Restore the background to its original look

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    applenut they are just getting annoyed with you cause your acting like a spoiled brat that didn't get his way. Going a couple days of complaining is ok. Doing it nonestop is down right annoying and it makes you look like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

For the people that claim the look looks "washed out" check your gamma settings and adjust them. Then turn off Gamma correction. 80% of the world sees the web in uncorrected gama.. not Mac Gamma.. which in my opinion is WAY too bright for CRTs.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>applenut they are just getting annoyed with you cause your acting like a spoiled brat that didn't get his way. Going a couple days of complaining is ok. Doing it nonestop is down right annoying and it makes you look like a little kid throwing a tantrum.

For the people that claim the look looks "washed out" check your gamma settings and adjust them. Then turn off Gamma correction. 80% of the world sees the web in uncorrected gama.. not Mac Gamma.. which in my opinion is WAY too bright for CRTs.</strong><hr></blockquote>

1.) some of the administration is younger than me. a case could be made that they are acting like spoiled brats who have a new toy to play with.

2.) You don't get something if you just say oh you aren't going to do anything, thank you.

3.) there is nothing wrong with my gamma settings, it's a poor design.

4.) the background color may not be the sole reason for people not coming back but it contributes to the belief of many that AI is not the AI of old and sucks now.
  • Reply 23 of 36
    [quote]1.) some of the administration is younger than me. a case could be made that they are acting like spoiled brats who have a new toy to play with.<hr></blockquote>

(1) Generally, age has been a remarkably poor measurement of maturity on the internet.

(2) Check your diction. If they're not changing the background, does that make them spoiled or brats?

(3) I'm not changing it either. I've been playing with these toys for years.

Frankly, I see no evidence that the old community is not coming back. The vast majority of the main members of the community were back here on the first day (save Dorsal, but he's a special case).

And frankly, the fact that you're among maybe five or ten people out of 700 that want the background suggests that you are in the minority, not us.

I have nothing personal against changing the background; why would I? If you can actually show me that a large number of people are not coming back because they think the colors are washed out, or a large number of people already here think they're bad and should be changed, I'll have them change the coloring. Five or ten of your cronies isn't going to cut it though.

And watch your attitude. Whining and bitching never got anyone anywhere.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Personal insults are tolerated, Nick, so long as they aren't made towards the administration. They're ok when the rabble keeps it to themselves.

If someone isn't coming back because the shades are lighter then do you really want them back?

How many people protested the change from that godawful black and turquoise mess? "This isn't the same. The name has been changed from Reality to Appleinsider, I'm never coming back!"

Black and turquoise came from the iMac, dark graphite came from the G4 case and this ostensibly came from Apple's new looks.

Waste of valuable time, go watch some football.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I still think it's rediculous saying that part of the reason people aren't coming back is because of the background color. I'm 99.9% sure that has nothing to do with it.

applenut, by calling the administration spoiled brats by using this as an example is just rediculous. It's showing how much of a spoiled brat you are and nothing else. Just calm it already.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    [quote] If someone isn't coming back because the shades are lighter then do you really want them back?<hr></blockquote>

Exactly, if that's the reason why they aren't coming back they don't belong here to begin with.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

1.) some of the administration is younger than me. a case could be made that they are acting like spoiled brats who have a new toy to play with.

<hr></blockquote></strong>

It's their forum. They can put up pics of Barney if they want to.

[quote]<strong>

2.) You don't get something if you just say oh you aren't going to do anything, thank you.

You also don't get something when your being a whiney brat either. Actually it usually assures you that you don't get it.

[quote]<strong>

3.) there is nothing wrong with my gamma settings, it's a poor design.

That's subjective. I think it looks GREAT.

[quote]<strong>

4.) the background color may not be the sole reason for people not coming back but it contributes to the belief of many that AI is not the AI of old and sucks now.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually I like it BETTER. And I doubt it's even PART of the reason.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Sinewave ]</p>
  • Reply 28 of 36
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Personal insults are tolerated, Nick, so long as they aren't made towards the administration.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Tell me where you see personal attacks happening and I will deal with it.
  • Reply 29 of 36
    When I first got back to the boards, I admit that I liked the old look better, but I have grown accustomed to the new look.

I actually like it better than before.

I also think that the "administration" is doing an excellent job with these forurms. I'm just glad they're back - the color scheme is the last thing on my mind. The server seems much faster, and I don't particulary care what shade of grey the background is.
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Today when I was at my sister's house I was using her PC and the background on here really looked bad. Maybe it was just her monitor but it looks much better on a Mac.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    I happen to like the new look. The only complaint I have is the following:

I think the link color needs to stand out more. Here at home with IE 5 + OS 9 it looks alright but when I look at it in OmniWeb they get terribly hard to read. It might have to do with the Cocoa AA method, I don't know. But it might help to have the links stand out more. Just my $.02
  • Reply 32 of 36
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by gorgonzola:

<strong>

(1) Generally, age has been a remarkably poor measurement of maturity on the internet.

(2) Check your diction. If they're not changing the background, does that make them spoiled or brats?

(3) I'm not changing it either. I've been playing with these toys for years.

Frankly, I see no evidence that the old community is not coming back. The vast majority of the main members of the community were back here on the first day (save Dorsal, but he's a special case).

And frankly, the fact that you're among maybe five or ten people out of 700 that want the background suggests that you are in the minority, not us.

I have nothing personal against changing the background; why would I? If you can actually show me that a large number of people are not coming back because they think the colors are washed out, or a large number of people already here think they're bad and should be changed, I'll have them change the coloring. Five or ten of your cronies isn't going to cut it though.

And watch your attitude. Whining and bitching never got anyone anywhere.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't understand your point 3. what was it reffering to?

5 out of 700? I'm sure there are more than that that prefer the older look but really don't care either way. and do you really thinik there are 700 people here? I see about 30-50 different names post consistently. It's amazing how many registered users there are based on the activity of the place.

as for watching my attitude.. agreed. I apologize for acting like an ass but it REALLY pisses me off when one of you closes a thread because "you think the topic is closed". Don't do that.

[quote]It's their forum. They can put up pics of Barney if they want to.

<hr></blockquote>

great, that's assuring

[quote]You also don't get something when your being a whiney brat either. Actually it usually assures you that you don't get it.

<hr></blockquote>

ot being a whiny brat. they aren't considering it and would rather close it because they think the "the topic is closed"?.

[quote]Today when I was at my sister's house I was using her PC and the background on here really looked bad. Maybe it was just her monitor but it looks much better on a Mac.<hr></blockquote>

see. On my PowerMac G4 with ASD CRT 17 inch its not that bad. I can live with it. But on others such as my Powerbook it doesn't look good. different browsers also make it look different.

[quote]I happen to like the new look. The only complaint I have is the following:

I think the link color needs to stand out more. Here at home with IE 5 + OS 9 it looks alright but when I look at it in OmniWeb they get terribly hard to read. It might have to do with the Cocoa AA method, I don't know. But it might help to have the links stand out more. Just my $.02<hr></blockquote>

again, this is what I am saying. the light grey color is too lite for the text size/color/font. if it was a few shaed darker it would be a lot better.

BTW, I find it interesting you deleted my one sane post about this and then chose to open this thread again. So I'll bring up the question again...

Is it not possible to offer a classic and a new theme for choice?
  • Reply 33 of 36
    [quote]see. On my PowerMac G4 with ASD CRT 17 inch its not that bad. I can live with it. But on others such as my Powerbook it doesn't look good. different browsers also make it look different.<hr></blockquote>

It was a long time ago, but if I recall right the old AI forums looked bad on her monitor too. It's weird tho cuz MacNN looked fine.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    we can't offer a choice.

its not part of the software.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Nevermind...

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: torifile ]</p>
  • Reply 36 of 36
    And Applenut, I don't know what post you're saying we deleted... because, as far as i know, we have not deleted any posts, and it is strictly against our policy to do so. If you have credible information that a post was deleted, please feel free to discuss this with me privately.

Thanks.