Apple opens two Indian 'Mac Labs' teaching music production with Logic Pro X

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's head of internet software and services, Eddy Cue, appeared in Mumbai, India today to announce the launch of two "Mac Labs" for KM Music Conservatories, an institution founded by musician A.R. Rahman.

The labs, based at KMMC's Chennai and Mumbai campuses, will teach students how to make music using Logic Pro X, Apple's digital audio workstation software. At today's event in Mumbai, Cue appeared alongside Rahman and simultaneously announced plans for Apple to fund 10 full-time scholarships for students from poor backgrounds.

In a statement Rahman said that he's been a "loyal" Logic Pro user for over 20 years. Apple notably attached its initiatives to Apple Music, despite that being an on-demand music service separate from the division responsible for Logic.

The company has been pursuing a greater footprint in India, including local iPhone production, an App Accelerator, and possible retail stores. Local sourcing rules have so far prevented Apple from setting up first-party retail, but there's a chance the company could win exemptions in that area as well as others, like taxes.

Logic Pro X has received relatively little publicity from Apple in recent years. The company's last big announcement came in January, when it updated the software with Touch Bar support for the MacBook Pro, as well as other features like "Track Alternatives" and deeper integration with GarageBand for iOS.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    A R Rahman -- little known in the West -- is a music composition genius.

(And no, I don't use that term lightly.)
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 7
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    A R Rahman -- little known in the West -- is a music composition genius.

(And no, I don't use that term lightly.)

Title track for Slumdog Millionaire? 

Had a massive number one in the UK a while back. 
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Why is the word “loyal” in quotes? Didn’t the writer believe him?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 7
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Rayz2016 said:
    Likely because it's a quote:

https://twitter.com/arrahman/status/917986718904737792

Normally single quotes are used for questionable items (scare quotes).
    edited October 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 7
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I like that the article noted the poor marketing of Logic and the strange inclusion of Apple Music as part of this initiative. Apple is just behaving like a mindless corporate entity that wants to keep pushing their consumer marketing, while ignoring their more advanced products (in more ways than one).
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Marvin said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    Likely because it's a quote:

https://twitter.com/arrahman/status/917986718904737792

Normally single quotes are used for questionable items (scare quotes).
    Mmm. Fair enough. Just looked weird because a single word was quoted rather than whst Rahman actually said:

In a statement Rahman said he’s “been a loyal Logic Pro user for 20 years”.

Also note that quoting a single word also allowed a minor inaccuracy to creep in: Rahma said he’d been a loyal Logic Pro user for 20 years. The report said he’d been a Loyal Logic Pro user for over 20 years. 

And I think double quotes tend to get used for scare quotes because people tend to use two fingers when they use them in speech (or maybe that depends what country you come from). 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Rahman is one of the most versatile living composers. I've been following his career since he started in 1992. Truly world-class composer and a very humble human being.