Mac sales continue decline in Q3, Apple drops to 5th place worldwide

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 105
    LeBart1968LeBart1968 Posts: 16unconfirmed, member
    cgWerks said:
    The problem with all the statistics and such, is that I don't get their relevance (outside beancounter type thinking). As the analogy I've used before goes... Ford doesn't say, "Well look here, pickup trucks outsell cars... I guess we'll just put all our eggs in that basket and slow down car development... and heck, that GT40 doesn't make any profit at all, cut that program!"

I mean, what business with any amount of sense thinks like this? Sure, sometimes you have to cut product lines under certain circumstances, and profitability is a concern - in the big picture!.

I see ZERO reason for a company of Apple's scale, success, and profitability to go, 'hey Phones outsell all our other products by a wide margin... so let's just slowly shut down the Mac project and put all our eggs in smart-phones.'

The only other explanation I see for what happened, is that they literally had to shift so many resources to iOS/phones/tablets, that they took them from the Mac (and from what I heard, this is indeed what happened early on), and then finally someone woke up and rather recently, started to replace those resources.
    Probably true, but not very smart from a company with so many resources ... it's almost unbelievable.
    cgWerks
  • Reply 102 of 105
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    LeBart1968 said:
    Probably true, but not very smart from a company with so many resources ... it's almost unbelievable.
    To me, it is unbelievable. So, that makes me think there's some other reason, or it confirms that we're in trouble in regards to Apple's future. I'm open to what that alternative explanation might be that I'm missing.

Like I said, in my last paragraph, I hope it was a hiccup due to the chaos surrounding Steve's death and that they'll start to recover.
  • Reply 103 of 105
    netrox said:
    Apple needs to make affordable Mac minis!!!!
    And Mac Minis with upgradeable RAM, like just a few years ago.

• Reply 104 of 105
    macxpress said:
    netrox said:
    Apple needs to make affordable Mac minis!!!!
    $499 is not affordable? Sorry but the Mac mini isn't going to increase Apple's sales. It never has and never will be a big player. Apple is not in a race to the bottom. I'm sure Apple makes more revenue than most above them. Apple is never really concerned about selling the most...they're more concerned about the user experience and selling the best. Apple cannot cater to every single income level. 
    Sorry, but a bare-bones desktop machine needs 8 GB of RAM and 16 GB really should be the standard. So $899 is really what someone should expect to pay for a decent Mini.