Netflix's free 'Stranger Things: The Game' offers retro-themed hype for upcoming season 2

Posted:
in iPhone
With a retro art design harkening back to the heyday of console gaming, the new and free "Stranger Things: The Game" leans heavily on nostalgia, just like the blockbuster series on which it is based.

Available for both iPhone and iPad, "Stranger Things: The Game" arrives a few weeks before the second season debuts on Netflix Oct. 27. The hit Duffer Brothers series is steeped in the 1980s, and with an NES-inspired aesthetic, the new game by developer BonusXP, Inc. is no different.

"It's 1984 all over again," the description reads. "Experience an action adventure game just like the ones our heroes would have played back in the day."

In the free title, gamers can explore the fictional town of Hawkins from the series, visiting locations like Mirkwood Forest and Hawkins Lab. Puzzles in the game can be solved based on the unique abilities of each character -- Lucas has a "Wrist Rocket," while Nancy has a collection of baseball bats.

Collectable Eggos and Gnomes can be found throughout the game world and unlock content, and players can compete with friends with measured speed runs.

"Stranger Things: The Game" is a 347-megabyte download that requires iOS 9.0 or later.
lolliver

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    Cool but I remember 1984 and we didn't have graphics like that. Maybe 1994!
    SpamSandwichdysamorialolliver
  • Reply 2 of 4
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Medic343 said:
    Yup. Way too many colors, and the "pixel art" seems to be inconsistent in pixel sizes. It's nostalgia without the true limits of the era.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 4
    dysamoria said:
    Medic343 said:
    Yup. Way too many colors, and the "pixel art" seems to be inconsistent in pixel sizes. It's nostalgia without the true limits of the era.
    As is the show, which is shot in 4K resolution, RAW. It isn’t an 80s product, but a modern product tapping into the 80s aesthetics.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Medic343 said:
    Exactly what I was thinking too! Those are SNES plus quality graphics, not 8bit Commodore 64 ones! NES came out in ‘85 believe.
    edited October 2017