
    But...you are the media...spreading the story... Despite the three-word qualifier, it's still spreading this story across new feeds across the globe. For a non-event. 

    Sorry but it just looks like your own flavor of clickbait to me.
    That’s exactly what it is, but at least they tried to keep things in perspective. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 4,999administrator

    cali said:
    “Not statistically significant.”

    Why are we reporting this?
    The same reason we always do when the rest of the media flips out for no good reason about something Apple has done or has not done.
    But...you are the media...spreading the story... Despite the three-word qualifier, it's still spreading this story across new feeds across the globe. For a non-event. 

    Sorry but it just looks like your own flavor of clickbait to me.
    Sure, I guess you could take it that way, but then that would be a gross reading comprehension failure.
    bb-15
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Five phones is the threshold for Unbox Therapy to post a clickbait YouTube video titled: "IS APPLE FINALLY DONE?" with a picture of a split open iPhone 8.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 46
    Just wait for a month or two and all of the defective models (if these are in fact defects) will have been tracked down and eliminated from the available stock.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Five phones is the threshold for Unbox Therapy to post a clickbait YouTube video titled: "IS APPLE FINALLY DONE?" with a picture of a split open iPhone 8.
    There is no such threshold, they use a sledge hammer on the first phone they get and if it splits open and the battery explodes they post "IS APPLE FINALLY DONE", with the smashed to bit phone burning and lying there in pieces.
    edited October 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 46
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,193member
    sog35 said:
    Timmy..............

    I mean seriously.  This is basically a 4 year old phone.
    Please fuck off with that "Timmy..." shit. You pull it in every thread, it's mind-numbing. Li-iON batteries have failure rates, there's not a damned thing the CEO of Apple (whether he has magical powers or not) can do about that, no matter what delusional world you clearly live in. There have been less than 10 reports of this, that is a statistical zero when it comes to millions of units sold. But we can always count on your to indulge, sensationalize, and weaponize any overstated story regarding Apple so you can stick it to "Timmy" like the man-child you are. 

    PS- And no, there isn't a single component of this phone that's "4 years old", even the casing, no matter how often you spread that pathetic lie. 
    edited October 2017 radarthekatRonnnieOmagman1979pscooter63brucemcwatto_cobrasingularitychiaGG1bb-15
  • Reply 28 of 46
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 1,823member

    MplsP said:
    Just out of curiosity, was the number of failures for the Galaxy Note 8 'statistically significant?' I'm also curious if the battery supplier for the iPhone 8 is the same as the iPhone 7. Since the mechanical designs are virtually identical and the batteries are close to the same size, it seems like we would have seen similar reports with the iPhone 7. Of course, that's assuming there's not reporting bias, which is a big assumption. Even if the incidence is within the range of expected failure, public perception is far from rational
    Note 7 statistically significant: 1 in 20,000 conservatively. Probably closer to 1 in 15,000.

    Battery supplier: Doesn't look like it.

    Mechanical design: Nope. Many differences. Similar battery size, but similar size does not equal the same size or the same issues.

    Similar reports with the iPhone 7: We did.

    Reporting bias: The five who have had the problem posted. The 20 million+ who haven't, didn't.

    Agree with public perception -- thus the explanation of what an infant failure is.
    Were there any reports of battery problems with the iPhone 7 or 7Plus?    I don't remember any.
    Of course there weren't any announcement on airplanes about not having an iPhone 7.
    watto_cobraksec
  • Reply 29 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    k2kw said:

    MplsP said:
    Just out of curiosity, was the number of failures for the Galaxy Note 8 'statistically significant?' I'm also curious if the battery supplier for the iPhone 8 is the same as the iPhone 7. Since the mechanical designs are virtually identical and the batteries are close to the same size, it seems like we would have seen similar reports with the iPhone 7. Of course, that's assuming there's not reporting bias, which is a big assumption. Even if the incidence is within the range of expected failure, public perception is far from rational
    Note 7 statistically significant: 1 in 20,000 conservatively. Probably closer to 1 in 15,000.

    Battery supplier: Doesn't look like it.

    Mechanical design: Nope. Many differences. Similar battery size, but similar size does not equal the same size or the same issues.

    Similar reports with the iPhone 7: We did.

    Reporting bias: The five who have had the problem posted. The 20 million+ who haven't, didn't.

    Agree with public perception -- thus the explanation of what an infant failure is.
    Were there any reports of battery problems with the iPhone 7 or 7Plus?    I don't remember any.
    Of course there weren't any announcement on airplanes about not having an iPhone 7.
    They were too distracted by the X gate... The reason you hear about it this year is because of what happened to the Note last year and well, it is Apple and they have to latch on to some doom narrative, they just gotta.
    watto_cobrabb-15
  • Reply 30 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,364member
    MplsP said:
    Just out of curiosity, was the number of failures for the Galaxy Note 8 'statistically significant?' I'm also curious if the battery supplier for the iPhone 8 is the same as the iPhone 7. Since the mechanical designs are virtually identical and the batteries are close to the same size, it seems like we would have seen similar reports with the iPhone 7. Of course, that's assuming there's not reporting bias, which is a big assumption. Even if the incidence is within the range of expected failure, public perception is far from rational
    I will never understand such comments. Even if this was just an iPhone 7s that looked exactly like the iPhone 7 in every physical way by examining the casing—which has never been the case—there's still a world of different inside each and every iPhone model. From the A-series chip, to dozens of updated components, often new vendors for components, and all with a brand new logic boards.
    bb-15
  • Reply 31 of 46
    What's with the statically significant tag? If you want to use that then the first question is whether your sample is representative of the iPhone8 population.
    To do that you need to know how many iPhone 8s are in circulation. Got figures for that?
    ksec
  • Reply 32 of 46
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,982member
    sog35 said:
    Timmy..............

    I mean seriously.  This is basically a 4 year old phone.
    So? It’s freaking design defect and they gotta investigate it. Maybe battery manufacture issue.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Well, it may actually be worth noting (and statistically significant) that 100% of the iPhone 8s that exploded have an Intel modem/baseband in them.
  • Reply 34 of 46

    I think people accusing AI about click-bait should re-assess what sites like this exist for. If the clicks dry up, then the site would probably wither and die away.

    I think AI is doing a fine balance of click-bait and actually providing context.

    bb-15
  • Reply 35 of 46
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    jb1741 said:
    What's with the statically significant tag? If you want to use that then the first question is whether your sample is representative of the iPhone8 population.
    To do that you need to know how many iPhone 8s are in circulation. Got figures for that?
    jb1741 said:
    What's with the statically significant tag? If you want to use that then the first question is whether your sample is representative of the iPhone8 population.
    To do that you need to know how many iPhone 8s are in circulation. Got figures for that?
    jb1741 said:
    What's with the statically significant tag? If you want to use that then the first question is whether your sample is representative of the iPhone8 population.
    To do that you need to know how many iPhone 8s are in circulation. Got figures for that?
    You know there are already estimates, see Kuo and a few others so you are being desingenious   . it is more  than a million, it is not significant, simple as that. It’s not. The first time Apple sells phones so we kinda have a clue huh?
  • Reply 36 of 46
    ksecksec Posts: 1,567member
    foggyhill said:
    k2kw said:

    MplsP said:
    Just out of curiosity, was the number of failures for the Galaxy Note 8 'statistically significant?' I'm also curious if the battery supplier for the iPhone 8 is the same as the iPhone 7. Since the mechanical designs are virtually identical and the batteries are close to the same size, it seems like we would have seen similar reports with the iPhone 7. Of course, that's assuming there's not reporting bias, which is a big assumption. Even if the incidence is within the range of expected failure, public perception is far from rational
    Note 7 statistically significant: 1 in 20,000 conservatively. Probably closer to 1 in 15,000.

    Battery supplier: Doesn't look like it.

    Mechanical design: Nope. Many differences. Similar battery size, but similar size does not equal the same size or the same issues.

    Similar reports with the iPhone 7: We did.

    Reporting bias: The five who have had the problem posted. The 20 million+ who haven't, didn't.

    Agree with public perception -- thus the explanation of what an infant failure is.
    Were there any reports of battery problems with the iPhone 7 or 7Plus?    I don't remember any.
    Of course there weren't any announcement on airplanes about not having an iPhone 7.
    They were too distracted by the X gate... The reason you hear about it this year is because of what happened to the Note last year and well, it is Apple and they have to latch on to some doom narrative, they just gotta.
    Not Sooner, i would bet if this battery swollen problem have happened in of any of the Previous iPhone it would have gotten same amount of media attention. And not just because we are after the Samsung Galaxy Note explosion, people have always been aware of battery fire problems.

    And go and ask around Apple Retails friends if they have seen or heard these case of return before.

  • Reply 37 of 46
    BGR says its not an explosion but i had to remind them of the this.

    "Explosion” doesn’t have to mean that anything caught fire or burned; the word is broadly defined as “a large-scale, rapid, or spectacular expansion."
  • Reply 38 of 46
    SoliSoli Posts: 9,364member
    BGR says its not an explosion but i had to remind them of the this.

    "Explosion” doesn’t have to mean that anything caught fire or burned; the word is broadly defined as “a large-scale, rapid, or spectacular expansion."
    There seems to be nothing large-scale, rapid, or spectacular about the expanding battery no more so than putting a dry sponge in water or blowing up an inflatable raft with a pump.
    bb-15
  • Reply 39 of 46
    croprcropr Posts: 966member
    cali said:
    “Not statistically significant.”

    Why are we reporting this?
     If 1 out of million has an infant failure, and if we have 5 reports that there is an issue with the battery, it should mean that Apple has already shipped more than 5M iPhone 8 devices to customers,  which is not so far away from the actual number.  I don't know how many battery suppliers and how many production lines are involved, but it could become significant for one single supplier or one single production line
    avon b7
  • Reply 40 of 46
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 842member
    k2kw said:

    MplsP said:
    Just out of curiosity, was the number of failures for the Galaxy Note 8 'statistically significant?' I'm also curious if the battery supplier for the iPhone 8 is the same as the iPhone 7. Since the mechanical designs are virtually identical and the batteries are close to the same size, it seems like we would have seen similar reports with the iPhone 7. Of course, that's assuming there's not reporting bias, which is a big assumption. Even if the incidence is within the range of expected failure, public perception is far from rational
    Note 7 statistically significant: 1 in 20,000 conservatively. Probably closer to 1 in 15,000.

    Battery supplier: Doesn't look like it.

    Mechanical design: Nope. Many differences. Similar battery size, but similar size does not equal the same size or the same issues.

    Similar reports with the iPhone 7: We did.

    Reporting bias: The five who have had the problem posted. The 20 million+ who haven't, didn't.

    Agree with public perception -- thus the explanation of what an infant failure is.
    Were there any reports of battery problems with the iPhone 7 or 7Plus?    I don't remember any.
    Of course there weren't any announcement on airplanes about not having an iPhone 7.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7878022?start=0&tstart=0

    I found this. I didn’t remember hearing anything either. 
Sign In or Register to comment.