Apple's $1 billion Athenry, Ireland data center approved after legal challenges squashed

Posted:
in General Discussion
The Irish courts have spoken, and Apple is now permitted to go forward after a long battle over environmental and power concerns for its Athenry, Ireland data center.

According to the Independent in Ireland on Thursday, Justice Paul McDermott refused two challenges to Apple's plans to build the data center in Derrydonnell, Athenry. While the ruling has not been made public, the two challenges to the proposal appear to have been shot down because the petitioners didn't correctly follow procedures to discuss the concerns with the Galway County Council prior to the court hearing.

Apple unveiled plans to build in Denmark and Athenry on the same day in February 2016. The project in Viborg, Denmark is very near completion, and the first of two Irish data center projects Apple wants in the region is only just now exiting the planning phases.

The main spearhead behind the resistance to the Athenry data center was Allan Daly. Daly is an American-born immigrant and environmental engineer, and raised multiple objections to the data center. Daly's concerns centered around strain on the Irish electrical grid and no apparent plans to cope with greenhouse gas emissions from the data center.

Apple's project was initially approved by Irish planning councils, but Daly and fellow residents Sinead Fitzpatrick and Brian McDonagh appealed the decision to Ireland's An Bord Pleanala in Sept. 2015. The appeal wasn't granted, forcing Daly to the High Court for review of the case.

At Thursday's hearing, McDonagh said that he had no objections to Apple being in Athenry, but wanted to assure that "proper planning procedures" were followed.

A hearing in June about the matter was postponed over "a lack of judges" available to hear the case. The manpower shortage wasn't that transparent, until a six-person delegation from the "Apple for Athenry" advocacy group arrived and found it closed.

Apple's effort wasn't the only one that Daly wants stopped. Daly continues to battle a $1 billion Amazon data center in Dublin.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    How can 1 guy cause so much disruption? I'm guessing he has friends in high places or money behind him.

Incidentally, I notice he's not even from Ireland originally. I find a similar theme here in the North of Scotland, incomers to the area will dictate to and complain about locals who have been here for generations claiming to speak for the majority and for the greater good. "white settlers" we call em here.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    muadibemuadibe Posts: 134member
    Shouldn’t that be quashed instead of squashed?
  • Reply 3 of 17
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

The main spearhead behind the resistance to the Athenry data center was Allan Daly. Daly is an American-born immigrant and environmental engineer, and raised multiple objections to the data center. Daly's concerns centered around strain on the Irish electrical grid and no apparent plans to cope with greenhouse gas emissions from the data center. 
    What greenhouse gas emissions would this data center produce? What strain on the Irish electrical grid? I can understand that 100% renewal solar won’t be as efficient in Ireland because of the climate. These sound like straw man arguments by a radical activist hell bent on stopping progress.
    radarthekatjbdragon
  • Reply 4 of 17
    lkrupp said:
    What greenhouse gas emissions would this data center produce? What strain on the Irish electrical grid? I can understand that 100% renewal solar won’t be as efficient in Ireland because of the climate. These sound like straw man arguments by a radical activist hell bent on stopping progress.
    Probably the emissions from the 'long drop' composting toilet that will be used. :wink:

• Reply 5 of 17
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    lkrupp said:

You’d think data centers would be what environmentalists would hope to attract to their area.  Gotta be a better presence than, say, an automobile plant or other type of manufacturing plant, which come with significant transportation of raw materials in and products out, on top of the energy and emissions involved in the manufacturing itself.  Data centers ship electrons in and electrons out, with some heat as a byproduct of the process; heat that can be used to warm homes or put to other uses, as I believe Apple planned for this particular data center.  
    jbdragon
  • Reply 6 of 17
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    adm1 said:
    How can 1 guy cause so much disruption? I'm guessing he has friends in high places or money behind him.

Incidentally, I notice he's not even from Ireland originally. I find a similar theme here in the North of Scotland, incomers to the area will dictate to and complain about locals who have been here for generations claiming to speak for the majority and for the greater good. "white settlers" we call em here.
    Or just  a glacial planning and court system.
  • Reply 7 of 17

lkrupp said:

Well the days are long in the summer, Ireland gets 17 hours of daylight in the Summer. Mostly though Irish renewables are driven by wind. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    muadibe said:
    Shouldn’t that be quashed instead of squashed?
    Squashed is more fun.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    lkrupp said:

I don't get it either. Apple has stated, numerous times, that all their offices, data centers, etc. are 100% renewable, or will be, if not already.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Attention whore. 
  • Reply 11 of 17
    asdasd said:

lkrupp said:

Well the days are long in the summer, Ireland gets 17 hours of daylight in the Summer. Mostly though Irish renewables are driven by wind. 
    Here's the thing though. In some places in the USA, Apple uses the grid, but buys power only from plants that are producing renewable energy. So it's possible that what this guy is worried about is that this is what Apple will be doing, putting a strain on Irland's admittedly underdeveloped grid.

remember that Ireland is a small country, with only about 5 million people. So unless Apple is going to add solar cells to the roofs, and gas cells too, the way they're doing with Apple Park, they're not generating their own power. I don't see evidence of solar cells on the top of the roofs.
  • Reply 12 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:

I don't get it either. Apple has stated, numerous times, that all their offices, data centers, etc. are 100% renewable, or will be, if not already.
    Only in technical terms. Many of the Apple data centers are impossible to supply with 100% renewable energy year-round, depending on the same typical cheap coal or other fossil fuel for some or perhaps even most energy needs depending on location. Green Energy credits make the "100% renewable" claim possible. Apple discusses that in their energy report footnotes. Small type but it is there. 
  • Reply 13 of 17
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:

well the Irish energy grid will have to step up as well, I assume
  • Reply 14 of 17
    stevehsteveh Posts: 480member
    adm1 said:

The same thing happens over here across the pond all the time.

Someone with money moves into an area, then starts complaining about different things; agriculture noise/dust/smell (in an area that's been farming for generations), airport noise (the local airport has been in operation since the 1940s), etc etc etc. They seem to be a worldwide pestilence.

We have others terms describing them...
  • Reply 15 of 17
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:

Only in technical terms. Many of the Apple data centers are impossible to supply with 100% renewable energy year-round, depending on the same typical cheap coal or other fossil fuel for some or perhaps even most energy needs depending on location. Green Energy credits make the "100% renewable" claim possible. Apple discusses that in their energy report footnotes. Small type but it is there. 
    But that is still better then 99% of other cooperate out there. And if we think about it, the gain is still net positive no matter how you spin it.

And Apple is helping, courting, pushing or even forcing all of their Supply Chain Partners to use renewable energy. Forging new JV around the world for Renewable Energy. I wish they share more of these Data, because I think Apple on a Global Scale is pretty big in Solar Energy business, for all the money they used in US and China.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    ksec said:
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:

But that is still better then 99% of other cooperate out there. And if we think about it, the gain is still net positive no matter how you spin it.

And Apple is helping, courting, pushing or even forcing all of their Supply Chain Partners to use renewable energy. Forging new JV around the world for Renewable Energy. I wish they share more of these Data, because I think Apple on a Global Scale is pretty big in Solar Energy business, for all the money they used in US and China.
    Yes Apple along with another big tech have championed the green energy movement, moving closer towards "100% renewable" global energy use, and both expecting to hit that goal by 2017 in one case and 2018 in the other. If nothing else they've shamed the rest of the tech (Amazon is one of them) into reaching for those same goals. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    gatorguy said:
    melgross said:
    lkrupp said:

Well, as I said, Apple buys power off the grid from renewable power companies. That's what they've stated. But, even in those cases, they began movement to self generation, investing in solar energy plants. The goal is to have actual renewable energy, not just credits, or off the grid renewable supplies.