Apple's iPad Pro to gain Face ID with TrueDepth camera in 2018 - report

Posted:
in iPad edited June 2020
After launching next month on the iPhone X, Apple's Face ID technology will reportedly make its way to the iPad in 2018, potentially paving the way for the elimination of the home button on the company's touchscreen tablet.

Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities, who has a strong track record in predicting Apple's future product plans, said on Monday that he believes the iPad Pro lineup will be bolstered by the addition of a TrueDepth camera.

By bringing Face ID and facial recognition capabilities to more of the product lineup, developers will be encouraged to create more applications, further strengthening the company's ecosystem.

Kuo made no mention of design or form factor changes coming to the iPad in 2018, however. Accordingly, he did not say whether such an iPad would sport an OLED display, or ditch the home button, like the iPhone X.

However, Kuo did indicate over a year ago that he expected OLED panels will come to the iPad lineup in 2018. It was in that same report that Kuo correctly predicted three new iPads in early 2017, including a new 10.5-inch screen size for the smaller iPad Pro.

Beyond the iPad, Kuo has also predicted that all high-end iPhones in 2018 will sport Face ID login, replacing Touch ID. This year, Face ID remains exclusive to the iPhone X, and the technology is said to be the source of production bottlenecks ahead of the handset's launch in early November.

Assuming Apple is able to address those concerns by mid 2018, Apple could then be in a position to bring the TrueDepth camera and Face ID to other products like the iPad. The company employed a similar approach with Touch ID, introducing it first on the iPhone 5s and later in the iPad Air 2, before introducing it on the MacBook Pro in late 2016.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    He reportedly released a report last week indicating that they can't make the FaceID hardware fast enough to keep up with demand until the iPhone X is well into its product cycle next year. Where will the hardware come from to support it on iPads? New factories?
    doozydozenleavingthebiggAvieshekrandominternetperson
  • Reply 2 of 36
    Face ID only allows one face to be registered where Touch ID allows many. that is, my wife and kids. The iPad is a device commonly used by many members of the house hold. But now all users except me must know the password to use it. How is this a step forward?
    Avieshekben20netroxxzurandominternetpersonseanismorrisjony0SpamSandwich
  • Reply 3 of 36
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First question, and I am not sure we have an answer to this as of yet, can you unlock the phone with it oriented in any direction of can it only do it with top up so your face it oriented in the same directions.

Which leads me to the next things about the ipad, if it can not unlock in any orientation, i think this is going to be more problematic on the ipad since many time people have it turned sideway. if you have to have it orient in one direction to unlock this could be an issue for people.

Next, if Apple is black logged on the iPhone 10 due to this feature why would they add it to other products. It could be a while before it shows up on the ipad pro. but it an obvious direction apple is heading and it will most likely show up in the mac as well. 

doozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 36
    If iPad Pro says at 264ppi, it worthless to me!
    Avieshek
  • Reply 5 of 36
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    mretondo said:
    Face ID only allows one face to be registered where Touch ID allows many. that is, my wife and kids. The iPad is a device commonly used by many members of the house hold. But now all users except me must know the password to use it. How is this a step forward?
    That's how it is right now,  in a newly launched device, doing something new, there is a decent chance it might be different eventually.
    I myself never use touch ID on an Ipad, this would have more use for me in Apple Pay or the like.
    tmay
  • Reply 6 of 36
    On a mostly bezel-less 12.9" with an OLED display please.
    tmaydoozydozenAvieshek
  • Reply 7 of 36
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    mretondo said:
    Considering this is a rumor.. What would make you think Apple wouldn't consider different types of usage scenarios and make the appropriate changes for iPad? Folks definitely use the iPad differently than they do their personal phones.. 
    calidoozydozenfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 36
    Force Active LCD screens are capable of 4K screen resolution!  Hope all iPads Pros will at least be 401ppi instead of the current 264ppi.
    Avieshekben20xzu
  • Reply 9 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Is he gonna be considered a genius for predicting the predictable?

You know where FaceID will be really useful? Apple Watch.

How is Apple gonna handle online Apple Pay payments with FaceID?
    Nod to pay?
    Automatic pay once you click?
    doozydozenAvieshek
  • Reply 10 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    The screen shows you your face in a window and you have to move 💲emoji over your eyes to verify that you want to make this purchase. It couldn't be easier¡
  • Reply 11 of 36
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    mretondo said:
    iPad was never intended to be a multiuser device.You just allow your family members to use it. You should get a Mac. touchID failed ofen , so multi fingers were allowed. Nothing similar happens on FaceID because of its Much better accuracy.
  • Reply 12 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Ugh. This is not breaking news. He’s only speculating and it doesn’t even appear his speculation is coming from supply chain rumors. Quit treating his guesses as breaking news.
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 13 of 36
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    jcs2305 said:
    mretondo said:
    Considering this is a rumor.. What would make you think Apple wouldn't consider different types of usage scenarios and make the appropriate changes for iPad? Folks definitely use the iPad differently than they do their personal phones.. 
    Because people have been clamoring for Apple to make iPad a multi user device for years now and it’s never happened. Maybe they would allow multiple face identification but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 
  • Reply 14 of 36
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,874member
    Hardly breaking news -- he doesnt have any leaked parts or whatnot, he's just speculating. Something that any and all of us speculated the moment we saw Face ID. Of course it will be adopted elsewhere. There's nothing time-sensitive about this speculation so I fail to understand why it's tagged with the elevated "breaking" attribute. A regularly released newsletter isn't breaking, and plain old speculation isn't breaking. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 36
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    Huh? It will work the same as it does now: safari-based AP payments require you to do a biometric authentication on an iPhone. Whether that is Touch ID or Face ID doesn't matter. And of course there is no silly nodding or whatnot, that's Samsung-style nonsense. 
    RacerhomieXwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 36

Because people have been clamoring for Apple to make iPad a multi user device for years now and it’s never happened. Maybe they would allow multiple face identification but I wouldn’t hold my breath. 
    Apple released support for multiple users in educational environments with iOS 9.3. It's bound to trickle down to consumer installations sooner or later.
    philboogie
  • Reply 17 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    Huh? It will work the same as it does now: safari-based AP payments require you to do a biometric authentication on an iPhone. Whether that is Touch ID or Face ID doesn't matter. And of course there is no silly nodding or whatnot, that's Samsung-style nonsense. 
    So we’ll place our finger on the home button? What if we can’t find it?

The nodding thing is funny have a sense of humor. I’m guessing you’ll just tap the Apple Pay button. 

Soli said:
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    The screen shows you your face in a window and you have to move ߒ⥭oji over your eyes to verify that you want to make this purchase. It couldn't be easier¡
    Maybe the screen will show us as this Animoji

And when Apple realizes we made a crap purchase it’ll change and make us look like sh**. :(
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 18 of 36
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    You obviously don’t have a Watch. To use Apple Pay, I click the side button twice, swipe to the card I want to use, hold it near the payment terminal, it dings almost instantly, and I’m done. What on earth do you need Face ID on the Watch for? You’re authenticated until the heart rate sensor no longer detects your wrist in the band. 
    edited October 2017 bluefire1watto_cobrared oak
  • Reply 19 of 36
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,419member
    Force Active LCD screens are capable of 4K screen resolution!  Hope all iPads Pros will at least be 401ppi instead of the current 264ppi.
    It makes no sense. I have iPad Pro and never once did I think, "It needs to have higher ppi." I mean, I can see pixels if I put my eyes really close to the screen but increasing the density offers diminishing benefits. Performance is very important and it has to be smooth and snappy. 

I didn't get the first generation of iPad because of low pixel density but as soon as it came out with the higher ppi, I bought it. 

I hope Apple will be able to scale up microLED for iPads because it would in theory offer much longer battery life. 

StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 36
    cali said:
    cali said:

Nod to pay?
    So we’ll place our finger on the home button? What if we can’t find it?

The nodding thing is funny have a sense of humor. I’m guessing you’ll just tap the Apple Pay button. 
    I didn't say anything about the home button. I said the process will be the same -- a Safari-initiated AP transaction will still require you to perform a biometric auth on the iPhone. I only tried out a Safari AP transaction one time after it launched just to try it so I don't recall if it pushes a screen-state to the phone or not, but I imagine it will be the same on the X.
    watto_cobra