Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac gains APFS, HEVC, VR support in update

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2017
Virtualization solution Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac was updated on Thursday to take full advantage of hardware and software technologies supported by macOS 10.13 High Sierra, including the Apple File System and HEVC codec.

Pushed out to users earlier today, Parallels Desktop 13.1 contains a handful of key features that bring the software in full alignment with macOS High Sierra, Apple's recently released next-generation Mac operating system.

Among the most important changes is support for the Apple File System, or APFS. A replacement for the outgoing HFS+, APFS was designed as a fundamentally secure file system that integrates seamlessly across Apple's four major platforms: macOS, iOS, watchOS and tvOS. The file system was built to take advantage of flash memory, a storage technology used in an increasing number of Apple devices.

Aside from APFS, Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac now supports the HEVC video codec, Apple's system of choice for iOS 11 and macOS High Sierra. Also called H.265, the advanced codec promises better compression -- file sizes up to 40 percent smaller than H.264 -- smooth playback and overall higher quality images.

Today's update also delivers virtual reality support and compatibility with Steam VR and the HTC Vive VR headset.

Finally, the latest version of Parallels Desktop 13 includes various improvements to core apps and utilities. The update incorporates the usual assortment of bug fixes and performance improvements, some notable changes being:
  • Enables the user to create a new Boot Camp virtual machine on a Mac with macOS High Sierra.
  • Enables the user to install a High Sierra virtual machine from the Recovery partition on their High Sierra Mac.
  • Resolves an issue with installing Parallels Tools on Windows XP (Note: Parallels Tools are used for Windows and macOS integration. Do not confuse them with Parallels Toolbox.)
  • Resolves an issue with Windows not starting when opening a file associated with a Windows application on macOS.
  • Resolves an issue with "Sending as Attachment" not working for Windows files and Mac email client after suspending and resuming a Windows virtual machine.
  • Resolves an issue with OneDrive for Business not shared with macOS, even if that option is enabled.
  • Resolves an issue with copying Windows files to Mac.
  • Resolves an issue with installing a macOS older than Mac OS X Mavericks 10.9 in the virtual machine from the installation image.
Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac saw release in August with macOS High Sierra "readiness," meaning certain features were not supported at launch.

Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac sells for $79.99 from the Parallels online store, while existing users can upgrade for $49.99. Alternatively, Parallels Desktop Pro Edition is sold on a $99.99 annual subscription, discounted to $49.99 to existing Parallels 12 or 13 users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Awesome because VMware Inc. laid off most of its "Fusion" team and outsourced development to a different country last year.
    dewme
  • Reply 2 of 12
    Beware!  I am a long time Parallels user and 13 destroyed my Windows 10 VM.  The primary HDD was unreadable.  I reached out to support and they had me do some hacks to get it to work.  A few days later Parallels kept freezing my iMac to the point where I had to build a new Windows 10 VM.  Make sure to backup your VM and have version 12 handy if you need to downgrade.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Awesome because VMware Inc. laid off most of its "Fusion" team and outsourced development to a different country last year.
    It depends on who you believe.  I was very irate when I heard that rumor a year and a half ago.  I contacted VMware to give them a piece of my mind as I've been a VMware customer and Fusion user since the V4 days.  Surprisingly, I had a brief but interesting discussion with an employee there.

Now, "If" I believe this person, the layoff involved only the UI team, and NOT the core engineers.  So far, the chatter has died down since that rumor.  The updates to Fusion have been coming and have been consistent so - for now - I have no reason to dispute what VMware says.  Support still seems to be stellar, and the support I had with upgrading an old iMac was prompt and to the point.

I've been a VMware Fusion user since release V4 and I just upgraded both my Macs to Fusion 10 which is High Sierra compatible. It works great, and is just as polished as I expect it to be.  I'm a happy customer.  I still prefer Fusion over Parallels.
    edited October 2017 mizhoudewme
  • Reply 4 of 12
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Fusion 8 user-- which is better this round, Parallels or Fusion?  

Also so reasonably happy with VirtualBox, for the things I want it for. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Competition is good, but only VMware Fusion works controlling machines via USB from Windows from Mac. Parallels Desktop crashes while collecting data and all is lost.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Fusion 8 user-- which is better this round, Parallels or Fusion?  

Also so reasonably happy with VirtualBox, for the things I want it for. 
    I haven't used Parallels.  I've always been a VMWare customer, and I enjoyed using their products that Fusion was a no-brainer.  I'm only a few days into using Fusion 10 and so long as you're on a Mac made since 2011 it's fine.  Their support is what always had me coming back.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    I use both, both are excellent.  IMHO VMWare is better for techies who are also Windows users, Parallels better for Mac only users wanting to run Windows.  Competition is good so very glad they are both there.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 12
    DemonkidDemonkid Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    "Today's update also delivers virtual reality support and compatibility with Steam VR and the HTC Vive VR headset. " er... no it doesn't
  • Reply 9 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    hotblue said:
    Beware!  I am a long time Parallels user and 13 destroyed my Windows 10 VM.  The primary HDD was unreadable.  I reached out to support and they had me do some hacks to get it to work.  A few days later Parallels kept freezing my iMac to the point where I had to build a new Windows 10 VM.  Make sure to backup your VM and have version 12 handy if you need to downgrade.
    You should be backing up your VM's anyways. This is one of the advantages of using a VM. If you screw it up, you just drag a backup in its place and start it up. Its no different than backing up your Mac. 
  • Reply 10 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macxpress said:
    hotblue said:
    You should be backing up your VM's anyways. This is one of the advantages of using a VM. If you screw it up, you just drag a backup in its place and start it up. Its no different than backing up your Mac. 
    Agreed, Carbon Copy Cloner backs up my working RAIDs and the VMs on them no problem.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    Is VMware Fusion 10 a worthwhile upgrade from VMware Fusion 8.5.8? Have not seen any reviews yet.

With macOS being a free upgrade, products like VMware and Parallels that follow Apple's OS release cycle have effectively become subscriptions. Or at least appear to be. The virtualization product vendors don't exactly go out of their way to assure current customers that they don't really have to upgrade their virtualization software to remain compatible (non breaking) with the latest OSX/macOS version. Sure, if you want to enjoy all the newest OS features and conveniences like Touch Bar support or APFS then you'll probably have to upgrade. I've had no compatibility issues so far with VMware 8.5.8 running on High Sierra as a host for Windows 10 and Linux VMs. I haven't tried running a High Sierra VM in VMware 8.5.8. Looking to hear what makes Fusion 10 a "must buy" rather than a discretionary purchase.

edited October 2017
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dewme said:
    Is VMware Fusion 10 a worthwhile upgrade from VMware Fusion 8.5.8? Have not seen any reviews yet.

With macOS being a free upgrade, products like VMware and Parallels that follow Apple's OS release cycle have effectively become subscriptions. Or at least appear to be. The virtualization product vendors don't exactly go out of their way to assure current customers that they don't really have to upgrade their virtualization software to remain compatible (non breaking) with the latest OSX/macOS version. Sure, if you want to enjoy all the newest OS features and conveniences like Touch Bar support or APFS then you'll probably have to upgrade. I've had no compatibility issues so far with VMware 8.5.8 running on High Sierra as a host for Windows 10 and Linux VMs. I haven't tried running a High Sierra VM in VMware 8.5.8. Looking to hear what makes Fusion 10 a "must buy" rather than a discretionary purchase.

V10 is not a "must have".  I upgraded to v10 for both my Macs for the simply reason of always staying current.  The only issue I have with 8.5 is when I shut my VM down, it temporarily disconnects all bluetooth devices - like keyboard, mouse, and trackpad - for a couple seconds.  Other than that, I didn't see much reason to upgrade.  I just appreciate VMWare's existence in this arena and have been such a happy VMware customer of theirs for ages and for their great support, I gladly upgrade to help support the team.  It's a business write-off for me anyways.