US Justice Department says Supreme Court should deny Samsung request for Apple v. Samsung ...

Posted:
in iPhone
The U.S. Department of Justice on Thursday issued a recommendation against the Supreme Court reviewing a 2014 court verdict, which at the time awarded Apple almost $120 million for patent infringement by Samsung.

"In the view of the United States, the petition for a writ of certiorari should be denied," the Justice Department wrote this month according to CNET. Samsung requested the review in March, and Apple submitted a counterargument in May, with which the DoJ ultimately sided.

The case in question is distinct from the one at the center of a December Supreme Court ruling, which addressed a 2012 verdict that awarded Apple nearly $1 billion for Samsung's violation of iPhone design concepts. The amount was later reduced to $548 million.

Samsung challenged $399 million of the sum at the Supreme Court, successfully arguing that it shouldn't have to hand over the complete profits of devices simply because some aspects were infringing -- likening the situation to demanding the entire profits of a car because of a cupholder. The Supreme Court then sent the matter back down to a district court in San Jose.

In the May 2014 verdict, Samsung was found to have infringed patents on data detectors and the iPhone's since-abandoned "slide to unlock" function. Apple, though, was found to have infringed on a patent related to digital images and speech.

Samsung managed to get its penalty overturned in an initial appeal, but a review reinstated the verdict, and a second appeal was denied.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Sheesh... about time that a US government agency/department stood up for a US firm.
    anton zuykovpujones1SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Does anyone still care about this?
    tmaynetmage
  • Reply 3 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Apparently Samsung does....they must like beating a dead horse. 
    edited October 2017 watto_cobrajbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Rayz2016 said:
    Does anyone still care about this?
    A couple companies have a few hundred million reasons to still care.  
  • Reply 5 of 7
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    But Samsung said after trying a dozens of different crappy alternatives to slide to unlock that it should be patentable because it's obviously the only way this is possible. Then Apple ditches it. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,631member
    I miss it.  I kinda hate press home button to unlock on my iPad.  So inelegant.  
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 7
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    eriamjh said:
    I miss it.  I kinda hate press home button to unlock on my iPad.  So inelegant.  
    I hope you're joking...