Autocad & Illustrator CC having APFS issues, PDF data inconsistently retained in High Sier...

Posted:
in Mac Software
While High Sierra as a whole is not specifically to blame, the implementation of APFS is causing problems for a number of AutoCAD 2017 and Adobe Acrobat CC users -- with users of the former having a new patch available, and the latter out of luck for now. Additionally, users need to be cautious when manipulating PDFs in both Preview and Adobe Acrobat Reader.

AutoCAD for Mac

The release version of AutoCAD, version 2017.0, is incompatible with High Sierra's APFS in every regard. However, a recent update with version number 2017.2 supports both HFS+ and APFS in case-insensitive format -- and there is a new installer package available as well. By default, APFS is case-insensitive.

According to Autodesk tech support, earlier versions, such as the 2015 version, are not designed for High Sierra, and no update plan appears to be available to make them compatible. An update for AutoCAD 2016 to support APFS is forthcoming.

Adobe Illustrator CC

Adobe Illustrator CC users are also having problems with case sensitive APFS drives during installation and uninstall procuedures. Additionally, all APFS users are subject to errors when launching the app, opening a file, creating a document, or licensing templates or other assets.

There is no fix at present for Illustrator's issues with High Sierra's APFS. According to Adobe, a complete solution is in the works, but no timetable has been given.

Other users are reporting rendering errors. These are related to partially incompatible GPUs, and GPU-assisted rendering can be disabled to rectify the problem.

PDF data not uniformly altered

AppleInsider can also confirm that there are some oddities in user-fillable PDFs between Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Preview.

A PDF form with pull-down options will not always retain the same data when migrated between the two apps. A PDF modified in Preview will display properly in Preview, but have altered menu selections in Adobe Acrobat Reader, and vice versa. Results vary when the generated PDF is handed to a Windows user.

The same apps in Sierra do not manifest the same behavior, with the changes being saved and interpreted properly across the board.

The work-around for the behavior is to modify and open the PDF in the same application. It is unclear what the root cause of the issue is, or if a patch will be issued -- and by whom also remains up in the air.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    The PDF bug is also present when printing from Preview. Fields may display on screen but not in the printout. Worse, if you save a file from preview, open it later and print it, preview may print the old info
    dysamoria
  • Reply 2 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I've had zero issues with CS6 in HS. I guess it's only the newer versions. Either way, this is 100% on the app developers. HS has been in public beta for many months. 
    [Deleted User]
  • Reply 3 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    slurpy said:
    I've had zero issues with CS6 in HS. I guess it's only the newer versions. Either way, this is 100% on the app developers. HS has been in public beta for many months. 
    Agreed.  Are you running it in APFS I assume.
  • Reply 4 of 14
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    There are a number of problems so far. Gaming, Wacom tablets, a number of apps, etc. yet, every time I tell people here to wait a few days, there are some who get ticked at that. I just hope that none of those people have gotten caught up the the problems we’ve been seeing reported so far.
    cgWerksdysamoria
  • Reply 5 of 14
    MacPro said:
    slurpy said:
    It takes Apple some time to catch up often. Sometimes these problems take a fair number of user to find.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    Sounds like 3rd party developed took shortcuts when coding their apps.

No problems for me using APFS. The only issue I have with MacOS High Sierra is the F4 function key being disabled when iTunes opens in my 3-day old MacBook Pro with touchbar.  Frustrating.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    There is NO EXCUSE for these big name developers to have allowed this to take place...

High Sierra went thru how many beta builds over how many months? They had a LONG time to prepare, instead, they didn't do F all and now are allowing their users to suffer, and often point the finger at Apple, what an F'ing joke!
    dysamoriaktappe
  • Reply 8 of 14
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    melgross said:
    There are a number of problems so far. Gaming, Wacom tablets, a number of apps, etc. yet, every time I tell people here to wait a few days, there are some who get ticked at that. I just hope that none of those people have gotten caught up the the problems we’ve been seeing reported so far.
    Yep... I said (probably 6-months ago at least), that this was an upgrade I'd be holding off on for some time (at least several months, if not 6 months +). A friend of mine was telling me this over a year ago. We're going to see a bunch of this kind of stuff, and even more, I'd bet, in more complex apps, file utilities, etc.

The week before the release, ScreenFlow sent out an urgent message urging people not to upgrade until they could get their app updated (i.e.: project corruption, data-loss). Right then, I knew I'd guessed and planned appropriately. The stakes are high here... it isn't just some feature missing for a while... it's data loss.
    edited October 2017 dysamoria
  • Reply 9 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    melgross said:
    What’s the Wacom issue?
  • Reply 10 of 14

There is NO EXCUSE for these big name developers to have allowed this to take place...

High Sierra went thru how many beta builds over how many months? They had a LONG time to prepare, instead, they didn't do F all and now are allowing their users to suffer, and often point the finger at Apple, what an F'ing joke!
    Have you met Adobe?
    ktappe
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Is there anyway to get Safari to open a PDF document that is embedded in another PDF document? I've just not been able to figure this out and have Firefox on my Mac for the sole purpose of opening embedded PDF documents.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    melgross said:
    What’s the Wacom issue?
    Doesn’t work properly, sometimes not at all.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    MacPro said:
    slurpy said:
    If I'm not mistaken, APFS is currently only on macs with SSD drives (Fusion Drives still running HFS+)
  • Reply 14 of 14
    melgross said:
    melgross said:
    What’s the Wacom issue?
    Doesn’t work properly, sometimes not at all.
    Which model(s)?