Apple shows off vampires, fairies, & other new emoji coming in next week's iOS 11.1 betas

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Friday took the unusual approach of revealing some of the emoji coming to next week's public and developer betas of iOS 11.1, as well as upcoming versions of macOS and watchOS.

There are "hundreds" of new characters en route, which are Apple artwork based on approved designs from the Unicode 10 standard, the company said. Among these are new smiley faces, animals, food, gender-neutral characters, different clothing options, and mythical beings like zombies, vampires, and wizards.

Some of the more esoteric addditions include "Breastfeeding," "Person in Lotus Position," and the American Sign Language gesture for "I love you."

Unicode 10 was cemented in June. Apple's graphics are close in many respects to the originals, but still slightly modified, for instance using different shading.

The new emoji will presumably be coming to macOS 10.13.1 and watchOS 4.1, but Apple didn't elaborate on version numbers for those platforms. iOS 11.1 also appears to be laying the groundwork for Apple Pay Cash, as the feature is reportedly in testing by Apple staff. Cash was once expected to ship alongside iOS 11.0, but was later revealed to be coming in a point release.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 10
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    emojis.  so it's come to this.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mobirdmobird Posts: 752member
    Ooh-rah
    /s
  • Reply 4 of 10
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    What’s meant by next weeks 11,1 betas? Those have been out, and I’m running it. Was it meant to be said that next week, these emojis will be coming to the already released 11.1 betas?

Or, perhaps, they will be available in the full 11.1 release. These are very detailed.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Just what my mother needs, even more emojis.
    cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 10
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mike1 said:
    Just what my mother needs, even more emojis.
    LOL, well at least they didn't add a scary Android or Google logo for Halloween. 

2.png 20.4K
  • Reply 7 of 10
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    I love it. Apple is the only company that likes normies. I have to appreciate that. Make technology more relatable. They are doing this while being competitive on the low end with $300 iPad 5 & iPhone SE. Cook is doing fine.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    There are too many already. I can barely use them because of this. Scrolling through images I don't need to find one that might object some fun into a chat... Waste of time. Plus, I won't just accept auto-emoji replacements (only available in Apple messages app) because I want to pick ones that won't be egregiously different on my friends' other platforms (you all do know that emoji differences between platforms can be rather defeating of the intent of the whole thing, right?). 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I really appreciate Apple's "focus" on design at the intersection between engineering and liberal arts.
    I wonder what emoji's Apple has had the bravery to say "no" to?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    When does this shit stop? How long until English turns back into hieroglyphics?