Watch: Everything you need to know about iOS 11, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2017
Apple on Tuesday launched its latest and greatest mobile device software in iOS 11, watchOS 4 and tvOS 11. AppleInsider goes over everything you need to know, including a summary of the most important OS changes, in this video.

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    One of the apps I use on Apple Watch crashed this morning on WatchOS 4. If I recall correctly, developers never saw a beta of WatchOS 4, correct? Obviously, I will have to contact the developer but I fee for them since today, they also have millions of more users on their iPhone app.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Btw, set aside a day or two if you plan to install WatchOS 4 on a series 0 watch.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 18
    ibill said:
    Btw, set aside a day or two if you plan to install WatchOS 4 on a series 0 watch.
    I agree.  Let it run overnight if you can.  I’m on my second WatchOS 4 update of the day and am well over an hour and half already (just for this Watch), still going.  1 and half down, 2 to go...
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Yeah I notice it takes a very long time to update my series 0 watch, thought it is my internet connection problem.

On the somewhat related note, does anyone see the new emoji? I couldn't find my exploded head.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Downloaded iOS 11 on my iPhone 7 Plus last night and my phone is now lightning fast. Fantastic to use. 
  • Reply 6 of 18

This is the version of iOS where all the 32 bit apps stop working for good, right?

If so, I'm going to need to wait until I can find worthy replacements for the one or two I actually use on a regular basis.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 7 of 18
    Can the phone produce a list of 32-bit apps "soon-to-die" that I can preview in advance? 

Edit: 

Yes.  I opened a known-old app, and when the phone gives the "32-bit" message, the "Learn More" button gives the full list on the phone.

2nd Edit:

AND you can see the list in Settings ->  General -> About -> Applications.
    edited September 2017 GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Tv os11 sucks
    When  Home sharing movies that are on iTunes on a mac
    they are no longer separated as watched/unwatched
    there all mixed in together now
    no way of knowing what’s what
    edited September 2017 williamlondon
  • Reply 9 of 18
    ibill said:
    Despite some WiFi glitches (where the iPhone lost WiFi contact) my Apple Watch Gen 0 updated in about  an hour.   It would have been a LOT quicker without the glitches.   But that wasn't the fault of the watch -- I had the same glitches where I had to reconnect to WiFi several times while updating from OS 10.3.3 to OS 11.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    kevin kee said:
    Yeah I notice it takes a very long time to update my series 0 watch, thought it is my internet connection problem.

On the somewhat related note, does anyone see the new emoji? I couldn't find my exploded head.
    My phone kept dropping its WiFi connection -- but it did the same while updating to OS11.  
    Otherwise, I had no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 18
    BebeBebe Posts: 145member
    Updated my i6S+ with iOS 11 and the battery is already at 58% only less than 4 hours into the day.  

Anyone with battery issue?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Bebe said:
    Updated my i6S+ with iOS 11 and the battery is already at 58% only less than 4 hours into the day.  

Someone mentioned indexing, mine was also down a bit so I've just plugged it back in, but indexing makes sense, will see tomorrow/next day status of battery.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Bebe said:

Someone mentioned indexing, mine was also down a bit so I've just plugged it back in, but indexing makes sense, will see tomorrow/next day status of battery.
    Ditto!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 18
    I was hoping in watch os4 they would bring back the lock button. But nope. Instead we get a stupid flashlight....
  • Reply 15 of 18
    maclvr03 said:
    I was hoping in watch os4 they would bring back the lock button. But nope. Instead we get a stupid flashlight....
    What you find stupid I find convenient.  On an almost nightly basis I attempt to use the screen on my Watch to illuminate things in a dark bedroom while my wife sleeps.  It can be a pain since the screen turns off when I hold it in the direction I need illuminated, which tends to be away from me.  Not anymore, flashlight works for me.  On the other hand, I never have used the lock button and didn't even realize it was gone...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    I'm really upset about this update!! The essentially ruined the watch for me. I can no longer see the playlists I keep on my phone and control them on my watch. It was the ONLY (Seriously only!) reason I purchased the watch! The new "now playing" function is NOT the same. I can't see the playlists or choose a specific song. As a dance instructor this is crucial. My phone plugs into the studio speakers and then I can select the music from my wrist without having the front of the class. How could they eliminate a vital function with no warning!? I chatted with tech support and they initially said "No way we eliminated that!" and then "OH, yeah, I guess we did". And there is nothing anyone can (or will) do. And apparently there is no way to uninstall the update either. UGH!! I feel like the "now playing" function isn't much more than I can do with some Fitbits!
    williamlondon
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Trish8 said:
    I'm really upset about this update!! The essentially ruined the watch for me. I can no longer see the playlists I keep on my phone and control them on my watch. It was the ONLY (Seriously only!) reason I purchased the watch! The new "now playing" function is NOT the same. I can't see the playlists or choose a specific song. As a dance instructor this is crucial. My phone plugs into the studio speakers and then I can select the music from my wrist without having the front of the class. How could they eliminate a vital function with no warning!? I chatted with tech support and they initially said "No way we eliminated that!" and then "OH, yeah, I guess we did". And there is nothing anyone can (or will) do. And apparently there is no way to uninstall the update either. UGH!! I feel like the "now playing" function isn't much more than I can do with some Fitbits!
    While that does sound frustrating for you there are alternatives.  At the gym where I work we installed a fairly low cost (I think around $10) Bluetooth receiver from Amazon.  I can pair my Apple Watch to it.  Now, I load a few playlists of songs onto my Apple Watch, connect my Watch to the Amazon Audio unit and start class.  Instead of playing the music from my iPhone, I play it from my Watch.  The playlists that I have on my Watch are scrollable and I can select the song I want to play.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Trish8 said:
    While that does sound frustrating for you there are alternatives.  At the gym where I work we installed a fairly low cost (I think around $10) Bluetooth receiver from Amazon.  I can pair my Apple Watch to it.  Now, I load a few playlists of songs onto my Apple Watch, connect my Watch to the Amazon Audio unit and start class.  Instead of playing the music from my iPhone, I play it from my Watch.  The playlists that I have on my Watch are scrollable and I can select the song I want to play.
    Hmm.. I work at several studios.. so thats a bit cumbersome.. but potentially helpful. Thank you. Could you possibly post a link? (I hoping against the odds that they reinstate the more elegant capacity of the original music playback in an update.. but not holding my breath)