Microsoft brings Windows 10's Edge browser to Apple's iPhone in early preview form

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    webraider said:
    I've noticed that uninstall instructions for Mac apps always just say "Drag the app to the trash" but a search that reveals invisible and system files always turns up several related files scattered around the system drive.

Isnt the Mac approach of storing various supporting files in the Library and other folders similar to what Windows does?

Not exactly, and I'll explain why

Most of the time the files that a program installs or creates on a Mac are either text files that the application uses to record things like your registration ID or preferences as to how you want to customize the app.  These are negligible.. If you delete them, the app will simply recreate these again next time you re-launch. If you leave them after you delete the app it's never an issue because it has no impact on your system or other programs.    

Some files that Application can install could be font files (Like Microsoft will install ithe system).. If you uninstall the program by dragging it to the trash those will remain on your system that's correct..  It's very easy to manage your fonts on the Mac because there is an application called font book, but you can also go to the font's folder.  

Here's the thing though,  these are files (Preferences, fonts etc..) that the program does not need to run.. Windows hierarchy although it has been tweaked and is a changing system.. still requires a registry, still relies on file extensions, and will put files that a program needs to run in one directory and in another directory. etc..

This Is why windows must rely on a registry to associate where all those program files (and supporting files) are.  If I change something, or install a program that is not properly prepared, it can disrupt the registry and I run the risk of having a computer that's not useable. (Also like messing with .dll files)

On the Mac all pertinent files needed for that application to run are self contained in the Icon that represents the program.   This icon is actually a folder but I can move it to whatever directly I want.  the Desktop, the Trash, the documents folder.  It will still run.  I can re-title It and it will still run.  Of course you can create short cuts as well.

Last but not least there are 'Extension Type files" that an application can install that modify behavior of the Mac of allow a program to have access to other systems.  An example of this wold be Antivirus software.  These programs usually do include an Un-install feature because they do put some files other directories.  Out of all the program installations mentioned this would appear to be the most windows like.  There aren't many programs that do this, and it is a simple matter of dragging the program to the trash, and removing the extension (which the un-installer will do for you).  Again.. if you remove the extension only, the program will either re-install the extension, or ask you to run the installer again, but no other programs on the Mac will be effected (or the operating system).  If you remove the program, but leave the extension, the effect is negligible. 

So yes.. there are  programs that do install some files in other places, but changing, moving, deleting those files doesn't effect the operating system, and moving the actual program to another directory (Or renaming it) doesn't affect the program.  Most of the time it really is as simple as dragging the program to the trash.  Otherwise, run the uninstall program.  Don't worry about the preference files as they are text documents and take up very little room.

Thanks for taking the time to spell that out.

Follow-up question:

What I got from your explanation is an understanding that Windows is more fragile than macOS when it comes to moving and/or modifying files. My question now is whether that matters in a meaningful way to users?

I switched from Windows to Mac about ten years ago. I prefer the Mac experience overall, but for my "real work" there isn't really a ton of difference in actual use. Using Pro Tools and the Adobe suite, the workflow and operation is pretty much the same regardless of the OS.

There are lots of reasons I choose to stay with Mac and not go back, so I'm not saying Windows is "as good as" or "just the same" as macOS, but I do wonder if there is any significant TECHNICAL reason, not related to personal preference or integrated ecosystem, for a typical user to choose Mac over Windows for their work. As long as I don't move or rename system files, won't the day-to-day work experience be about the same? Is it fair to refer to Windows as a "garbage heap?"

Again, I'm not qualified to make that assessment. My only basis for comparison is as a user of pro-level applications for work. From that perspective, the difference seemed trivial. Am I missing something, or is criticism of Windows more about what CAN happen than what USUALLY happens?
  • Reply 22 of 24
    kkqd1337 said:
    i just downloaded it. it is actually pretty snappy and clean looking on iOS. And lets be serious, a Windows PC is much better than a MacBook, Windows 10 is solid.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Could not get off the floor for 5 minutes after reading this....
  • Reply 23 of 24

Follow-up question:

My question now is whether that matters in a meaningful way to users?
    Yes absolutely.  Not only could this happen but it does happen.  I can't tell you how many people's PC"s I've had to help troubleshoot that has registry issues.  There are so many issues with windows file management system.. Yes Mac is much better in this respect. 
  • Reply 24 of 24
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Meh, all you folks ragging on Windows 10 would likely be much happier running that than Linux.