Apple predicted to ditch Touch ID for Face ID with 2018 iPhone lineup

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    cali said:
    Of course it’s more than Face ID. Shopping is gonna be huge with AR kit. Don’t be surprised if we see FaceID 2.0 next year also. 
    What about ARKit will make the shopping experience different/better? Not that I’m doubting you, I just don’t see what change ARKit will bring. 

(To be fair, so far I’ve failed to understand quite a bit that others seem to be excited about regarding ARKit. The 3D characters on the sidewalk and games played “on” a table just seem like “we did this because we can”)
    Look at if this way,  imagine needing a part for your car. You don’t know what it is: now imagine being able to use AR to to picture the part on let’s say auto zones app. And it pulling that part up... 

or the shopping on ikea and being Apple to drop an item into your house to see if it fits. 

Then theres the ability to measure real life stuff with your phone. Like if you want to buy a new 6 tv but arnt sure if it will fit in your living room or . Or you want to mount your tv to the wall and need make sure it’s truly level.   
    edited October 2017 bb-15
  • Reply 22 of 64
    tulkas said:
    gatorguy said:
    It will not be surprising if they do. It's getting more difficult to have features that differentiate one smartphone from another and minimally for at least a year or so this will be Apple's. 
    Samsung already has facial recognition
    Now they don't. At least, not at the level of what Apple has achieved. Samsung simply has 2D facial recognition that can be tricked by showing it a printed out 2D photo of the face. That is like using a pressure sensor and calling it fingerprint scanner.
    Just another half-backed implementation from Samsung, made just for the sake of being able to claim they have the tech. However, when you go into details of the implementation, you realize that what they implemented is shit.
    edited October 2017 Soliargonautbb-15StrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    tulkas said:
    gatorguy said:
    It will not be surprising if they do. It's getting more difficult to have features that differentiate one smartphone from another and minimally for at least a year or so this will be Apple's. 
    Now they don't. At least, not at the level of what Apple has achieved. Samsung simply has 2D facial recognition that can be tricked by showing it a printed out 2D photo of the face. That is like using a pressure sensor and calling it fingerprint scanner.
    Just another half-backed implementation from Samsung, made just for the sake of being able to claim they have the tech. However, when you go into details of the implementation, you realize that what they implemented is shit.
    This is no different that people claiming that Apple was just playing catch up with Touch ID… and pretty much every other innovation that changed the way the industry had to do business.
  • Reply 24 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    "That prediction came with one caveat: a positive public reception."

So, our only hope rests on a very loud negative public reception?
    dysamoriaevilutionbrucemc
  • Reply 25 of 64
    Well, it would be very surprising if the SE X (lol) has that feature. Since Apple is reaching for the stars these days, I can imagine a $600 dollar 4 incher, and they keep the old SE around still at $350. I am so curious now to see how it plays in March. 
    I was thinking the same thing, negoc...As a current Se user, I'm really interested in what the next iteration will look like. I'm hoping it will look more like an X than an 8. But would be happy with a 7 style in the current Se dimensions. :)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 26 of 64

designr said:
    It feels like, with Face ID, Apple is a solving a problem that doesn't really exist. Touch ID made a lot of sense to me. Face ID less so.
    50,000 vs. 1,000,000? May want to take a look at the keynote. :)
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Hmmmm. I get face ID, and wireless charging and OLED screen...but I have to put w/ a 'notch' in the top? Sounds ok w/ me!

Is it just me, or do the 7's and 8's look dated with the 'chin' and the 'brow?'
  • Reply 28 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    Well, it would be very surprising if the SE X (lol) has that feature. Since Apple is reaching for the stars these days, I can imagine a $600 dollar 4 incher, and they keep the old SE around still at $350. I am so curious now to see how it plays in March. 
    I was thinking the same thing, negoc...As a current Se user, I'm really interested in what the next iteration will look like. I'm hoping it will look more like an X than an 8. But would be happy with a 7 style in the current Se dimensions. :)
    I'm hoping it stays just like it is now, but with new internals.

Is that worst case vs best case? Could just be a fluff statistic to help justify the move. Either is good enough in practice... it's more about the +/- of actually having to use it.
    baconstang
  • Reply 29 of 64
    Apple, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    baconstangdysamoria
  • Reply 30 of 64
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    grifmx said:
    Apple, if it ain't broke, don't fix it!
    Tell that to iOS 7 and its successors...
    argonautcgWerks
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Can Face ID work in the dark? If you are sleeping and wake up in a dark room and want to look at your phone?
  • Reply 32 of 64
    Can Face ID work in the dark? If you are sleeping and wake up in a dark room and want to look at your phone?
    Yes. 
    anton zuykov
  • Reply 33 of 64
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    OK, so 50,000 criminals sit around in a warehouse waiting for someone to bring in an iPhone for them all to try and unlock.
    After 5 failed attempts, it asks for the passcode and the remaining 49,995 criminals don't get to try.

1 in 50,000 is good odds for security.

The ease of access with Touch ID easily outweighs the extra security of Face ID.

If security was their goal, they'd consider finger vein readers.
    macpluspluscgWerks
  • Reply 34 of 64
    I don’t comment because I don’t want to create traffic to this article.
  • Reply 35 of 64
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Apple must know better because selecting faceid tech over already successful implemented touchid in iPhone. I would say that many android phone manufacturers will add the next evolution of touchid like under screen soon as they can implement. If I am Apple, I would still consider underscreen touch id for iphone 8S but iPhone XS can continue with faceid evolution. Two iPhone lines. Let people choose which iPhone works for them.
    edited October 2017 bb-15
  • Reply 36 of 64
    I think Face ID actually makes a lot more sense on Macs then on the phone, because the touch ID sensor would always have to be on a peripheral - except on laptops of course - but even there I would rather have it scan my face. I rarely need to unlock my computer or authorize something without looking at my screen. Makes much more sense there.
    macpluspluscgWerks
  • Reply 37 of 64
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,757member
    tulkas said:
    gatorguy said:
    Which is really what makes it so strange that you quoted only a portion of what I wrote....since I already covered that. Let's try a little more this time:
    " Samsung already has facial recognition. It may not work worth a damn, but the general market doesn't know that. If it's just bullet points, then they line up and there is no differentiation on that feature."

It really doesn't matter whether Samsung's is shit. They will claim the same feature, and claim to have had it first. And no one but fanatics will dispute that, which means it does not serve to differentiate anything except to the diehards that would buy iPhone anyway (and I count myself amongst that group).

The market doesn't "go into the details of the implementation". The market doesn't care. The market looks at Force Touch and thinks it's identical to what BB had 5 years before. The market looks at Touch ID and thinks Samsung's implementation is just as good. The market looks at Siri and doesn't care that Google is data mining the shit out of them and that Apple protects their privacy. The market doesn't care.

Diehards care.

Does Apple differentiate? Yes. They make the overall package more appealing by doing the pieces well. Touch ID was great not just because it was better than other finger print sensors, but because it as better than other authentication options, like passcodes, for convenience and speed and fluidity of use. FaceID may be better than other facial recognition systems, but it falls down when compared to Touch ID for convenience and speed and fluidity of use.

Take using Apple Pay for example. With Touch ID, it is one fluid action. You take your phone from pocket with finger of Home and hold it over the terminal. One fluid movement. Contrast that with Face ID. You remove phone from pocket and hold it over the terminal. Once prompted, you then move it and re-orient it to see you face and let it scan. Now you are done. Alternatively, you remove it from pocket. Re-adjust your grip to double press the power button and let it scan your face. Then when prompted, move it to the terminal and hold until complete.

It is demonstrably inferior and yet they are "going all in" on Face ID and removing TouchID. And that will be the differentiator. Others will offer both. Apple will limit it to one that is better in some cases and clearly worse in others.
    edited October 2017 waverboycgWerksbb-15
  • Reply 38 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I think Face ID actually makes a lot more sense on Macs then on the phone, because the touch ID sensor would always have to be on a peripheral - except on laptops of course - but even there I would rather have it scan my face. I rarely need to unlock my computer or authorize something without looking at my screen. Makes much more sense there.
    That may be part of their thinking. If we consider how Touch ID works on the MacBoo Pro we have a keyboard key for Touch ID that has to authenticate with the T1 chip which contains the secure enclave for Touch ID (and the secure element for Apple Pay).

In a laptop this is fine because the keyboard is part of the entire machine, but in an iMac this gets more tricky as you have to build this into a Bluetooth keyboard. With Face ID you can keep the secure enclave (and secure element for Apple Pay) in the iMac

This, again, more tricky when you have an attached monitor for a Mac Pro, Mac mini, or just an external monitor for a Mac, but at least it's still a cabled connection so the security considerations may not be as great as pushing this over wireless connections. That said, they've already had Apple Pay from the desktop Safari browser through iCloud to an iPhone or Apple Watch that supports the service for two major macOS versions so that might not be that much of a consideration after all; at least not for an infrequnt one-time payment. Still, I do think Face ID makes a lot of sense on an iMac over Touch ID on a Bluetooth keyboard.
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Soli said:
    tulkas said:
    gatorguy said:
    This is no different that people claiming that Apple was just playing catch up with Touch ID… and pretty much every other innovation that changed the way the industry had to do business.
    The difference is in the fact that the tech is nominally present, but is gimmicky or unusable, vs something that becomes a new norm, because of how convenient it is, comparing to older tech.
    A lot of people "claimed" they needed a jack and that Apple will go under because they removed it.
    One year has passed, and not only Apple did not go bankrupt, but also, critics started removing the jack as well.
  • Reply 40 of 64
    kent909kent909 Posts: 731member
    This will make the FBI, NSA, and HSA happy. Now all they have to do is pick up your phone and point it at your face and their in.