Quote Blocking

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Do these [qb][/qb] tags serve any purpose but to make it more difficult to format replies?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    eh?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I agree with grover. No one uses them.. hitting the quote button EVEN if we DO use them some of the time make quoting impossible. Might as well get rid of the "quote" button cause we have to copy/paste text anyhow. I mentioned this in a another thread in this forum.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>I agree with grover. No one uses them.. hitting the quote button EVEN if we DO use them some of the time make quoting impossible. Might as well get rid of the "quote" button cause we have to copy/paste text anyhow. I mentioned this in a another thread in this forum.</strong><hr></blockquote>

i see [quote] cheese <hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 4 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Do these [qb][/qb] tags serve any purpose but to make it more difficult to format replies?</strong><hr></blockquote>I believe that without the QB tags, if there are bold tags in the quoted message, the formatting screws up.

[quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>I agree with grover. No one uses them.. hitting the quote button EVEN if we DO use them some of the time make quoting impossible. Might as well get rid of the "quote" button cause we have to copy/paste text anyhow. I mentioned this in a another thread in this forum.</strong><hr></blockquote>You can always press the quote button again for each person you want to quote.. and then copy the text. Or is that what you meant? Otherwise just do...

[QUOTE]text goes here[/QUOTE]

and forget about making the inside text bold..

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Synotic ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    You used to be able to hit reply and the post of the person you are replying to was already in the text box so you didn't have to copy and paste.

With these [qb] tags it just shows the last statement.

The best way to do it with these stupid tags is to hit Add Reply so all the posts show up under the text box so you can pick and choose. Annoying compared to the fairly straightforward way it used to be.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]I believe that without the QB tags, if there are bold tags in the quoted message, the formatting screws up.<hr></blockquote>

I don't recall ever having a problem doing that.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    EmAn: Why does your rank say "Member" if you're a Moderator?

(erm, sorry for getting OT)
  • Reply 8 of 11
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by EmAn:

<strong>

I don't recall ever having a problem doing that.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Eman try using more than one set at a time. That is when you run into problems.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Infinite Void:

<strong>EmAn: Why does your rank say "Member" if you're a Moderator?

(erm, sorry for getting OT)</strong><hr></blockquote>

Because in Suggestions only the administrators are Moderators. Me, Amorph, Eskimo, and Robo aren't.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I see...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>You used to be able to hit reply and the post of the person you are replying to was already in the text box so you didn't have to copy and paste.</strong><hr></blockquote>

When you click reply, UBB puts the entire post in quote and qb tabs. You don't have to copy and paste anything unless you're doing multiple quotations.

And if you are, why do you have to make it bold? If you make it bold use QB. Otherwise don't. The reason Infopop changed it was because if you had quote and then just the plain bold tag, if there was bold text in the quote it would get messed up. If there's a bold tag inside a QB it has no effect.

Look:

[quote]This will all be bold text until I get to the bold statement, and then it will all turn to complete shit. You see how crappy it is now? <hr></blockquote>

Now, the same thing with QB instead of B sinde the quote, and then the original bold text will not be affected:

[quote]<strong>This will all be bold text until I get to the bold statement, and then it will all turn to complete shit. You see how crappy it is now? </strong><hr></blockquote>

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: gorgonzola ]</p>