Watch: Apple's iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 7 Plus cameras compared

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Though the cameras in Apple's latest iPhones boast the same megapixel count as last year's models, the new devices sport greatly improved internal components, from "deeper" pixels to an upgraded image signal processor. See how the new hardware compares to its predecessor in this video.

Check out a few stills from our comparison:

For reviews, news, tips, features and more, subscribe to AppleInsider on YouTube.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Great job on the comparisons!
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Wait until you see the 9 Plus. I'm sure it'll make the 8 Plus look like last year's iPhone :)

No seriously, if you think the 8 Plus is da bomb, wait for the 9 Plus.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Or if you don't want to wait, iPhone 8 Plus has the best camera of all iPhones right now. It is out now and waiting for you to pick it up in the store. Go!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member

Funny thing, DXO seemingly doesn't compared just about everything that makes a camera different from just a  set of optics and a sensor, with no electronics linked to it.

It rates the Pixel high when if you look at pictures in difficult / quick  conditions it always loses.
    Even in static shots it seems to be evaluating in a very opaque way.

Ask anyone in DSLR what they think of DXO in relation to actually what you should buy as a camera.
    pscooter63tmay
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Nice salestalk, but all this improvmement is just incremental. Throwing so much money on a phoney cam yearly, one could have bought a decent DSLR instead of comparing this depressing phone camera fluff.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 6 of 16
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

I do not yet have one of the new cameras (in line for the X).  But I noticed the new editing knobs in Photos in High Sierra, are really terrific. MUCH better than prior versions.  I assume the pix used in the article are left in the default condition,  I can't wait to try the new camera!
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    Bacillus3 said:
    Nice salestalk, but all this improvmement is just incremental. Throwing so much money on a phoney cam yearly, one could have bought a decent DSLR instead of comparing this depressing phone camera fluff.
    True -- and they also would have missed that great picture of their grandkid because the SLR was back at home.   For a pro, photography is about great pictures.   But, for most, it's about getting beautiful pictures of great moments.  The iPhone has changed picture taking forever.
    jony0
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Bacillus3 said:
    Sitting on a bench and demand disruptive innovations be delivered for your own entertainment, like, every 5th minute, is surely an indication of a strong grasp of reality...
    That is not going to happen, because if that was so easy to roll out such a disruptive tech, then it would not be disruptive, by definition, because it would be casual. Now, you are at the square 1 with the same "incremental changes".
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Bacillus3 said:
    There’s a reason why DSLR sales are decreasing yearly. They can’t do what a phone with camera can such as post process and share to social media shortly after pics are taken; DSLR are bulky and heavy compare to an iPhone; people have their phones with them almost always wherever they go. DSLR is more of a specialize tool and not designed for an average consumer though the DSLR manufacturer claim it to be, their product just can’t compare to a phone camera ease of use and social media posting. However, there lots of things a phone camera can’t do a DSLR can but those are on a more technical level that most people who post on social media just don’t care about. 
    edited October 2017 jony0
  • Reply 10 of 16
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

First on someone actually doing a side by side with taking the exact same photo with both camera's unlike what we saw on the Samsung comparison to the IPhone which the pictures were all different even on the same subject matter. I would be curious to see how 8 rate against the Pixel since Google claims it got a 93 on some independent website whole google allow them to play with the phone ahead of time.

It looks like someone on the IA staff is expecting a new addition to their household.

• Reply 11 of 16
    Bacillus3 said:
    True -- and they also would have missed that great picture of their grandkid because the SLR was back at home.   For a pro, photography is about great pictures.   But, for most, it's about getting beautiful pictures of great moments.  The iPhone has changed picture taking forever.

Have to agree, the phone is just replacing one of these which people use to carry around all the time.. and if you never took pictures with these and waited to see how your pictured turned out you do not know what you are missing.

Followed by this

Followed by this

then Followed by these

But was never intended to replace these since Lens can not be replaced by software affects. The phone is getting close but you can still do things with these which we can not do with a phone.

If your really good one of these

• Reply 12 of 16
    Bacillus3 said:

Have to agree, the phone is just replacing one of these which people use to carry around all the time.. and if you never took pictures with these and waited to see how your pictured turned out you do not know what you are missing.

Followed by this

Followed by this

then Followed by these

But was never intended to replace these since Lens can not be replaced by software affects. The phone is getting close but you can still do things with these which we can not do with a phone.

If your really good one of these

• Reply 13 of 16
    I didn’t catch if both cameras were producing jpegs or not. would be nice to have that in the labels as well. Even better would be a three way comparison, 7-jpg, 8-jpc, 8-hevc.

I think the evolution of the camera with each model is a compelling reason to get a newer model. i’m wondering if the iphone x will have some slight difference as well.

I have a iphone 6+ and the focusing seems to have gotten much slower.  Was more of the image processing done by the general cpu in the older models vs a seperate image processor in the newer ones?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Hey guys, it’s Max that did this comparison. Most of these were shot with JPEG on both which is better in image quality than HEIF in some conditions and both using iOS 11. 

I own 7 high end cameras and a wide variety of lenses for my media company but most of my personal images are taken with iPhones because I always have it and the image quality is now good enough (especially with the portrait mode) for personal use. Even though I have a few high end compact mirrorless cameras it’s still combersome to take one along for a few shots and then transfer files and edit. If I know we are going to take a lot of photos I’ll take a camera along, and if course I use them for any paid work but for everything else the iPhone does a good job. 

Photography/filmmaking is my career so I notice any differences right away, and I gladly welcome any improvements to mobile cameras like what Apple has done with the latest iPhones. 
    Kenster999
  • Reply 15 of 16
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    MaxYuryev said:
    Hey guys, it’s Max that did this comparison. Most of these were shot with JPEG on both which is better in image quality than HEIF in some conditions and both using iOS 11. 

I own 7 high end cameras and a wide variety of lenses for my media company but most of my personal images are taken with iPhones because I always have it and the image quality is now good enough (especially with the portrait mode) for personal use. Even though I have a few high end compact mirrorless cameras it’s still combersome to take one along for a few shots and then transfer files and edit. If I know we are going to take a lot of photos I’ll take a camera along, and if course I use them for any paid work but for everything else the iPhone does a good job. 

Photography/filmmaking is my career so I notice any differences right away, and I gladly welcome any improvements to mobile cameras like what Apple has done with the latest iPhones. 
    Do you have access to a Pixel2, cause the claims about the quality seemingly never matches the images shown EVER. Not even sure wth DXO is basing their analysis on.
    Also, static shots are "cool",but its in the hability to take shots quick in the flow of life that really distinguishes and Iphone from the competition. If it takes 1 second from time you whip out the camera to taking the shot correctly (non blurry). Well, that's too slow.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    If the 8 seems to do a much better job than the 7, I wonder how much better it is to the 6 that had a bigger pixel, but lower pixel count (8 vs 12 Mpix)