Teen interest in iPhone hits new high of 82%, Apple Music on the rise

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2017
Apple products like iPhone and Apple Watch continue enjoy healthy demand from young U.S. consumers, as new data from Piper Jaffray shows a record 82 percent of teens have iPhone in mind as their next smartphone.

According to the investment bank's semi-annual "Taking Stock with Teens" survey, interest in iPhone ticked up one percent to reach a new all-time high since April. The 82 percent figure represents the highest intent to buy Piper Jaffray has recorded.

Likely fueling interest in iPhone is the recently announced "supercycle" that includes iPhone X, Apple's first major handset redesign in years. The updated model boasts a full-face OLED display and, more importantly, a depth-sensing camera system for facial recognition operations.

Dubbed TrueDepth, Apple's cutting edge hardware solution combines a number of highly advanced technologies, like a laser dot projector, infrared camera and flood illuminator, to capture a highly accurate representation of a user's face. The system serves as a replacement for Touch ID capacitive fingerprint recognition and is rumored for inclusion in Apple's 2018 iPad lineup.

Apple's installed user base among teen owners has also grown, according to the report. Of the 6,100 teens surveyed, 78 percent said they owned an iPhone, up from 76 percent in spring.

A full copy of the report seen by Barron's points out that of the handful of teens who sport smartwatches, 12 percent own an Apple Watch. That number should rise in the coming weeks, as 17 percent of respondents say they plan to get Apple's wearable in the next six months.

Apple at its iPhone event in September released Apple Watch Series 3, the third iteration of its wearable device that brings with it cellular connectivity. The oft-requested feature allows users to make phone calls, send texts and use apps that require data connections.

Finally, the teen survey noted an uptick in Apple Music usage. Some 17 percent of respondents said they subscribe to Apple's streaming, which gained ground alongside Spotify and YouTube as Pandora lost marketshare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Yet the stock continues to dance around $160 and below... LOL. Ah, well. I'm still holding and have no plans to sell yet.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    A super cycle is usually followed by a few years of "disappointment and doom."
  • Reply 3 of 16
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    A super cycle is usually followed by a few years of "disappointment and doom."
    It is true that things will fall after rise, it's called law of gravity. But I don't think this year is Apple super cycle yet, or maybe I am wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,421member
    Face it, Apple is doomed.™
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Yet the stock continues to dance around $160 and below... LOL. Ah, well. I'm still holding and have no plans to sell yet.
    Yeah, being stuck at an all-time high (give or take a few bucks) is really terrible. 
    slprescottStrangeDaysjony0
  • Reply 6 of 16
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    When you can afford any smartphone, as many in the developed world can (I’m writing this from the Philippines where I’ve spent the last year and observed the reactions I get to my iPhone 6), you can see the result.  When you don’t have a history of fiddling with technology, taking apart your computer and geeking out on tech, when instead your entire experience has you see technology as a tool to be used to enhance your life rather than an end in itself, you can see the result.  Such folks prefer iPhones.  The future is bright for Apple.  
    pscooter63SoundJudgmentStrangeDayslostkiwiwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 16
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Apple is doomed I tell ya...DOOMED!!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    You mean the old geezers who wrote blogs about Apple “losing their cool image” were wrong?!

No way!!!
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I am a bit hesitant to give a teen an expensive iphone. It is a great tool, true, but it's almost like spoiling them to do so, unless they made the $ themselves. Maybe im old-fashioned. I do believe in spending on quality though. I guess i have mixed feelings about the subject.

It does soooo baffle me when i see parents let their very young kids play with their personal i$hones though. 😳😳. 
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    So what's the next big thing for the iPhone after iPhone X? 3D screens? Holographic images? Foldable phones (supposedly coming next year from Samsung and in 2020 from Apple)? Advanced AR?
    Whatever it is, Apple will make sure it's done right.

SoundJudgmentwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Unfortunately, most teens can't actually afford to buy iPhones. Wall Street knows this, so while Apple's share price hangs around $155 (barely moving), Netflix is around $200 a share and both Amazon and Google's share price are sitting around $1000. Apple, as usual, has taken far bigger losses than any of the FANG stocks. Why? Because analysts don't think Apple will be able to sell many iPhones for $999. Maybe they're right.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Unfortunately, most teens can't actually afford to buy iPhones. Wall Street knows this, so while Apple's share price hangs around $155 (barely moving), Netflix is around $200 a share and both Amazon and Google's share price are sitting around $1000. Apple, as usual, has taken far bigger losses than any of the FANG stocks. Why? Because analysts don't think Apple will be able to sell many iPhones for $999. Maybe they're right.
    You know the $ amount of the share price means almost nothing right? A company could have 5 shares worth $1M each and it would be a small company. Plot Amazon and Alphabet against Apple over the last year and Apple is ahead. Netflix is growing but it's also about one tenth the size of Apple and barely making a profit
    slprescottwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    cali said:
    You mean the old geezers who wrote blogs about Apple “losing their cool image” were wrong?!

No way!!!

Yep they were wrong but their clickbait tacktics probably worked and in the end thats all that matters. So sad.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I am a bit hesitant to give a teen an expensive iphone. It is a great tool, true, but it's almost like spoiling them to do so, unless they made the $ themselves. Maybe im old-fashioned. I do believe in spending on quality though. I guess i have mixed feelings about the subject.

It does soooo baffle me when i see parents let their very young kids play with their personal i$hones though. 😳😳. 
    Second-hand recent model iPhones can solve that parental dilemma.
    lostkiwiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
     This is another area that the public education system is failing us and failed you. Apple is the most valuable company in the world because the price of an individual share is only part of the equation.  Your error was in not knowing that you need to multiply it by the number of shares outstanding.   Here's a link to explain it for you and others.

http://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/133.asp

watto_cobra