Revamped 'Movies Anywhere' service adds four studios, makes cross-platform viewing easy

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    Is this restricted to the US? I in Sweden can’t register, but it doesn’t say it’s because of the country. Perhaps they are just overloaded right now?

As for iTunes connection I think that’s great and I guess it had to be in partnership (and technological cooperation) with Apple for it to work. I have a hard time seeing Disney using a temporary technical loop hole to connect all these services. 

I could though not understand if one could watch other non-iTunes-media on iTunes or if it just was so that I could watch iTunes, Amazon etc on Movies Anywhere apps..? 

Apple has long tried to make the overall TV and movie experience better, easier for the consumer to find and watch. Perhaps they found the solution was not one Apple TV app, but a plethora of services accessable via many apps. And what binds them together in the long run is the Siri search-all-apps on Apple TV. After all, Amazon Prime is soon coming to Apple TV and their Siri searches Netflix, Hulu, etc from which Apple gets no (that I know of) direct revenue.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    kipowsky said:
    Is this restricted to the US? I in Sweden can’t register, but it doesn’t say it’s because of the country. Perhaps they are just overloaded right now?
    Yes it's US only at the moment.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    Sounds to me like it is a good move by the studios to reduce the incentives for the public to pirate content much as iTunes did for musc. It s no longer frustrating that the movie you purchased on platform X won't play on platform y so there is less reason to pirate a copy.  I'm no expert in video quality but this may increase Apple sales if in fact their streaming quality is better than competing platforms.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    A bunch of companies piggy backing off Apple’s inventions and hard work. This might hurt Apple in the future as there will be less reason to own an Apple TV or use iTunes. 
    This was in the works long before the Apple TV 4K announcement. Not EVERYTHING Apple does other follow. 
  • Reply 25 of 32
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    cali said:
    cali said:
    A bunch of companies piggy backing off Apple’s inventions and hard work. This might hurt Apple in the future as there will be less reason to own an Apple TV or use iTunes. 
    This is hilarious. First off, Apple did not invent retail digital media downloads. iTunes was not the first of its sort or anywhere close. They weren't even the first to do the $0.99 cents per song/$.99 per album thing, nor were they the first to do the 30 second preview thing. I suppose next you are going to resort to "Apple did it the best" or "Apple's became the dominant/most popular so others don't count"? Yeah, that is typical. Apple gets to appropriate and repurpose everyone else's ideas - and often has to get sued in order to force them to pay for it - and that is OK, but everyone should be hands off on every product that Apple produces, even when Apple themselves got the idea elsewhere? To put it another way ... even if Apple had the iTunes idea first - and I repeat they did not - other companies would have had as much right to copy it as Apple did.

And another issue ... people don't need another reason to abandon iTunes or Apple TV. There are plenty of reasons already. 
    1. Apple TV: the cheapest model costs $149. You can actually buy a name brand 32' HDTV for less. A Roku and a Fire TV stick - which offers 80% of the same features as the Fire TV, and when you consider features that most people will actually use (no, most people don't want to play mobile games on their TV, which by the way requires controllers that cost $40 apiece more increasing the cost to like $229) costs $30. And with a Roku you can access all your content no matter where you bought or rented it, not so with Apple TV.

2. iTunes: it was already outdated when it was originally launched because it is a standalone application. There were ALREADY web-browser based services that allowed you to buy and download media back in the 1990s. Now, everybody has a browser-based service - or at least a browser based companion to the standalone PC or mobile app - but Apple. YouTube/Google Play. Amazon. Disney. Ultraviolet/Vudu. Redbox. Target. And so on. Apple is the only one that requires you to access a massive bloated buggy slow application to search for and rent/buy movies, music, TV shows and books. What is worse, the competition has offered browser-based options for over ten years. I remember being able to download music from Walmart's website - the predecessor to what is now Vudu - way back in like 2005. 

3. Oh yeah, content rented through iTunes can only be downloaded on the device that it was originally rented on. No one else has this restriction. Literally no one! At first, Apple tried to claim that it was a restriction imposed on them by the studios to prevent piracy. Gee, why didn't the big, bad content owners do the same to literally everybody else? Now don't get me wrong, that likely was the original reason why this limitation was imposed. The only reason why it still lingers is because Apple's backend e-commerce server application software is many years behind the competition. Which - again - is the same reason why they also do not have browser-based stores for not only iTunes but the App Store. 

Apple didn't fall behind here because of "thieving" competitors or cheap/ignorant consumers. Apple fell behind because their product was - and still is - inferior. Apple has the best smartphone, the best tablet, the best PC and the best smartwatch. But they do not have the best multimedia solution and haven't in years.
    Ah the triggering begins. I didn’t say they invented digital media. Bad reading comprehension.

1. Apple TV too expensive? Find another streamer that runs A10x or is even half as good as Apple’s offering.

2. Nintendo makes their games for their consoles. Grocery stores have in house brands.

Oh that’s right only Apple is exempt from
    industry wide norms and shall he bashed for it.
    greedy greedy stupid Apple right?

3. Apple isn’t behind anyone. My point exactly is that these piggy backers wouldn’t exist or be remotely successful without Apple.
    You’re forgetting that Apple doesn’t own the actual movies. They just provide a avenue to stream the content. 

This whole Movies Anywhere is thanks in large part by Disney with the propriety KeyChest linking. Which is what they used for DMA of which is what this actually is. Disney just dropped the “Disney” name and partnered with other studios. 

So it really was already there and existed, but you didn’t have an issue with DMA, and this is just something far easier for consumers. Don’t you want that? Just because I buy a digital movie from Apple, it SHOULD NOT be locked into Apples, or anyone’s, ecosystem. You should be able to play it on whatever platform or whatever streaming app you want to use. 

Also, believe it or not, people have and use many other devices besides Apple. Now they can choose to buy a movie from whom ever they want or whom ever has the BETTER DEAL and have peace of mind they can watch it however they choose. 

Plus, Apple is on board with this. Sometimes you make good points for Apple but in this case, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 26 of 32
    peteo said:
    So I basically sign in with my itunes and amazon account and can watch all the movies I purchased on both platforms with this one app? there are not other fees?

Awesome!! 

Looking at the app you can even save the movies for off line viewing. WOot!
    Mostly, it currently is supported by 5 of the big Hollywood studios: Disney, Universal, Warner Bros, Sony, and 20th Century Fox.  The other big studios, Paramount and Lionsgate, as well as smaller, independent studios have not yet joined.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    MA is working as advertised now. The majority of my 4k library on VUDU is available on iTunes. (Not all)
  • Reply 28 of 32
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I’m seeing what I mentioned already materializing.

I’m in a digital movies group online and some people are talking about not needing Apple devices and sticking to cheap streaming because of this.

I can see how this can benefit Apple but it’s onvuously gonna hurt them more.

The number 1 reason I owned Apple TV was because of iTunes, that’s gone. I know my sister who likes Apple TV but will opt for cheaper Amazon devices will buy a fire stick now. Fuc*....
  • Reply 29 of 32
    daven said:
    Sounds to me like it is a good move by the studios to reduce the incentives for the public to pirate content much as iTunes did for musc. It s no longer frustrating that the movie you purchased on platform X won't play on platform y so there is less reason to pirate a copy.  I'm no expert in video quality but this may increase Apple sales if in fact their streaming quality is better than competing platforms.
    That’s not pirating.

cali said:
    This was in the works long before the Apple TV 4K announcement. Not EVERYTHING Apple does other follow. 
    Wtf are you talking about?

cali said:
    cali said:
    This is hilarious. First off, Apple did not invent retail digital media downloads. iTunes was not the first of its sort or anywhere close. They weren't even the first to do the $0.99 cents per song/$.99 per album thing, nor were they the first to do the 30 second preview thing. I suppose next you are going to resort to "Apple did it the best" or "Apple's became the dominant/most popular so others don't count"? Yeah, that is typical. Apple gets to appropriate and repurpose everyone else's ideas - and often has to get sued in order to force them to pay for it - and that is OK, but everyone should be hands off on every product that Apple produces, even when Apple themselves got the idea elsewhere? To put it another way ... even if Apple had the iTunes idea first - and I repeat they did not - other companies would have had as much right to copy it as Apple did.

And another issue ... people don't need another reason to abandon iTunes or Apple TV. There are plenty of reasons already. 
    1. Apple TV: the cheapest model costs $149. You can actually buy a name brand 32' HDTV for less. A Roku and a Fire TV stick - which offers 80% of the same features as the Fire TV, and when you consider features that most people will actually use (no, most people don't want to play mobile games on their TV, which by the way requires controllers that cost $40 apiece more increasing the cost to like $229) costs $30. And with a Roku you can access all your content no matter where you bought or rented it, not so with Apple TV.

2. iTunes: it was already outdated when it was originally launched because it is a standalone application. There were ALREADY web-browser based services that allowed you to buy and download media back in the 1990s. Now, everybody has a browser-based service - or at least a browser based companion to the standalone PC or mobile app - but Apple. YouTube/Google Play. Amazon. Disney. Ultraviolet/Vudu. Redbox. Target. And so on. Apple is the only one that requires you to access a massive bloated buggy slow application to search for and rent/buy movies, music, TV shows and books. What is worse, the competition has offered browser-based options for over ten years. I remember being able to download music from Walmart's website - the predecessor to what is now Vudu - way back in like 2005. 

3. Oh yeah, content rented through iTunes can only be downloaded on the device that it was originally rented on. No one else has this restriction. Literally no one! At first, Apple tried to claim that it was a restriction imposed on them by the studios to prevent piracy. Gee, why didn't the big, bad content owners do the same to literally everybody else? Now don't get me wrong, that likely was the original reason why this limitation was imposed. The only reason why it still lingers is because Apple's backend e-commerce server application software is many years behind the competition. Which - again - is the same reason why they also do not have browser-based stores for not only iTunes but the App Store. 

Apple didn't fall behind here because of "thieving" competitors or cheap/ignorant consumers. Apple fell behind because their product was - and still is - inferior. Apple has the best smartphone, the best tablet, the best PC and the best smartwatch. But they do not have the best multimedia solution and haven't in years.
    Ah the triggering begins. I didn’t say they invented digital media. Bad reading comprehension.

1. Apple TV too expensive? Find another streamer that runs A10x or is even half as good as Apple’s offering.

2. Nintendo makes their games for their consoles. Grocery stores have in house brands.

3. Apple isn’t behind anyone. My point exactly is that these piggy backers wouldn’t exist or be remotely successful without Apple.
    You’re forgetting that Apple doesn’t own the actual movies. They just provide a avenue to stream the content. 

This whole Movies Anywhere is thanks in large part by Disney with the propriety KeyChest linking. Which is what they used for DMA of which is what this actually is. Disney just dropped the “Disney” name and partnered with other studios. 

So it really was already there and existed, but you didn’t have an issue with DMA, and this is just something far easier for consumers. Don’t you want that? Just because I buy a digital movie from Apple, it SHOULD NOT be locked into Apples, or anyone’s, ecosystem. You should be able to play it on whatever platform or whatever streaming app you want to use. 

Also, believe it or not, people have and use many other devices besides Apple. Now they can choose to buy a movie from whom ever they want or whom ever has the BETTER DEAL and have peace of mind they can watch it however they choose. 

Plus, Apple is on board with this. Sometimes you make good points for Apple but in this case, YOU ARE DEAD WRONG. 

Posting an opinion in all caps doesn’t make it fact.

I’ve used DMA, So what?

Smart TVs are gonna take a huge chunk out of Apple TV now. I was gonna buy my mom a 4k tv with Apple TV but now I won’t have to buy an Apple TV because the TV comes with Vudu. Since Apple isn’t taking gaming seriously there’s hardly a reason to own an Apple TV now.

I don’t see how this will help Apple. What next? FaceTime and Siri on the competition?

My need for an Apple TV just hit an all time low. My need went from %100 to %50. 
  • Reply 30 of 32
    cali said:
    supadav03 said:
    This is great. This is basically Disney Movies Anywhere on steroids. This actually makes the Vudu app on my Apple TV useless now. Was so excited when it was added because it gave me access to my UV movies on my big screen. Now with this (if it works just like DMA) those versions will show up right in my iTunes library now. Nice perk with the free digital copies for linking libraries too. 
    I get the feeling there will be an app that links all your movies not necessarily on iTunes. Get what I’m saying? Just speculating here and I wouldn’t doubt it.

also don’t be surprised if this app/website becomes a reality and you can shop directly in it. Locking out Apple*, Amazon, Wal Mart etc.

Apple laid the groundwork now anyone can f**k them over.

*Yes Apple usually gets a cut on App sales and subscriptions but there’s contracts and ways around this(Uber). Safari sales don’t have to pay Apple either. 
    The movies will all show up in the “purchased” section of iTunes & under the “My Movies” section of the TV app. All linked movies will also show up in your Amazon app, Vudu app, Google Movie app & amovies Anywhere app. 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    cali said:
    daven said:
    That’s not pirating.

cali said:

cali said:
    cali said:

I’ve used DMA, So what?

Smart TVs are gonna take a huge chunk out of Apple TV now. I was gonna buy my mom a 4k tv with Apple TV but now I won’t have to buy an Apple TV because the TV comes with Vudu. Since Apple isn’t taking gaming seriously there’s hardly a reason to own an Apple TV now.

I don’t see how this will help Apple. What next? FaceTime and Siri on the competition?

My need for an Apple TV just hit an all time low. My need went from %100 to %50. 
    You're seriously complaining about saving money? If you feel that bad about not spending more for Apple gear donate the difference to one of the relief funds. I think I remember reading that Apple was collecting for at least one recently.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 32 of 32
    supadav03 said:
    cali said:
    supadav03 said:
    This is great. This is basically Disney Movies Anywhere on steroids. This actually makes the Vudu app on my Apple TV useless now. Was so excited when it was added because it gave me access to my UV movies on my big screen. Now with this (if it works just like DMA) those versions will show up right in my iTunes library now. Nice perk with the free digital copies for linking libraries too. 
    I get the feeling there will be an app that links all your movies not necessarily on iTunes. Get what I’m saying? Just speculating here and I wouldn’t doubt it.

also don’t be surprised if this app/website becomes a reality and you can shop directly in it. Locking out Apple*, Amazon, Wal Mart etc.

Apple laid the groundwork now anyone can f**k them over.

*Yes Apple usually gets a cut on App sales and subscriptions but there’s contracts and ways around this(Uber). Safari sales don’t have to pay Apple either. 
    The movies will all show up in the “purchased” section of iTunes & under the “My Movies” section of the TV app. All linked movies will also show up in your Amazon app, Vudu app, Google Movie app & amovies Anywhere app. 
    Yes I saw that. Works like DMA.

gatorguy said:
    cali said:
    daven said:
    That’s not pirating.

cali said:

cali said:
    cali said:

I’ve used DMA, So what?

You're seriously complaining about saving money? If you feel that bad about not spending more for Apple gear donate the difference to one of the relief funds. I think I remember reading that Apple was collecting for at least one recently.
    I’m complaining about Apple getting fucked over as usual for working hard. I have no idea why Apple would agree to this?

I just read someone bash Apple because they weren’t upgrading Vudu movies to 4k and they’re returning their Apple TV. WTF?? 

I see this move rocketing Fire Stick sales and Apple TV sales dropping unless Apple starts taking advantage of gaming and other strengths since iTunes movies isn’t a strength anymore.