Unsupported iTunes 12.6.3 enterprise version allows for app management, installation

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
About two weeks after Apple released iTunes 12.7, it made a "legacy" version of iTunes available for enterprise customers that retained app management and installation -- but it is an unsupported configuration.

The iTunes 12.6.3 download was first spotted on Reddit, and is neither secret, nor was it a release intended for the consumer audience. The installer is designed to be the main install of iTunes, and will supersede any prior iTunes 12.7 installation.

It also adds support for iOS11-specific devices, like the iPhone 8, and iPhone X that was lacking on versions of iTunes prior to 12.7.

Despite the ability to perform a bi-directional synchronization eradicated, the ability to install apps and ringtones wasn't completely purged with the jump to iTunes 12.7. Users can still drag and drop properly signed .IPA files (apps), and .m4r (ringtone) files to a device connected to iTunes 12.7, and they will still install.

Apple notes that iTunes 12.6.3 is unsupported, and that the company only provides assistance for the latest version of iTunes. The company suggests that enterprise customers rely on Volume Purchase Program, and the Apple Configurator for enterprise environments.

The download is available for Mac and PC. Given the discovery of the page on by the Reddit user base on Sunday, it is unclear if Apple will leave the download link active, or how long it will actively support the configuration.

As mentioned by Apple in a popup window displayed after installation, iTunes 12.7 places emphasis on music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and audiobooks. Absent from that list is the App Store, which was previously incorporated as a means to preview, purchase and manage iOS apps on registered devices.
jahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    That is bloody good news! Didn’t like it one bit they took away the ability to browse and download apps from the comfort of a big screen. 
    jahbladeargonautlibertyforallbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 2 of 40
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Previously on “As the Apple Turns”

“iTunes is a bloated mess. It’s disgusting, unusable. Get rid of the bloat, remove features, split it up into multiple apps!”

On this episode of “As the Apple Turns”

“They removed MY favorite feature? iTunes is a mess now. It’s disgusting, unusable. Put MY bloat back in.
    Rayz2016macxpressmike1jahbladeSoliStrangeDaysGG1RacerhomieXlibertyforallwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 40
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Apple, not does not allow you to delete certain apps like ITunes. I tried to delete 10.7 and you get an error saying it is part of the operating system is can not be delete. Even if I tried to overwrite 10.7 with the older 10.6.3 from a time machine backup it would not allow it. so I now have two version on my computer since I do not like the fact I can not back load apps from my computer and can only download directly to the IOS device, I have an old Ipad which I use and there are apps on the app store which do not support the ipad and ios 9. This is just another attempt of Apple to kill off older products.
    jahbladebaconstang
  • Reply 4 of 40
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    lkrupp said:

“iTunes is a bloated mess. It’s disgusting, unusable. Get rid of the bloat, remove features, split it up into multiple apps!”
    “They removed MY favorite feature? iTunes is a mess now. It’s disgusting, unusable. Put MY bloat back in.

So true. Everyone agrees on the bloat, but no two people agree on what's essential and what needs to go.
    jahbladeSoliStrangeDayswatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 40
    lkrupp said:

Perhaps, but removing a major feature - Apps - without a suitable replacement is just plain stupid. Personally, I reverted back to iTunes 12.6.2 so I could continue to manage my apps, and download updates. It lets me know when an app has been updated, and that's especially important since so many apps broke under iOS 11.
    kirkgraylibertyforallbaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 40
    benji888benji888 Posts: 135member
    lkrupp said:

Well, they completely took away a major function, when they could have just as easily split it into a separate app, which is what they should do, and what they did ages ago with iBooks, yet you can still use iTunes to sync iBooks to iOS devices. ...So, there’s no real reason Apple had to just delete App Store, they should have either added iOS apps to Mac App Store or break iOS device syncing and the App Store into a separate app from iTunes, use iTunes solely for media. It’s totally realistic, and Apple needs to explain why they do these things.

They also need a lot more how-tos as they become less intuitive.
    libertyforallentropysbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 7 of 40
    lkrupp said:

You are lucky to be able to even use the latest version of iTunes. That 'bloated mess' of an application finds even more new ways to screw up on a Windows 10 installation each and every time we have the misfortune to wipe and re-install it. I have never seen a more anemic install routine that crashes and rolls back constantly over and over....leaving no option but to uninstall and use Revo-Uninstaller again and again. It is the only application for Windows 10 that I can reliably GUARANTEE will not work without a Prayer Ritual and Sacrifice made to the Bloated-Ware Software Gods...on any given PC.
    edited October 2017 singularity
  • Reply 8 of 40
    maestro64 said:
    Apple, not does not allow you to delete certain apps like ITunes. I tried to delete 10.7 and you get an error saying it is part of the operating system is can not be delete. Even if I tried to overwrite 10.7 with the older 10.6.3 from a time machine backup it would not allow it. so I now have two version on my computer since I do not like the fact I can not back load apps from my computer and can only download directly to the IOS device, I have an old Ipad which I use and there are apps on the app store which do not support the ipad and ios 9. This is just another attempt of Apple to kill off older products.
    Ever heard of Apple Configurator? It's available, free of charge, from the Mac AppStore, not that I ever needed it. I too have an iPad 2, with iOS 9, and not even one of the app I bought is broken. Some apps are not supported, like the newer iWork suite, but the App Store gets me the older versions instead.

If it is your opinion that Apple actively kills its older products, I'd think you'd say the other companies just left them to die in their infancy then?
    macpluspluswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    benji888 said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, they completely took away a major function, when they could have just as easily split it into a separate app, which is what they should do, and what they did ages ago with iBooks, yet you can still use iTunes to sync iBooks to iOS devices. ...So, there’s no real reason Apple had to just delete App Store, they should have either added iOS apps to Mac App Store or break iOS device syncing and the App Store into a separate app from iTunes, use iTunes solely for media. It’s totally realistic, and Apple needs to explain why they do these things.

They also need a lot more how-tos as they become less intuitive.
    1) So you want an entirely different Mac/Win app specifically for iOS apps and only for iOS apps? Why just use your iPhone or iPad to install your apps?

2) If that's not one of the "bloat" items are talking about in Apple's music and video player then what other features should be removed before taking out apps?

3) Can Apple win here? As @lkrupp notes, it seems no matter what they do people are going to shit on it.

Personally, I found it easier to find iOS apps via Safari on my Mac as I'm a heavily Mac user and then download via the iTunes portal—which I then immediately delete—but that wasn't a big deal since they have that feature that auto-installs the app on your iDevices… but I've never complained about bloat. What I don't want is having a dozen different apps whereas now I have just one. I'd personally like to have my iBooks built into iTunes, which is odd because audiobooks are still in iTunes (it is audio so that makes sense) but on iOS the Books apps contain audiobooks (which also makes sense because they're books). The problem, for me isn't combining features and services into apps but unsymmetrical divisions.
    edited October 2017 philboogiewatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 40

You can install this version of iTunes 12.6.3 but not over previously installed version 12.7 directly. You will be asked to 'download' the new version once installed.
    I had to downgrade from 12.7 to 12.6 and then install 12.6.3. You can not use Time Machine to go back. While instructions on how to 'downgrade iTunes' are straightforward, it requires Terminal and sudo commands to delete the iTunes app, then replacing the iTunes Library.itl file from a previous version .. then installing 12.6.3  - easy but not something most will likely feel comfortable doing. I have quite a few older iPads around our household so having app management in iTunes remains useful for me.

edited October 2017 kirkgraybaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 40
    jahbladejahblade Posts: 159member
    My DRM tool stop working, when I upgraded to macOS High Sierra. I tried downgrading iTunes "not permitted". Developer response "The High Sierra OS is a big challenge to the entire DRM removal industry, Apple release this operating system to prevent all the third party software to remove DRM from iTunes. We will try our best to find a good solution as soon as possible." I wonder if this can be a solution?

• Reply 12 of 40
    Why not make this a feature of the App Store on the Mac, and create a separate Windows App Store app? That would consolidate the features in more logical places while reducing the scope (and bloat) of iTunes. Apple could even help developers highlight apps that have macOS/iOS features.
    kirkgray
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Why not make this a feature of the App Store on the Mac, and create a separate Windows App Store app? That would consolidate the features in more logical places while reducing the scope (and bloat) of iTunes. Apple could even help developers highlight apps that have macOS/iOS features.
    I can get behind that idea. I'd also like to have the Apple TV's App Store portal there, too, because (as perviously mentioned) I'm a heavy Mac user who find doing everything search intensive much easier on my MacBook Pro over other devices.

PS: Off topic, but speaking of Apple TV, why isn't there an iCloud backup option for your Apple TV setup? As of tvOS 11 there's an option to syncing home screens but it's not quite the same thing. I really didn't enjoy having to re-download apps, organize app, adjust settings, and sign in to every account linked when the same mechanism for upgrading aiPhone, iPad, and Watch already exist.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    maestro64 said:
    Apple, not does not allow you to delete certain apps like ITunes. I tried to delete 10.7 and you get an error saying it is part of the operating system is can not be delete.
    Disable SIP.
  • Reply 15 of 40

You can install this version of iTunes 12.6.3 but not over previously installed version 12.7 directly. You will be asked to 'download' the new version once installed.
    I had to downgrade from 12.7 to 12.6 and then install 12.6.3. You can not use Time Machine to go back. While instructions on how to 'downgrade iTunes' are straightforward, it requires Terminal and sudo commands to delete the iTunes app, then replacing the iTunes Library.itl file from a previous version .. then installing 12.6.3  - easy but not something most will likely feel comfortable doing. I have quite a few older iPads around our household so having app management in iTunes remains useful for me.
    I think this should work:
    cd /Applications/
    sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Soli said:

cd /Applications/
    sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
    I am running macOS High Sierra. I tried the mention process to downgrade iTunes, results "not permitted".
  • Reply 17 of 40
    jahblade said:
    Soli said:

cd /Applications/
    sudo rm -rf iTunes.app/
    I am running macOS High Sierra. I tried the mention process to downgrade iTunes, results "not permitted".
    Here's a more up-to-date and easier way to delete iTunes.

https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-itunes-on-mac.htm

p.s. I liked the bloated mess. Seriously.
    jahbladebaconstang
  • Reply 18 of 40
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    Not to mention that even for single users, it's the best way to configure multiple iOS screens.  
  • Reply 19 of 40
    jahblade said:
    My DRM tool stop working, when I upgraded to macOS High Sierra. I tried downgrading iTunes "not permitted". Developer response "The High Sierra OS is a big challenge to the entire DRM removal industry, Apple release this operating system to prevent all the third party software to remove DRM from iTunes. We will try our best to find a good solution as soon as possible." I wonder if this can be a solution?

I have yet to download and install High Sierra. I have some apps that aren't supported yet and some that will not work. Here's a link to what does and doesn't work. There's also other sites that maybe list more.

https://blog.macsales.com/42416-apps-with-known-high-sierra-compatibility-issues

p.s. Btw, what's the big reason to switch right away to High Sierra.
    jahbladebaconstang
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Here's a more up-to-date and easier way to delete iTunes.

https://www.imobie.com/support/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-itunes-on-mac.htm

p.s. I liked the bloated mess. Seriously.
    Thanks. I will try.