iPhone X took over two years to develop, marks new chapter in iPhone design, says Jony Ive...

Comments

• Reply 41 of 90
    My first Apple product was a IIe. My first Mac was a Mac IIfx. I currently own 5 Apple products. I own APPL stock. I have NO doubt that Face Recognition could very well be the biggest fiasco Apple has ever had to deal with.
  • Reply 42 of 90
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    My first Apple product was a IIe. My first Mac was a Mac IIfx. I currently own 5 Apple products. I own APPL stock. I have NO doubt that Face Recognition could very well be the biggest fiasco Apple has ever had to deal with.
    Please explain....
    JWSCDon.AndersenStrangeDaysLukeCagecalifastasleeptallest skil
  • Reply 43 of 90
    mrboba1 said:
    AI_lias said:
     I see some comments about the notch. The test question is this: would you like the notch if you saw it on an Android phone? And the answer is, you would ridicule it, whether you want to admit it or not. So, no, the notch is not good. The thing is this: do you think the Face ID is worth the notch? The alternative is to use Touch ID on the back side, and whatever there is left to put on the front, would probably fit in the edge that would be left at the top, since iPhone X bezels are quite thick for a "bezel-less" phone. In my opinion, Touch ID is just fine, and did not need to be replaced with a fancy Face ID. And putting it on the back would not have been that bad. It would not have been the first thing we copied from the Android side.
    Hardly. I think all this crap about some notch is some sort of wart on a phone is ridiculous at best, no matter who may have put one there. Also, it has been in the hands of only a very few, and pictures of phones never do reality any justice.

Most of the time it will be filled with informational stuff, just like the top is now. It will be a non-issue except for those who just want to nit-pick.
    That informational stuff on top can make the notch unnoticeable, I agree. The marketing department made a mistake IMHO by using pictures emphasizing the notch so much. In actual usage the notch will be barely noticeable in portrait orientation, noticeable only if you enlarge the content to fill the screen.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 44 of 90
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    mr o said:
    A silver back would make this iPhone truly irresistible. With chrome edges, it would make iPhone X very reminiscent to the original iPhone. Perhaps with iPhone X series 2?
    Would you like to put some tail fins on it as well for a really retro feel?  😆
    randominternetpersonAI_lias
  • Reply 45 of 90
    AI_lias said:
    ...since iPhone X bezels are quite thick for a "bezel-less" phone. 
    I'm good with that, actually. It insets the content past the edge curve of the glass, and as such you don't get oddball distortions you get near the edges of other edge-to-edge designs like the Galaxy.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 46 of 90
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    tshapi said:
    Of course it was. I can’t believe people are stupid enough to think that something like FaceID was added at the last minute because TouchID under the screen wasn’t ready. Or that Apple sits around to see what others do and then copies them.
    I do also think that face id was intended to accompany Touch ID, but since they couldn’t get Touch ID to work to there standards under the screen they went on the PR stance that it was always intended to replace Touch ID. 

First of all, face id apparently can’t handle multiple faces atm. So retina id or Touch ID would rectify this. 
    The only machines capable of multiple user accounts do not currently have Face ID. 

I do have separate accounts on the Mac for personal and studio use, though, which are currently identified through different fingers (which makes switching back and forth between accounts as simple as pressing the button with alternating fingers). That scenario I don’t see Face ID taking over. :smile: 
    philboogie
  • Reply 47 of 90
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Rayz2016 said:
    So, Ive says the iPhone X is a new “chapter”, not the “ultimate expression” of the iPhone. The previous “expressions” of iPhone will persist. Touch ID will persist, iPhone X doesn’t signal its replacement. Face ID may be better, more natural, not invasive but it can’t replace Touch ID in all cases. It is ineffective against twins and kids below 13 years old.
    That’s quite a leap. 

When he said it’s not the ultimate expression, I think he meant he’s not done designing iPhones yet. This is a new chapter, not the last chapter. Pretty much everything else he said indicates that he’s fully onboard with FaceID as the “no touch” expression of the future. 

We shall have to see how it works with twins and the under thirteens. I reckon Apple is playing it cautious while they improve the technology. 
    While society gets comfortable with the tech and comes to understand that the user’s face is not sent to any servers, not even captured/stored as a recognizable image.  
  • Reply 48 of 90
    holyone said:
    ... IMO killing touch ID is a horrendous mistake and is testament to Apple being technology drunk ...

... Face ID seems like a fan boy geeking out with little thought beyond the obvious ...

Has it not dawned on you that Face ID is far more secure than Touch ID ever could be?

Don.Andersenrandominternetpersoncali
  • Reply 49 of 90
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    holyone said:
    mr o said:
    At first I was horrified, but I must admit, the notch has grown on me … I really like it, it makes the iPhone distinguishable.

A silver back would make this iPhone truly irresistible. With chrome edges, it would make iPhone X very reminiscent to the original iPhone. Perhaps with iPhone X series 2?

>:x
    That's the Apple reality distortion effect ;), just teasing. The all metal back would be cool, but ( "Air power" stupid name ) won't work I think, so nuts to that unfortunately, unless you mean a mirro back off cause, which I don't know why they never did with this first gen honestly, oh well. I just never got the bitching about the notch, it's kinda like the camera bump, it's not esthetical it's technical any one with half a brain should be able realize this, a notch less iPhone is a very long way away.
    It’s not so much your comments, but your ridiculous username and photo...
  • Reply 50 of 90
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    AI_lias said:
     I see some comments about the notch. The test question is this: would you like the notch if you saw it on an Android phone? And the answer is, you would ridicule it, whether you want to admit it or not. 

If you reckon you know what people think then it’s really a waste of time posting then, isn’t it. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 90
    They should simply have blocked any developer access to the two Notch-Ears. Leave them ALWAYS running with a solid-black background and light-text providing phone-status data ...
    That’s what I thought they were going to do prior to the event.  But it seems that the tide is already turning from rabid dissatisfaction to acceptance and even, maybe, fondness.

Time and daily use will be the final judge.
    tmay
  • Reply 52 of 90
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    holyone said:
    "Discussing the inner workings of iPhone X, Ive said the inclusion of Face ID is the culmination of years of work toward a non-contact user interface. From a user's perspective, features that do not require physical interaction make a device feel simpler, yet at the same time more robust. Ive goes on to say the replacement of Touch ID, a capacitive fingerprint reading solution included in all iPhone models since iPhone 5s, equates to a heightened user experience." Wow Jony what dubious reasoning, sure raising the iPhone and have it ready and unlocked with out interaction is less friction, but the home button paradigm was just as simple considering that you don't just look at iPhone X and have it read youre mind thus forfulling this zero interaction premiss, you still have to touch the phone to interacting with it and since you're going to touch the phone any ways using one of those " touchese" for biometric features is just as clean I think. The fact is the iPhone user experience is still firmly interaction heavy and very much "heightened", IMO killing touch ID is a horrendous mistake and is testament to Apple being technology drunk, technological fetuses are just being thrown in there for technology sake with weak and half assed though, the touch bar in MBP's which though not completely useless is just there because Apple can put it there and serves little els, the cylindrical Mac which looked great but was as a result of technology allowing it and no other consideration, if you looking at where those things are now its disappointing. Personally I'm thrilled with Face ID I've been hoping for it on the MBs and iMacs forever but it should have been in addition to Touch ID not replacement for it, not that the X in not great, but Face ID seems like a fan boy geeking out with little thought beyond the obvious, this becomes clear if you unbiasedly consider "simplicity" in touch ID Apple pay and face ID Apple pay. But hey who cares when all that matters is profits on top of profits, shout out to sog 35 ;) and to Strange Days and gang unless to challenge points above please spare me, thanks
    Regarding the ‘technology drunk’ view, this doesn’t exactly hold water.  FaceID as a replacement for TouchID frees up space in the handset while providing far greater security.  The touch bar on tne Mac is a fine replacement for fixed function keys that needed to be Shifted, Ctrl’d, or Alt’d to expand beyond single use.  The litmus test is not a comparison to what many are accustomed to.  The litmus test is which solution you would choose had both been available from the start.  To my mind a dynamic touch bar wins out easily over a row of fixed keys.  To my mind a more secure face recognition solution wins out over an extra component that’s less secure, is subject to smudges and dirt and other means of failure.  As to Apple Pay, those who have been paying attention are aware that the process is equally simple via FaceID versus  TouchID.

Again youre points satisfy the underlining reasoning of, and to quote Jony him self when introducing touch ID as something that was not, "technology for technology's sake" which is in violation of sacred principles that design should not accommodate technology but technology should accommodate design which should accommodate usability. an iPhone is a tool and the best made tools are those that in their evolution impose the least transion cost. When touch ID was implemented it was in a way that was intrinsic to how the iPhone's home screen operated such that it wasn't even an adoption, it was seamless.

My annoyance isn't with the technology it self nor how it works but with the sentiment that face ID is better on any level that (Face ID+Touch ID), and even more annoying is that it was to setify a shallow tech feature of edge to edge display. The argument here is that you have a screen as big as the 7Plus in a form factor of the 7, in design terms this means that the screen then is high in importants in this paradigm, but the X screen has a distinctive notch distruping this very primary focal point of the design objective, thus making the screen subject to the FID tech wich is primarily there so an iPhone can loose the home button and have an edge to edge display wich Offcause is a circular argument, this does not make sence.

To you're point about the touch bar, it's dynamic nature dose not compensate for the fact that you have to look at it to use it, a tool you coud once use blind folded becomes less usefull when that ability tied to productivity is removed. You're point about apple pay is true depending on how you look at it which is to my point that, there's little gained other then face ID being mathematically more secure which Offcause is irrelevant since touch ID is still an industry's best and I don't know of any instance where it has been defeated, as to do so still requires a great deal of effort.

The point which can't get through because people are too infatuated with the new and the shinny is that a door with two locks is just more secure. I challenge you to offer a reason why face ID would not work on the 8 and 8Plus in their current form and home button with out referencing shallow narow minded things like smaller size big screen and I'd be more then willing to never coment on this subject again.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 53 of 90
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

:smiley: 

Did anyone guess precisely where this was going long before he reached the end of his Apple kit list?
    JWSCsphericDon.AndersenStrangeDayscalidsd
  • Reply 54 of 90
    Rayz2016 said:
    holyone said:
    mr o said:
    At first I was horrified, but I must admit, the notch has grown on me … I really like it, it makes the iPhone distinguishable.

That's the Apple reality distortion effect ;), just teasing. The all metal back would be cool, but ( "Air power" stupid name ) won't work I think, so nuts to that unfortunately, unless you mean a mirro back off cause, which I don't know why they never did with this first gen honestly, oh well. I just never got the bitching about the notch, it's kinda like the camera bump, it's not esthetical it's technical any one with half a brain should be able realize this, a notch less iPhone is a very long way away.
    I didn’t catch a single word of that. 
    Ok simpler 

Its funny that you went from horrified to adoration with out ever using the phone or holding it in you're hands

I don't know if by reminiscent of the original by silver back you mean shiny metal back or reflective mirror like glass back, with the later inductive charging wouldn't probably work and the former I'm not sure why Apple didn't do it that way now This complaining about the notch is senseless as it is a technical concession not an aesthetic choice, much like the camera bump. Technologically an iPhone with out the notch in an edge to edge display is a long way away. Naming a charging matt something so cheesy like "Air Power" calls into question Phill's gang if they are responsible honestly .  
  • Reply 55 of 90
    netmage said:
    holyone said:
    you still have to touch the phone to interacting with it and since you're going to touch the phone any ways using one of those " touchese" for biometric features is just as clean I think.
    Perhaps you haven't heard of a little feature Apple added a few generations ago called Siri?
    Oh please don't make me laugh.
  • Reply 56 of 90
    freerange said:
    holyone said:
    mr o said:

It’s not so much your comments, but your ridiculous username and photo...
    Ah freerange that's mean :(
  • Reply 57 of 90
    spice-boy said:
    It is likely that if I were to purchase the iPhone X my life would change in any meaningful way. Jony is quite the salesman. 
    Ah, 'marketing.' The ultimate ego defense and the last bastion of the apple-hating troll. An exaggeration based on a hint of truth that allows the Apple-hater to remain in their delusional world, where they can endlessly attack the Apple windmill they've created in their minds. The final pin that never falls. Keep fighting spice-boy, you can do it.
    Don.AndersenStrangeDayscali
  • Reply 58 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    They should simply have blocked any developer access to the two Notch-Ears. Leave them ALWAYS running with a solid-black background and light-text providing phone-status data (or turned-off completely by user's choice) and nothing more.  Then we would not all be sitting here complaining about how silly the iPhone X 'Notch-Bar' equipment looks. Just as there are cameras and sensors on every other smartphone out there hidden behind the screen-glass. Nobody ever dumps on them.
    Then there would be an asymmetrical screen, since the top would have a virtual forehead but the bottom lacked a chin, rendering to the bottom corners. This would be weird. 
  • Reply 59 of 90

So, Ive says the iPhone X is a new “chapter”, not the “ultimate expression” of the iPhone. The previous “expressions” of iPhone will persist. Touch ID will persist, iPhone X doesn’t signal its replacement. Face ID may be better, more natural, not invasive but it can’t replace Touch ID in all cases. It is ineffective against twins and kids below 13 years old.
    And Touch ID is useless if you don’t have fingers or use your phone in the rain. So what? A solution doesn’t have to cover every conceivable edge case. The passcode is still what secures the device, a biometric authentication is a convienent second factor. 

The home button will eventually become a relic. Writing is on the wall. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 60 of 90
    5 devices? bro...you gotta read this thread:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/202241/