Amazon launches waterproof, 7-inch $250 Kindle Oasis with metal chassis

Posted:
in General Discussion
Online retailer Amazon continues to improve its black-and-white e-ink Kindle reader lineup, with its latest model being a new $250 Kindle Oasis with 7-inch display and a waterproof design.

Hailing it as the "most advanced Kindle e-reader ever," the next-generation Kindle Oasis is the first waterproof Kindle, with a rating of IPX8.

Priced at $249.99, the new Kindle Oasis is now available for preorder. It begins shipping to customers at the end of the month, on Oct. 31.

The 7-inch e-ink display features a 300 pixel-per-inch density that Amazon says fits over 30 percent more words per page. Improved internal hardware also allows for the fastest page turns of any Kindle e-reader.

The Kindle Oasis has a larger bezel on one side with page turn buttons, allowing for easy use when holding with one hand. When rotated, the Oasis screen automatically turns to suit the user's orientation. The display is also a touchscreen.

The new Oasis has also been improved with the strongest cover glass Amazon has used to date, and it has a new aluminum chassis. Even with those changes, it tapers to a 3.4-millimeter-thin design and weighs 194 grams, which is 10 less than the Kindle Paperwhite.

The entry-level $250 model features 8 gigabytes of storage, doubling that of the first Kindle Oasis. Capacity can be increased to 32 gigabytes for $280 -- though both price points come "with special offers."

Buyers who want to opt out from Amazon advertising will pay $270 for the 8-gigabyte model, and $300 for the 32-gigabyte capacity.

In addition, a $350 ariant with free cellular connectivity includes 32 gigabytes of storage and lacks "special offers."

As with other Kindle hardware, the new Oasis syncs with other platforms and devices, including the Kindle app for Apple's iOS, through what Amazon dubs its Whispersync technology.

"Ten years ago, we introduced our first Kindle with the mission of delivering any book ever written in 60 seconds or less," said Dave Limp, Senior Vice President, Amazon Devices and Services. "With a larger 7-inch, 300 ppi display, waterproof design, and Audible built right in, the all-new Kindle Oasis is our most advanced Kindle ever. Its thin, light, and waterproof design allows readers to stay engaged in the author's world in even more places than ever before."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    $250 for an 8GB, black and white tablet that can pretty much do nothing besides black text on a page, and it STILL comes with built in advertising? Holy shit.
    jbdragonpscooter63caliStrangeDaysbeowulfschmidttallest skiljony0
  • Reply 2 of 18
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member

Do you think it comes with instructions on how to change the light bulbs?
  • Reply 3 of 18
    slurpy said:
    $250 for an 8GB, black and white tablet that can pretty much do nothing besides black text on a page, and it STILL comes with built in advertising? Holy shit.

Yup, and I just pre-ordered the $350 32GB with free cellular.  The thing about a Kindle is its a single purpose device, but its really good at its one purpose.  I totally get why people would consider this a rip off, but if you are an avid reader who travels, I can't imagine a better device.  I read on my phone in a pinch, but I can read on my Kindle for an entire trip and never have to recharge, no eye strain and I can carry my entire library with me.  Sure, it duplicates capabilities of other devices, but its much better at that one task than the other devices.  That being said, the Kindle paperwhite is a much better device for most people, and if your a casual reader(ie maybe a book or less a month) then just use your iPhone or iPad(or go old school and buy a physical book). 
    edited October 2017 schlackbeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I'm somewhat surprised Kindles are still selling in quantity. I have a much older Kindle and it's nice to have if you just want to read a book, but I simply had the feeling the Kindle's best days have passed. Sort of like how the iPod lost favor to the iPhone. Believe me, I'm not saying the Kindle is no longer useful or anything like that. More power to Amazon if Kindles are still selling well. Still... I never see anyone using Kindles and most consumers usually have their noses hovering above their generic smartphones which appear to be everyone's go-to device. After buying some expensive flagship smartphone, I can't actually imagine someone also buying a Kindle. I suppose there's a Kindle market for those who want to upgrade from older Kindles, however, I won't be one of those people. This new Kindle seems like a sweet device, though.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I'm somewhat surprised Kindles are still selling in quantity. I have a much older Kindle and it's nice to have if you just want to read a book, but I simply had the feeling the Kindle's best days have passed. Sort of like how the iPod lost favor to the iPhone. Believe me, I'm not saying the Kindle is no longer useful or anything like that. More power to Amazon if Kindles are still selling well. Still... I never see anyone using Kindles and most consumers usually have their noses hovering above their generic smartphones which appear to be everyone's go-to device. After buying some expensive flagship smartphone, I can't actually imagine someone also buying a Kindle. I suppose there's a Kindle market for those who want to upgrade from older Kindles, however, I won't be one of those people. This new Kindle seems like a sweet device, though.
    I have two young grandsons. I do not want them to surf internet easily. I want to give them just readers. The iPad does not seem to serve this purpose. 
    jony0
  • Reply 6 of 18
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I have my new 12.9" iPad Pro, but I've have a Kindle. it's my second one. The one I have is a year or so old Paperwhite one. I like the small size, the screen is clear. It's really like reading a book. Say a book with a book light. So the light is shining down onto the page, unlike a LCD where the light is behind and shining up into your eye's. When you're reading a book for a few hours, it's much better on your eye's with the light pointing at the page then up into your face. I paid $120 for it. Which is more reasonable then the other 2 higher priced models including the most expensive Oasis version.

I think the PaperWhite version is the best. It has a nice 6" screen which lights up on the front of the display. The price is right at $120. If you like the read books a Kindle does that really nice. I have a nice 3rd party case on mine. The battery lasts for quite some time.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    This ugly thing is overpriced!!

8 and 32GB versions?

Why is Amazon trying to be like Apple? They never mentioned storage because Kindles hold thousands of books. It may be an excuse to charge you more.

I was excited to see the next Kindle, didn’t know it was gonna be this useless garbage. The Kindle Voyage is still the best one.

If Apple had an e-ink mode I wouldn’t want a Kindle. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 18
    cali said:
    8 and 32GB versions?

Why is Amazon trying to be like Apple? They never mentioned storage because Kindles hold thousands of books. It may be an excuse to charge you more.

I assume it's because, unlike the other Kindles, the new Oasis supports Audible audio books which take up more space. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 9 of 18
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    slurpy said:

Yup, and I just pre-ordered the $350 32GB with free cellular.  The thing about a Kindle is its a single purpose device, but its really good at its one purpose.  I totally get why people would consider this a rip off, but if you are an avid reader who travels, I can't imagine a better device.  I read on my phone in a pinch, but I can read on my Kindle for an entire trip and never have to recharge, no eye strain and I can carry my entire library with me.  Sure, it duplicates capabilities of other devices, but its much better at that one task than the other devices.  That being said, the Kindle paperwhite is a much better device for most people, and if your a casual reader(ie maybe a book or less a month) then just use your iPhone or iPad(or go old school and buy a physical book). 
    I think the point here is about the price point vs mandatory ads. Can you imagine a $250 ipod that had ads?!
  • Reply 10 of 18
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    cali said:
    8 and 32GB versions?

I assume it's because, unlike the other Kindles, the new Oasis supports Audible audio books which take up more space. 
    Weirdly enough, my "Kindle Keyboard" (the third version) supports Audible audiobooks. It even has built-in speakers and a headphone jack. I got a Voyage a few months back and was surprised they dropped that functionality.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    slurpy said:

Have to agree. They’re going to sell a truckload of these next Summer, just before the beach season hits. 

Easy to read in strong sunlight. 
    Sand and water proof
    Less of an issue than losing an iPad. 

Sounds like a winner to me. 

• Reply 12 of 18

jbdragon said:
    I have my new 12.9" iPad Pro, but I've have a Kindle. it's my second one. The one I have is a year or so old Paperwhite one. I like the small size, the screen is clear. It's really like reading a book. Say a book with a book light. So the light is shining down onto the page, unlike a LCD where the light is behind and shining up into your eye's. When you're reading a book for a few hours, it's much better on your eye's with the light pointing at the page then up into your face. I paid $120 for it. Which is more reasonable then the other 2 higher priced models including the most expensive Oasis version.

I think the PaperWhite version is the best. It has a nice 6" screen which lights up on the front of the display. The price is right at $120. If you like the read books a Kindle does that really nice. I have a nice 3rd party case on mine. The battery lasts for quite some time.
    Buying new, I agree, the Paperwhite is probably the one to get. I managed to snag a used Voyage with 3G and no ads for about $105, though, and I am very happy with it.

I'm a little surprised they dropped the charging cover idea in this model of Oasis. It's also a lot heavier than the original Oasis (194g versus 131g or 133g without the cover). It's even heavier than the Voyage, though it's more ergonomic to hold, so it should feel less fatiguing in the hand. Supporting the Voyage with my little finger starts to hurt after a while.

One nice benefit of the new model: prices for used original Oasis units will probably crash very soon as people upgrade. I may pick one up in a few months.
  • Reply 13 of 18

I think the point here is about the price point vs mandatory ads. Can you imagine a $250 ipod that had ads?!
    Yeah, I get where that would be an issue.  I currently use a Kindle Voyage and it was the first kindle device I owned that had adds.  I figured I would just pay the 20 bucks and remove the adds, but I found they don't bother me, since they don't appear when reading.  I do think they should have the base price listed as $270, with the option to discount to $250 if you accept the adds.  Being cynical, I realize most of amazon's hardware exist with the sole purpose to sell me more stuff.  I guess(in my mind) I accept it because I know I purchased this device as a portal to purchase and consume more content from Amazon. 
  • Reply 14 of 18
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    doesn't the back look really awkward to hold on?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    netrox said:
    doesn't the back look really awkward to hold on?

Only because it's pictured sideways (from the back).  I assume it works well holding it with one hand, and I further assume that you can "flip" it if you like to hold books with your left hand.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Rayz2016 said:
    slurpy said:

Have to agree. They’re going to sell a truckload of these next Summer, just before the beach season hits. 

Easy to read in strong sunlight. 
    Sand and water proof
    Less of an issue than losing an iPad. 

Sounds like a winner to me. 

It is important to note that this device is not what I would call "sand-proof". Sand will almost certainly scratch the screen glass.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    How many Kindles are there?
  • Reply 18 of 18
    slurpy said:

What you both said.  My Kindle is the best reading experience I've ever had on a device.  This includes iPhone 3G/4/6/7, iPad Mini, iPad and Nook.  For me, there is no comparison between the Kindle and iPhone screens for reading frequently or for long periods.  Kindle wins by a mile.  As you say, casual readers needn't bother with the extra expense, though.

That said, I also agree with the previous comment.  For anything close to $250, it ought to be ad free.  For $150, I could happily put up with ads, but nothing over 200.