Microsoft pulls plug on Windows 10 Mobile, says userbase too small to support apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What in the world will Steve Ballmer use now?
    king editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 55
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    "Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft has already been concentrating more of its own app development on iOS and Android, content to do so long as people use the company's services." And if they don't use the kompany's services, Nadella will roar like Sinistar.
    I still shiver to this day...
    king editor the grate
  • Reply 23 of 55
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I wish MS would just stick to making their desktop software better. 
    retrogusto
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Arrogance leads to missing boats. Then catching them may be impossible. Time to learn for Microsoft instead of wasting investors money on failed projects that ran away. On the other hand Apple is at risk of becoming arrogant in some aspects. Keep quality of what you are doing before proceeding to next concept.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    razorpit said:
    "Under CEO Satya Nadella, Microsoft has already been concentrating more of its own app development on iOS and Android, content to do so long as people use the company's services." And if they don't use the kompany's services, Nadella will roar like Sinistar.
    I still shiver to this day...
    I always thought it was kick-buttocks voice synthesis, but recently discovered it was the digitized voice of radio-personality John Doremus. "I hunger."
  • Reply 26 of 55
    maestro64 said:
    Thanks for the memories, Microsoft.

How many phone platforms has Apple Killed off
    Windows Mobile
    BlackBerry
    Symbian

Apple should start holding funeral for all those competitor they buried over the years. But if they did that they would be no better than MS
    Apple and Android rule the roost. Between the two, they've pretty much boxed out anybody else and laid waste to all the other mobile platforms. It would take something revolutionary like say, oh, iOS in 07 to shake up the market again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?
    That was the part I remember the most during their "Release", was the "Funeral Parade".  The sheer arrogance of MSFT, they arrive to the market 3+ years late, without any new features, and then stage a funeral on how they are going to kill Apple.  Then they released a Lumia 1020 with 41 MP camera, when the tech clearly didn't support that level of technology.  No cut and paste, when every competitor already had it.

How many times have they done this same dance?  Surface 1, Surface 2, Surface RT, Kin1 and Kin2, Zune, Windows phones - all cancelled without support, leaving their user base suck with an unsupported platform.  You would think that people would catch on eventually.
    They didn’t arrive to the market late. They had phones years before iPhone. iPhone wasn’t the first phone in the world even though most kids think so. 
    rich gregorychia
  • Reply 28 of 55
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?
    That was the part I remember the most during their "Release", was the "Funeral Parade".  The sheer arrogance of MSFT, they arrive to the market 3+ years late, without any new features, and then stage a funeral on how they are going to kill Apple.  Then they released a Lumia 1020 with 41 MP camera, when the tech clearly didn't support that level of technology.  No cut and paste, when every competitor already had it.

How many times have they done this same dance?  Surface 1, Surface 2, Surface RT, Kin1 and Kin2, Zune, Windows phones - all cancelled without support, leaving their user base suck with an unsupported platform.  You would think that people would catch on eventually.
    They didn’t arrive to the market late. They had phones years before iPhone. iPhone wasn’t the first phone in the world even though most kids think so. 
    The current market is defined by the original iPhone. If there was a market for phones before that, it died when the iPhone arrived, so yeah, MS arrived to the market late.
    calilkrupprandominternetpersonanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 55
    RacerhomieXRacerhomieX Posts: 95unconfirmed, member
    How many abandoned mobile platforms does this make for MS?  Is it any wonder developers want nothing to do with them?  They have the money and smarts to do mobile right.  They apparently don't have the vision or patience to do though.  It's sort of sad.

good joke. The only thing they are good for is PCs with dead end jobs running accounting software.
    cali
  • Reply 30 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Another iPhone killer commits suicide. 
    tmaycaliwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 31 of 55
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    tmay said:
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

The current market is defined by the original iPhone. If there was a market for phones before that, it died when the iPhone arrived, so yeah, MS arrived to the market late.
    MS didn't arrive late. They were too late to change. 
    chiatmaycalianomeanton zuykovStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 32 of 55
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    tmay said:
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

You mean they arrived late to the iPhone copycat market.

Remember Ballmer’s “we are selling millions of phones every year. Apple is selling 0.”
    anton zuykovStrangeDayswatto_cobraretrogustocornchipjony0
  • Reply 33 of 55
    maestro64 said:
    Thanks for the memories, Microsoft.

How many phone platforms has Apple Killed off
    Windows Mobile
    BlackBerry
    Symbian

Apple should start holding funeral for all those competitor they buried over the years. But if they did that they would be no better than MS
    Palm Pré.
    It was felled by the iPhone 3GS and Palm's own quality issues.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    Since google is an advertisement compony and makes users as its product, Windows would be my first choice after iOS. I have used Windows mobile 8 for couple of months and I liked it very much. Of course it is not even close to iOS but it is a decent system and it doesn’t make you feel like you are a product. I gave that phone to my mom and after 3 years, it still works. It did not get slower and basic functions work such as email, internet browsing, photo, music and of course my mom’s only favorite app whatsapp. To be honest there should be alternatives to disgusting android. Blackberry and Microsoft couldn’t fight hard enough I think. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 55
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

No, they weren't late to the market, but they were late to realise that the market had changed, and they had to adapt. MS were arguably at the top of the "smartphone" market prior to 2007, and mistakenly believed that meant they understood it. They failed to realise that, rather than having the best platform, they just had the least bad platform available. They were completely unprepared for anyone to bring something better to market, and for users to start buying it. Then they relied way too much on people sticking with the familiar - people know Windows, so let's run Windows on everything - rather than trying to innovate.

It would be trite to say it was all Ballmer's fault. There were a lot of people involved in a series of bad decisions, but as CEO at the time, Ballmer does have to take a lot of the blame.

tmaycaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 55
    I won't be surprised to see MS port a variant of Android with all MS apps & services default. They're already working with hardware partners to include MS Apps by default. It would fit well with their new embrace of Linux and Android. How many enterprise customers would jump if MS built the hooks to manage and sign-on through Active Directory/Exchange/Windows Server at device/root level? WinDroid?...lol
  • Reply 37 of 55
    How many times have they done this same dance?  Surface 1, Surface 2, Surface RT, Kin1 and Kin2, Zune, Windows phones - all cancelled without support, leaving their user base suck with an unsupported platform.  
    And MAN are those three people ever mad!!!
    randominternetpersoncali
  • Reply 38 of 55
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    cali said:
    tmay said:
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

Remember Ballmer’s “we are selling millions of phones every year. Apple is selling 0.”
    It seems that you imply that Apple copied MS; surely a joke, right? Your defense actually make MS look even more incompetent.

Ballmer wasn't bright enough to realize that the iPhone was a disruption in the mobile market, but then, neither did most to the existing leaders. Samsung is one of the few profitable survivors. I can't think of another offhand.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    anome said:
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

No, they weren't late to the market, but they were late to realise that the market had changed, and they had to adapt. MS were arguably at the top of the "smartphone" market prior to 2007, and mistakenly believed that meant they understood it. They failed to realise that, rather than having the best platform, they just had the least bad platform available. They were completely unprepared for anyone to bring something better to market, and for users to start buying it. Then they relied way too much on people sticking with the familiar - people know Windows, so let's run Windows on everything - rather than trying to innovate.

It would be trite to say it was all Ballmer's fault. There were a lot of people involved in a series of bad decisions, but as CEO at the time, Ballmer does have to take a lot of the blame.

Don't go easy on Ballmer.  Even when the iPhone came out, he still refused to see the way forward.
    tmaycaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 55
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    tmay said:
    cali said:
    tmay said:
    cali said:
    hodar said:
    eightzero said:
    When is the funeral?

It seems that you imply that Apple copied MS; surely a joke, right? Your defense actually make MS look even more incompetent.

Ballmer wasn't bright enough to realize that the iPhone was a disruption in the mobile market, but then, neither did most to the existing leaders. Samsung is one of the few profitable survivors. I can't think of another offhand.
    No, I think cali is saying that MS was indeed in the market of smart-phones (remember Windows CE?) and thus not late to the market, but that they just failed to do what everybody else did and copy Apple.
    watto_cobra