Apple, Google, others say Chinese investment regulations infringe on intellectual property...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    wizard69 said:
    This just highlights the stupidity of corporate management in the USA.   IP theft in China should surprise nobody and as a result there is one easy fix, don't manufacture in China!    It really is that simple.
    I think the article means selling stuff in China.

i remember an old story said when coca-cola want to enter the Chinese market when it was first open to the western world. The commy want the secret formula that make the coke.  

• Reply 22 of 27
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    China was a poor undeveloped nation for over one hundred years after the first opium war in 1840. It makes little or no innovation in the industrial revolution. When China opened to the world in 1980, how could China adopt the western technology knowhow?  It could not afford to pay for the IP. It asked the world companies to set up factories to make goods in China.

With this background, how would the world solve the IP problem with China? A fair solution is to allow each nation to use ip domestically. But if a nation wants to export goods to other nations then its goods must obtain ip.

This is fair, For example, US allow marijuana.  But to export marijuana it must obey the laws of the other nation. 
  • Reply 23 of 27
    To be more related to Apple. Huawei or Samsung can copy Apple IP in their smartphones.  But to sell in US then the phone must follow US patent laws. 
  • Reply 24 of 27
    wizard69 said:
    This just highlights the stupidity of corporate management in the USA.   IP theft in China should surprise nobody and as a result there is one easy fix, don't manufacture in China!    It really is that simple.

They can easily get the same assembly in Taiwan. That would piss off China and make a statement that if China wants Western investment they will have to liberalize the rules.

Imagine Apple selling iPhobes in Communist China saying “Designed by Apple in California and assembled in FREE China”.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    viclauyyc said:
    wizard69 said:
    I think the article means selling stuff in China.

i remember an old story said when coca-cola want to enter the Chinese market when it was first open to the western world. The commy want the secret formula that make the coke.  

and Coke gave them a formula for new coke from the 80's that everyone in the US hated.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    Why is Google in that list?

Apple really needs to team up with IBM, integrate Watson with the new Siri a few of us know they are working on and completely destroy these scumbags.

Siri could destroy Google if they get it right. 
    Because Apple and Google interests are more aligned than their fans are. Neither would be as successful without the other. I have little doubt that Mr. Cook and Mr. Pichai meet on a regular basis to discuss mutual business interests. All this supposed hate between the two is an invention driven by the minority extreme-edge fans IMO. Neither company is out to destroy the other. They have too much in common, but they don't mind one-upping each other given the opportunity
    :)
    Apple would be even more successful without IP theft. 
    Neither Apple nor Google is habitually found guilty of doing so are they? Not sure if you tallied up and compared the totals between them which has been found guilty of IP infringement more often (I guess that's the stealing you refer to) but I don't think there's a relatively large number of cases for either of them.

Anyway, we should be careful about straying off-topic. Turning yet another thread into a Google distraction isn't terribly beneficial. 
    Says the person deliberately creating a false equivalency. Another gee-golly why can't we get along post, no doubt to be backed up by a series of technicalities and semantical loopholes. Spare us please. I think google copying/stealing the core concept of the modern smartphone (blackberry, then Apple) and the code used to run it (Oracle) constitutes a bit more than run-of-the-mill IP theft.

BTW, I do appreciate and regularly "like" many of the informative posts you contribute.
    All I can offer is that Apple would very clearly disagree about Google stealing their IP. They didn't hesitate to sue HTC for IP infringement. They didn't hesitate to sue Samsung for it either, nor Motorola.
    But they didn't sue Google. And before anyone jumps in (not you) and says "Oh, well that's because Google doesn't make money from Android" that's a BS argument made by those who don't know any better. Profiting from IP infringement isn't required. 

Oracle? Bleh. They buy some IP at a fire sale in the form of Sun and then want to declare how much they were harmed. Can't blame 'em for a get rich quick attempt. 
    But Safari tracking? BAD Wifi snippets while mapping? WORSE. So yeah Google has done some bad stuff along the line. 
    Anyway, back to the thread topic.

Sooner rather than later US companies are going to have to act together to resist Chinese demands for access to their technologies. I would not depend on the US Government, tho I kinda like the suggestion that someone made to mirror the Chinese laws when dealing with their companies here in the US. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 27 of 27
    I got an idea that can deal with Chinese companies copying Apple very well.  If a company is found guilty then its products cannot be sold in US.  This will reward companies that are clean. Since US is such a big and profitable market, in the long run Chinese companies will change behavior if they see some companies becoming successful for not copying Apple. 

The truth is US government has followed this rule for alleging Chinese companies selling forbidden goods to Iran. 
This discussion has been closed.