iPhone X took over two years to develop, marks new chapter in iPhone design, says Jony Ive...

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 90
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    Soli said:

AuthenTec before Apple made it into Touch ID

PrimeSense before Apple made it into Face ID

I wish I understood what you're getting at here. If you are claiming that someone invented a form of fingerprint authentication (and facial recognition) before Apple did, well hello duh. Apple has never claimed to have invented either -- but it brought them to the mainstream by developing a more secure, better-engineered, and vastly smaller version than either of your examples (they both look laughably huge now, like the first commercial cell phones back in the 80s, don't they)? If you are praising Apple for having reduced those early, primitive, and highly insecure versions of the technology into usable, practical, and practically invisible forms through better engineering, then yes. Again, duh. That's kind of what they do for a living, essentially, and then everyone copies them (most of the time -- very occasionally, the situation is reversed -- but even then, Apple's version of an existing tech, be it the mouse or multitouch, is usually better engineered and more practical to use).
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 82 of 90
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    chasm said:
    Soli said:

AuthenTec before Apple made it into Touch ID

PrimeSense before Apple made it into Face ID

If you are praising Apple for having reduced those early, primitive, and highly insecure versions of the technology into usable, practical, and practically invisible forms through better engineering, then yes. Again, duh.
    If you can't see how Apple's ability to see the longterm benefits of these rudimentary technologies or how they could become tentpole features at incredibly reduced sizes, increased speeds, and improved security levels that are well beyond what was available when the bought the companies then you really don't have a clue how special Apple in the CE market compared to their contemporaries. They did amazing things with these acquisitions and you just want to shit on them by saying "duh" when I praised them for doing something extraordinary.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 83 of 90
    holyone said:
    mrboba1 said:
    AI_lias said:
     I see some comments about the notch. The test question is this: would you like the notch if you saw it on an Android phone? And the answer is, you would ridicule it, whether you want to admit it or not. So, no, the notch is not good. The thing is this: do you think the Face ID is worth the notch? The alternative is to use Touch ID on the back side, and whatever there is left to put on the front, would probably fit in the edge that would be left at the top, since iPhone X bezels are quite thick for a "bezel-less" phone. In my opinion, Touch ID is just fine, and did not need to be replaced with a fancy Face ID. And putting it on the back would not have been that bad. It would not have been the first thing we copied from the Android side.
    Hardly. I think all this crap about some notch is some sort of wart on a phone is ridiculous at best, no matter who may have put one there. Also, it has been in the hands of only a very few, and pictures of phones never do reality any justice.

Most of the time it will be filled with informational stuff, just like the top is now. It will be a non-issue except for those who just want to nit-pick.

100% right.  It's hard for me to wrap my head around someone even posing the question: "The thing is this: do you think the Face ID is worth the notch?"  That makes as much sense as "do you think cruise control is worth the unsightly button on the steering wheel?"
    but @ randominternetperson are you suggesting that face ID is some how intrinsically bound to the notch and functional only as a notch on an edge to edge display and couldn't funtion in any other form factor like in the 8 and 8Plus ?. Is the truth not that Face ID is there because Apple was chasing an edge to edge display and non here nor at Apple can give as compelling a reason for an edge to edge display then can be given for touch ID, other than bigger screen on smaller phone even if that screen has a notch at the top of it ?, people forget that the notch justifies the screen not the other way round.
    No wonder you don't like Siri — if you talk like this out loud, there's no possible way any AI could understand you.
    SoliStrangeDayssphericGG1
  • Reply 84 of 90
    JWSC said:
    Face ID may be better, more natural, not invasive but it can’t replace Touch ID in all cases. It is ineffective against twins and kids below 13 years old.
    And you know this how?
    "The probability of a false match is different for twins and siblings that look like you as well as among children under the age of 13, because their distinct facial features may not have fully developed. If you're concerned about this, we recommend using a passcode to authenticate."

Face ID Security Guide
    https://images.apple.com/business/docs/FaceID_Security_Guide.pdf

I said "twins" but it says "twins and siblings". So your brother or sister may unlock your iPhone X if they look like you.
    Asserting facts not in evidence, your honor!  This is just saying that the probability of a false match is different (from the 1 in a million figure in an earlier sentence) for people who look like you.  Does that mean that the probability of a match in 1 in 1000?  1 in 10?  Automatic?  We won't know until people get their hands on them and start testing.  I suspect the answer is that the typical pair of twins will not be able to unlock each others phones.
    Let’s hope so... But they say eyes, nose and mouth must be open. If those are the key shapes, we may suspect twins and siblings (that look like the owner) may not always present enough differentiation on these as well.
  • Reply 85 of 90
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Give credit where credit is due... Ive is certainly good at design fluff-talk.
  • Reply 86 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member

mrboba1 said:
    AI_lias said:
     I see some comments about the notch. The test question is this: would you like the notch if you saw it on an Android phone? And the answer is, you would ridicule it, whether you want to admit it or not. So, no, the notch is not good. The thing is this: do you think the Face ID is worth the notch? The alternative is to use Touch ID on the back side, and whatever there is left to put on the front, would probably fit in the edge that would be left at the top, since iPhone X bezels are quite thick for a "bezel-less" phone. In my opinion, Touch ID is just fine, and did not need to be replaced with a fancy Face ID. And putting it on the back would not have been that bad. It would not have been the first thing we copied from the Android side.
    Hardly. I think all this crap about some notch is some sort of wart on a phone is ridiculous at best, no matter who may have put one there. Also, it has been in the hands of only a very few, and pictures of phones never do reality any justice.

Most of the time it will be filled with informational stuff, just like the top is now. It will be a non-issue except for those who just want to nit-pick.
    That informational stuff on top can make the notch unnoticeable, I agree. The marketing department made a mistake IMHO by using pictures emphasizing the notch so much. In actual usage the notch will be barely noticeable in portrait orientation, noticeable only if you enlarge the content to fill the screen.
    Define “mistake”? I predict the X will sell out immediately. To me this suggests there was no mistake.
    If they didn't emphasize the notch so unnecessarily there wouldn't be so much flame about it. It would be merged with the background and many people wouldn't even notice it on pictures.
    Your mistake is believing that nerd rage is something that matters to Apple. It the phone sells out in minutes, despite nerd rage, the answer is staring you in the face. The shit you think matters doesn’t matter. 
    Soli
  • Reply 87 of 90
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    cgWerks said:
    Not have as good as you are at being completely oblivious to the traits and skills utilized to produce the devices your purport to enjoy. Oh I forgot you hate all modern Apple gear. Ok then, who was your favorite pre-Ive Apple product designer?
    Soli
  • Reply 88 of 90

mrboba1 said:
    AI_lias said:

That informational stuff on top can make the notch unnoticeable, I agree. The marketing department made a mistake IMHO by using pictures emphasizing the notch so much. In actual usage the notch will be barely noticeable in portrait orientation, noticeable only if you enlarge the content to fill the screen.
    Define “mistake”? I predict the X will sell out immediately. To me this suggests there was no mistake.
    If they didn't emphasize the notch so unnecessarily there wouldn't be so much flame about it. It would be merged with the background and many people wouldn't even notice it on pictures.
    Your mistake is believing that nerd rage is something that matters to Apple. It the phone sells out in minutes, despite nerd rage, the answer is staring you in the face. The shit you think matters doesn’t matter. 
    Resolve your anger control issues. Who said that the notch would matter? In all my posts in this thread I said how the notch would go unnoticed in real life usage and found the rage about it unnecessary. Of course the X would sell in minutes, what is the point to shout that again and again? I may find the notch ugly, this is my personal taste but I also see that a temporary and unimportant issue. Whether the rage about it matters to Apple or not needs no comment, but their efforts to emphasize it is as unnecessary as that wouldn’t matter to them, just my humble opinion. Go fight with jobless blog writers who initiated first that notch rage, you know who they are. I am not your opponent.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 89 of 90
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    cgWerks said:
    Not have as good as you are at being completely oblivious to the traits and skills utilized to produce the devices your purport to enjoy. Oh I forgot you hate all modern Apple gear. Ok then, who was your favorite pre-Ive Apple product designer?
    He used to have someone to keep him in check. And, no, I don't hate all modern Apple gear... I just don't agree with some of the design decisions. And, yes, some of them are bad enough to keep me away from certain products.