Apple Watch Series 3 with cellular and watchOS 4 have changed how I use my watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    rob53 said:
    nhughes said:
    rob53 said:
    I really would like to hear about cleaning and sanitizing of the Apple Watch. Has anyone found Apple documented information on how to properly remove material from the watch? I'm not talking about simple moisture, I'm talking about lotion, food, soda pop, barf, in other words all the normal things a watch comes in contact with. Simply using a dry cloth isn't going to help, especially if you're in a hospital.
    I responded to your barf inquiry on the review thread earlier, but the short version is: Just wash it in the sink.
    Says who, you? Where does Apple say it can simply be washed in a sink? With only water, soap, disinfectants? Are you willing to accept liability for your statement? I no longer have access to anyone at Apple so if you do, please ask Apple. I'd appreciate a better answer than just wash it in a sink.

Says Apple, since the first-gen watch.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/12/29/how-to-fix-a-sticky-digital-crown-on-your-apple-watch
    Solichristopher126watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 34
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    techrider said:
    Great tips!

The Series 3 is moving in the evolutionary direction.  For me, this first cellular model isn't there yet, and I look forward to battery life refinements in a future model, as well as LTE coverage improvements by the cell carriers. 

I got less than 6 hours of battery life out of the 42mm model when actively using sensors or radios.  For example, using Maps for directions while touring around all-day on my bicycle, I got 4.5 hours before hitting the dreaded 10% warning.  On a day where I used the Workout app to track a long run, it lasted almost 4 hours before the 10% warning. 

As for cellular performance, the Watch understandably requires LTE to be connected.  Where I live, LTE is spotty on running, hiking, and biking trails that are covered by thick canopy or in valleys - service tends to drop to 3G which requires the iPhone to still be brought along for calls and data.

Series 3 battery life and cell coverage aside, the refinements to watchOS 4 are welcome.
    Having bad reception explains a great deal of why the watch doesn’t last long on LTE. It needs to boost signal both ways.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 34
    The main thing that has changed how I use my watch is the new processor. Even the Series 2 was just too slow for all the quick actions I wanted to do during the day. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 34
    barthrhbarthrh Posts: 137member
    rob53 said:
    Says who, you? Where does Apple say it can simply be washed in a sink? With only water, soap, disinfectants? Are you willing to accept liability for your statement? I no longer have access to anyone at Apple so if you do, please ask Apple. I'd appreciate a better answer than just wash it in a sink.

It's funny how someone would ask for advice on a user forum and then, when a helpful response is received, jump down their throat and challenge the authenticity of the advice.
    edited October 2017 nhugheswatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 34
    Great summary, Neil. I'm a runner, also (desert trails in AZ). I use my series 1 AppleWatch (38mm) primarily for the running app. I plan on buying the LTE AppleWatch (42mm) very soon. Sooner now, after reading your review! :)

I have the Apple AirPods which are 'glorious' to use! And everyone who has the AppleWatch/iPhone should own them.

While running, I wish I could choose (in the biggest font possible) the 'current distance," the 'current pace' and the watch toggles between the two every time I lift my watch. Or even better, Siri tells me the info at every mile intervals.

I really think to have the option to select info from various apps and just scroll (using the bezel) is the future. E.g. I want to see, in the largest font possible, time/date, temp, sunrise/sunset and not much else 90% of the time. And am happy to scroll thru those 4 or five items. 

The secondary side button should be dedicated to bringing up the Apple Music play app. The AppleWatch and AirPods combo is Apple's next gen. music player. (I agree the Podcasts needs some love!)

Yep, texts and phone calls are great but they are usually brought to the forefront b/c they are 'received.' Which is great. If I initiate a text/phone call, I'll push the bezel and ask Siri. I hardly ever go into the array of apps and choose an app. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 34
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    barthrh said:
    rob53 said:

It's funny how someone would ask for advice on a user forum and then, when a helpful response is received, jump down their throat and challenge the authenticity of the advice.
    I wasn't asking for advice, I was asking for an official statement from Apple, one that would be covered under warranty. I've tried to ask Apple on their customer forums but haven't received an answer. Are you willing to take a chance with a $400 watch and have the "advice" be wrong? I asked someone with an "editor" tag if they could check with Apple since I know appleinsider people have direct connections with Apple. Yes, I did jump down his throat (a bit) but people giving advice without being able to back up that advice is what causes problems when people consult forums thinking they are staffed by Apple employees when they aren't.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    Great summary, Neil. I'm a runner, also (desert trails in AZ). I use my series 1 AppleWatch (38mm) primarily for the running app. I plan on buying the LTE AppleWatch (42mm) very soon. Sooner now, after reading your review! :)

I have the Apple AirPods which are 'glorious' to use! And everyone who has the AppleWatch/iPhone should own them.

While running, I wish I could choose (in the biggest font possible) the 'current distance," the 'current pace' and the watch toggles between the two every time I lift my watch. Or even better, Siri tells me the info at every mile intervals.

I really think to have the option to select info from various apps and just scroll (using the bezel) is the future. E.g. I want to see, in the largest font possible, time/date, temp, sunrise/sunset and not much else 90% of the time. And am happy to scroll thru those 4 or five items. 

The secondary side button should be dedicated to bringing up the Apple Music play app. The AppleWatch and AirPods combo is Apple's next gen. music player. (I agree the Podcasts needs some love!)

Yep, texts and phone calls are great but they are usually brought to the forefront b/c they are 'received.' Which is great. If I initiate a text/phone call, I'll push the bezel and ask Siri. I hardly ever go into the array of apps and choose an app. 
    For what it's worth, I use the Nike+ Run Club app, and it gives me audible updates on pace/distance every mile. I believe it's configurable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 34
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    nhughes said:
    jdb8167 said:
    nhughes said:
    Final note: Last week, I went to the watchOS App Store and noticed that almost all of the top results were things sorely missing from the watch that users would logically want. As I noted on Twitter, with the exception of Google Maps, the rest of them should be easily addressable by Apple in a watchOS 5 update.

One item on that list, Shazam, was released in the last couple of days. It works standalone now and is pretty fast on my Series 3. Worked in a fairly noisy bar last night.
    Shazam has been on the Apple Watch since day one. I said the searches were "basically" a list of features watchOS 5 could add. Shazam is not only excluded — it's actually already built into Siri.
    Yes I’ve had Shazam since the first Apple Watch. The difference now is the standalone part. It no longer needs to use the iPhone’s mic. More features than Siri too.  
  • Reply 29 of 34
    nhughes said:

Podcast support (or lack thereof) is an embarrassment.
    Along with, as you have noted before, audio books. :)
  • Reply 30 of 34
    jdb8167 said:
    nhughes said:
    jdb8167 said:
    nhughes said:
    Final note: Last week, I went to the watchOS App Store and noticed that almost all of the top results were things sorely missing from the watch that users would logically want. As I noted on Twitter, with the exception of Google Maps, the rest of them should be easily addressable by Apple in a watchOS 5 update.

One item on that list, Shazam, was released in the last couple of days. It works standalone now and is pretty fast on my Series 3. Worked in a fairly noisy bar last night.
    Shazam has been on the Apple Watch since day one. I said the searches were "basically" a list of features watchOS 5 could add. Shazam is not only excluded — it's actually already built into Siri.
    Yes I’ve had Shazam since the first Apple Watch. The difference now is the standalone part. It no longer needs to use the iPhone’s mic. More features than Siri too.  
    I'm pretty sure it has worked with the watch mic since watchOS 2 allowed apps to run natively.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 34
    nhughes said:

For what it's worth, I use the Nike+ Run Club app, and it gives me audible updates on pace/distance every mile. I believe it's configurable.
    Yep, thanks Neil, My GF uses that app. Best.
  • Reply 32 of 34
    Soli said:
    I've been conducting tests where I leave my iPhone behind and only take my Series 3 with cellular and BT headphones. For the most part it works out well but there are definitely many areas in which it needs to grow.

For instance, I can figure out how to message an iMessage group with the Watch, even if I've given that group a name (e.g.: 👥 Siblings). Additionally, using it for Apple Music—a service I'm not enjoying on any device—is more complex to use with the Watch and still requires me to do a lot of pre-planning with my iPhone. I also can't seem to play podcasts, and there's no Sirius XM or Spotify apps, which are services I do like to use. Finally, for this short list of issues, I still need to bring my iPhone for grocery shopping because there's no Notes app. The workaround for that is to copy the list from Notes into Reminders which updates almost instantly.
    After further digging, my assumptions were wrong: Apple's current APIs do not allow third-party apps to stream audio. Just Apple Music. Also, they aren't allowed to run audio in the background. So it's going to take some advancement on watchOS.
    Soli
  • Reply 33 of 34
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    nhughes said:
    Soli said:
    I've been conducting tests where I leave my iPhone behind and only take my Series 3 with cellular and BT headphones. For the most part it works out well but there are definitely many areas in which it needs to grow.

For instance, I can figure out how to message an iMessage group with the Watch, even if I've given that group a name (e.g.: 👥 Siblings). Additionally, using it for Apple Music—a service I'm not enjoying on any device—is more complex to use with the Watch and still requires me to do a lot of pre-planning with my iPhone. I also can't seem to play podcasts, and there's no Sirius XM or Spotify apps, which are services I do like to use. Finally, for this short list of issues, I still need to bring my iPhone for grocery shopping because there's no Notes app. The workaround for that is to copy the list from Notes into Reminders which updates almost instantly.
    After further digging, my assumptions were wrong: Apple's current APIs do not allow third-party apps to stream audio. Just Apple Music. Also, they aren't allowed to run audio in the background. So it's going to take some advancement on watchOS.
    Apple can stall a little, but I think this has to come or risk anti-trust issues. I already believe they're on shaky ground with how iTunes and Music apps already keep pushing users towards Apple Music.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    There should be a "find iPhone" app for the watch, so you can locate your iPhone (&other devices)
    I hope (assume) that podcasts and other radio streaming apps will also eventually work over LTE
    The new OS4 and ability to control media (on iPhone or watch) while running excersose app is clever. OS4 is MUCH better then OS3

My only real gripe is that the watch works well over LTE if the iPhone is left at home, but if you leave your iPhone in the car near the gym (or locker inside the gym) the watch will think its still connected to the iPhone, yet calls and messages won't actually go through ( signal to weak?)
    if you put the iPhone in flight mode, then incoming calls often go through to voice mail, and not to the watch ( ATT numbersync)
    There is no way to force LTE for example.

4.1 solves that by adding a Wi-Fi toggle in the swipe up menu. So if your phone is nearby and you watch stays connected to it you can just turn off  Wi-Fi and it will then go to LTE