Google's Pixel 2 XL priced higher than Apple's iPhone 8 Plus but is half as fast, lacks ma...

Comments

• Reply 121 of 148
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    mvigod said:
    nht said:
    jbdragon said:

I just really find it funny that Google just 1 year ago on last models phones where bashing APple for not having a Headphone jack, and now here they are with no headphone jack. They have a Adapter that's more then DOUBLE the price of Apple's at $20, to Apple's $9. Worse they don't even include some headphones. I mean really??? A so called Premium phone, and all they do is throw in a over priced Adapter. HAHAHAHAHA You're paying more for less. What happened in this new warped world where Google's hardware costs are worse then Apple?
    Android zealots are so anti-Apple that in many ways it deeply resembles politics in America. 

Likewise, quite a few folks here are so anti-Google that Apple working with Google in any way doesn't compute.

Based on the folks I know at Google and Apple, there is a level of shared respect among elites despite the rivalry that the rabid fans don't get and never will because they won't ever be elites at anything...

The folks that work at Google and Apple are some of the very best tech folks in the country.  Their suckiest tech contributions are far better than DED's best.
    I agree completely. I really don't understand the psychological damage needed in a human to become such a rabid zealot of any company. I mean deep down inside, it's the need for what they prefer to be the "best". If it's not the "best", it negates their entire being. I find that both hilarious and so so sad at the same time. I currently have an iPhone 6 (work phone) and an iPad 10.5 Pro. I really dig iPad's and have never had an Android tablet be able to pull me away. The Tab S3 was close, but I found the SoC lacking for games... (That screen though, my God).

That being said, I truly prefer Android on a phone. It's not about specs. These specs are all overkill at this point anyway. It's all about functionality and the AI. For me, Android Assistant is so far beyond Siri it's not funny. Talking to Assistant is like speaking with an intelligent AI. Speaking to Siri is often like talking to a small child. I have to speak very deliberately, slowly and concise or Siri doesn't get it. It's frustrating for everything but the most simple task. I will also say this, using Apple carplay has made me consider driving my car off a road just to end the session. Slow, buggy and clueless. Apple maps on Carplay is so damn slow that I have to start setting things up about 15 mins before I plan on leaving. With Android Auto, I just talk like normal and I'm off to the races! I still can't get the damn music to stop pausing between the music app and maps app on Carplay. 

All that being said, I just pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL as for my needs, it looks amazing. It may not have the synthetic benchmark scores to keep some folks happy, but the AI on Android is a god damn pleasure to use and my wife doesn't notice a hiccup in using her year old Pixel everyday. Although I am buying the pixel 2, I'm certainly not giving up my iPad. I use that damn thing all day around the house. You see, I love Apple and Google for different reasons. It is possible for a well-rounded human being with little emotional scarring to like and appreciate both systems lol. Everyone's needs are different I understand, and if you're heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem, I get that too. But why have such an irrational hatred for the other side like the author of this article? It's just ridiculous. 

I just pre-ordered a Pixel 2 XL this morning as well for the same exact reasons as you did.  The AI and functionality are very important to me.  I like being able to squeeze the phone and ask Google a question, get directions or perform other functions.  Over 2/3 of my iPhone usage is interacting with Google AI, search, Gmail, calendar and other products.  iPhone home button for Siri is a complete waste of an opportunity for me. Every time I use iPhone I have to go into google app for voice search/assistant.  Now with Pixel I can squeeze the phone and cut out finger unlock > get to app > launch app > click or start a voice search.  Cut that out 100 times a day now.

For the Apple fans here I'm one of them but I think giving Android a go is now worthwhile for my daily driver phone.  I already have an iPhone 7 Plus and am adding the Pixel 2 XL to my account as my second number.  I can switch back and forth as I choose.  I'm a heavy apple house with 4 iPhones, 6 ipads, a MacBook Pro, two iMacs and two apple tv's.  Just stating this because I know many hardcore Apple fans simply won't believe it is even possible for an Apple customer to consider Android.  It is though.

Apple has some things that bug me and if there is a way to hedge my way a bit out of the ecosystem I'm happy to do it.  A huge one is that I can now use Android Auto to have Waze on my car's infotainment.  Apple has decided I should not have Waze or Spotify and be locked into their apps.  Sorry Apple.  That is a non-starter and that decision was what is good for Apple and not for me the customer.  Fail.  Also, let me remap the home button to something besides Siri.  Again this was good for Apple but bad for me the customer.  Let me enable "hey google" instead of "hey Siri" on my iPhone.  Too many things Apple does for apple and not me.

I would never buy Samsung Galaxy either for same reason.  Bixby button. WTF!  They won't let me remap that to Google Assistant.  That is good for Samsung and bad for me the customer.  Sorry, no sale.  Also, no OS updates or security patches in a timely manner on Galaxy phones.  No sale.

Pixel 2 hits the mark for me in everything I want in a phone.  What will I lose?  iMessage.  Find Friends.  What do I gain?  Easy access to features I use most with Google AI and services.  Android Auto.  Integration with Google home.  

I'll keep my iPhone 7 Plus as I said and just decide which one to take with me.  Depending on reviews of the X I may or may not upgrade my 7 Plus to an X. We'll see.
    You know why I won't buy a Pixel? Because my kids Nexus 5 is stuck on Marshmallow.  I can move it N because I am a dev and know how but the 2014 iPhone 5S just got iOS 11 so it just annoys me.  Oreo?  Yah, eventually maybe for the Nexus but not for any of the other Android phones I have.

He's got a Nexus because his ZTE Axon Pro's battery died and it just wasn't worth it to mess with when I had a Nexus to lend him.
    At least the new Pixel's are guaranteed at least three years of OS updates,  Android P, Q and perhaps even R in addition to the very latest Oreo version they'll ship with.
    1) As we've seen before with Android-based vendors, they'll make promises about updates and then say it won't or can't happen down the road long after the sales have been made. When you say "guaranteed" are they giving all buyers a contract that will give them a full refund if they don't get updates up through 2020? If not, then what exactly is guaranteed? Apple certainly doesn't guarantee updates, but they do have a great track record with updates, with only a few exceptions.

2) You always argue that Android doesn't need OS updates because they get app updates via Google Play. So why do OS updates matter at all then, much less with a "guarantee" from Google?
    watto_cobrafreediverx
  • Reply 122 of 148
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    mvigod said:
    nht said:
    jbdragon said:

I just really find it funny that Google just 1 year ago on last models phones where bashing APple for not having a Headphone jack, and now here they are with no headphone jack. They have a Adapter that's more then DOUBLE the price of Apple's at $20, to Apple's $9. Worse they don't even include some headphones. I mean really??? A so called Premium phone, and all they do is throw in a over priced Adapter. HAHAHAHAHA You're paying more for less. What happened in this new warped world where Google's hardware costs are worse then Apple?
    Android zealots are so anti-Apple that in many ways it deeply resembles politics in America. 

Likewise, quite a few folks here are so anti-Google that Apple working with Google in any way doesn't compute.

Based on the folks I know at Google and Apple, there is a level of shared respect among elites despite the rivalry that the rabid fans don't get and never will because they won't ever be elites at anything...

The folks that work at Google and Apple are some of the very best tech folks in the country.  Their suckiest tech contributions are far better than DED's best.
    I agree completely. I really don't understand the psychological damage needed in a human to become such a rabid zealot of any company. I mean deep down inside, it's the need for what they prefer to be the "best". If it's not the "best", it negates their entire being. I find that both hilarious and so so sad at the same time. I currently have an iPhone 6 (work phone) and an iPad 10.5 Pro. I really dig iPad's and have never had an Android tablet be able to pull me away. The Tab S3 was close, but I found the SoC lacking for games... (That screen though, my God).

That being said, I truly prefer Android on a phone. It's not about specs. These specs are all overkill at this point anyway. It's all about functionality and the AI. For me, Android Assistant is so far beyond Siri it's not funny. Talking to Assistant is like speaking with an intelligent AI. Speaking to Siri is often like talking to a small child. I have to speak very deliberately, slowly and concise or Siri doesn't get it. It's frustrating for everything but the most simple task. I will also say this, using Apple carplay has made me consider driving my car off a road just to end the session. Slow, buggy and clueless. Apple maps on Carplay is so damn slow that I have to start setting things up about 15 mins before I plan on leaving. With Android Auto, I just talk like normal and I'm off to the races! I still can't get the damn music to stop pausing between the music app and maps app on Carplay. 

All that being said, I just pre-ordered the Pixel 2 XL as for my needs, it looks amazing. It may not have the synthetic benchmark scores to keep some folks happy, but the AI on Android is a god damn pleasure to use and my wife doesn't notice a hiccup in using her year old Pixel everyday. Although I am buying the pixel 2, I'm certainly not giving up my iPad. I use that damn thing all day around the house. You see, I love Apple and Google for different reasons. It is possible for a well-rounded human being with little emotional scarring to like and appreciate both systems lol. Everyone's needs are different I understand, and if you're heavily invested in the Apple Ecosystem, I get that too. But why have such an irrational hatred for the other side like the author of this article? It's just ridiculous. 

I just pre-ordered a Pixel 2 XL this morning as well for the same exact reasons as you did.  The AI and functionality are very important to me.  I like being able to squeeze the phone and ask Google a question, get directions or perform other functions.  Over 2/3 of my iPhone usage is interacting with Google AI, search, Gmail, calendar and other products.  iPhone home button for Siri is a complete waste of an opportunity for me. Every time I use iPhone I have to go into google app for voice search/assistant.  Now with Pixel I can squeeze the phone and cut out finger unlock > get to app > launch app > click or start a voice search.  Cut that out 100 times a day now.

For the Apple fans here I'm one of them but I think giving Android a go is now worthwhile for my daily driver phone.  I already have an iPhone 7 Plus and am adding the Pixel 2 XL to my account as my second number.  I can switch back and forth as I choose.  I'm a heavy apple house with 4 iPhones, 6 ipads, a MacBook Pro, two iMacs and two apple tv's.  Just stating this because I know many hardcore Apple fans simply won't believe it is even possible for an Apple customer to consider Android.  It is though.

Apple has some things that bug me and if there is a way to hedge my way a bit out of the ecosystem I'm happy to do it.  A huge one is that I can now use Android Auto to have Waze on my car's infotainment.  Apple has decided I should not have Waze or Spotify and be locked into their apps.  Sorry Apple.  That is a non-starter and that decision was what is good for Apple and not for me the customer.  Fail.  Also, let me remap the home button to something besides Siri.  Again this was good for Apple but bad for me the customer.  Let me enable "hey google" instead of "hey Siri" on my iPhone.  Too many things Apple does for apple and not me.

I would never buy Samsung Galaxy either for same reason.  Bixby button. WTF!  They won't let me remap that to Google Assistant.  That is good for Samsung and bad for me the customer.  Sorry, no sale.  Also, no OS updates or security patches in a timely manner on Galaxy phones.  No sale.

Pixel 2 hits the mark for me in everything I want in a phone.  What will I lose?  iMessage.  Find Friends.  What do I gain?  Easy access to features I use most with Google AI and services.  Android Auto.  Integration with Google home.  

I'll keep my iPhone 7 Plus as I said and just decide which one to take with me.  Depending on reviews of the X I may or may not upgrade my 7 Plus to an X. We'll see.
    You know why I won't buy a Pixel? Because my kids Nexus 5 is stuck on Marshmallow.  I can move it N because I am a dev and know how but the 2014 iPhone 5S just got iOS 11 so it just annoys me.  Oreo?  Yah, eventually maybe for the Nexus but not for any of the other Android phones I have.

He's got a Nexus because his ZTE Axon Pro's battery died and it just wasn't worth it to mess with when I had a Nexus to lend him.
    At least the new Pixel's are guaranteed at least three years of OS updates,  Android P, Q and perhaps even R in addition to the very latest Oreo version they'll ship with.
    1) As we've seen before with Android-based vendors, they'll make promises about updates and then say it won't or can't happen down the road long after the sales have been made. When you say "guaranteed" are they giving all buyers a contract that will give them a full refund if they don't get updates up through 2020?

2) You always argue that Android doesn't need OS updates because they get app updates via Google Play. So why do OS updates matter at all then, much less with a "guarantee" from Google?
    1. Google isn't exactly like a typical Android vendor. :) As for guarantees I would assume that buyers would have the same recourse as an Apple purchaser who doesn't receive a guarantee that Apple offers. 

2. You putting words in my mouth Soli. While many of the newest Android features can be offered to nearly all active Android handsets via  Google Play or Play Services I don't recall anyone ever saying that full OS updates aren't beneficial and appreciated as well, and certainly no one ever said full OS updates have no value...

and if someone did say any of that, the "someone" was not me.  
    edited October 2017 techrules
  • Reply 123 of 148
    Just so ya'll know, I was ranman2017.  I logged in late yesterday to answer a few comments, and got a "Permission Denied. Sorry".  I can only assume that the ban hammer was slapped down on me.  That's fine.  The only thing I want to clarify for those that figured i would just post my comments and disappear.  If I did so, it is because the admins on this site decided it would be so, and not because I just ran away.  But, since my posts were somehow perceived as different than those of others who had negative comments about the article, I got shooed away....so I'm going.  Just wanted ya'll to know I didn't just choose to not answer.
  • Reply 124 of 148
    One YouTuber has already rec'd his Pixel 2 XL, posting his own early impressions. Fairly well done seeing as he's apparently a relative newbie at reviews. 

ranbanned2017techrules
  • Reply 125 of 148
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Sounds to me like Google and Apple are playing to their strengths. The interesting question is if Apple's hardware advantage continues to be meaningful in 5 years. That's not being antagonistic towards the iPhone, as I think iPhones right now are in the best place they've ever been when it comes to just straight up hardware prowess. The iPhone X will be an amazing showcase for Apple's design team.

As some people have said though, we're asking our phones questions more and more. Our phones are becoming less computers where our fingers are the mouse, and more A.I. that responds to needs as we ask them, or simply by gazing at the environment through passive noise, or cameras pointed at something. This is something that doesn't necessarily demand an A11 Bionic, or a Taptic system under the hood. All awesome hardware advantages now.

I love my iPhone 7, but I don't love Siri. This is becoming a bigger and bigger problem every year. I've used Google Assistant, and on Android it's becoming an increasing advantage. Apple claims Siri is getting better every year, but until she can tap into the huge database of information Google has, it's always going fumble in many questions I ask on a daily basis. How long Apple can fall behind in this category is a much bigger deal than the widening lead they have in CPU benchmarks.
    techrules
  • Reply 126 of 148
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    gatorguy said:
    1) As we've seen before with Android-based vendors, they'll make promises about updates and then say it won't or can't happen down the road long after the sales have been made. When you say "guaranteed" are they giving all buyers a contract that will give them a full refund if they don't get updates up through 2020?

1. Google isn't exactly like a typical Android vendor. :) As for guarantees I would assume that buyers would have the same recourse as an Apple purchaser who doesn't receive a guarantee that Apple offers. 

2. You putting words in my mouth Soli. While many of the newest Android features can be offered to nearly all active Android handsets via  Google Play or Play Services I don't recall anyone ever saying that full OS updates aren't beneficial and appreciated as well, and certainly no one ever said full OS updates have no value...

and if someone did say any of that, the "someone" was not me.  

Google actually is a typical Android vendor. Two years ago it shipped Nexus 6 and Nexus 9, yet neither are supported by ARCore, its attempt to throw out a competitor to ARKit. Apple's AR software works on iPhone 6s, which came out the same year as those models. They don't even get the current Android O, which is equivalent to iOS 11. Apple supports iOS 11 all the way back to iPhone 5s, which came out in 2013 when the "best Android phones" were Moto X, Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4.

Those models were cut off at Android 5 L, apart from Nexus, which got an Android 6 M update, at least two years fewer than iPhone 5s buyers (so far!)

Google has also promised a lot of things in the past, including that Android licensees would get on board to support phones for at least a year and a half (18 months) back in 2011. That didn't happen. 

And yes, you do keep saying updates don't matter because Google Play can deliver new software. Except that didn't happen for ARCore. 
    edited October 2017 Soliwatto_cobrafreediverx
  • Reply 127 of 148
    What am I doing... 
    EDIT
    edited October 2017 techrules
  • Reply 128 of 148
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    mvigod said:
    nht said:
    jbdragon said:

Thats an improvement over the Pixel where they only promised 2 years.  Hopefully they're underpromising and will deliver more.

I guess we'll know in a few years.
    watto_cobratechrules
  • Reply 129 of 148
    nht said:
    gatorguy said:
    nht said:
    mvigod said:
    nht said:
    jbdragon said:

Thats an improvement over the Pixel where they only promised 2 years.  Hopefully they're underpromising and will deliver more.

I guess we'll know in a few years.
    Yes it is. There's quite a bit of change that seems to be coming to Google and Android, and it's for the better. 
    techrules
  • Reply 130 of 148
    All that "bionic processing" and the iPhone still can't take better pictures than Pixel phones. The so-called "state-of-the-art" hardware of the iPhones does not camoflage the reality that Siri is still 5 generations behind the Google Assistant. Apple is bringing superficial hardware flourishes to an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning fight, and Google is showing the world their ass for it. "You've been told that you think need 2 phones lens and supercomputing image processing to create a bokeh effect in photos. Well that's bullshit. With AI, Machine Learning, one lens, and significantly less computing power, we've destroyed that myth forever with the Pixel 2." --Google Google's hardware event embarrassed Apple beyond repair. It showed just how far behind Apple is in AI and Machine Learning. And it showed the world that future is not hardware at all, but ambient computing powered by AI. And it showed Apple is not ready for that world. So, is not surprsing the author of this article is not only salty, but is also scared straight out of his delusion that Apple's hardware prowess matters. Especially in a future where the battle has shifted to AI.
    techrules
  • Reply 131 of 148
    jbdragon said:
    I don't know what it is with Google's Insane Prices on their new hardware...
    I just really find it funny that Google just 1 year ago on last models phones where bashing APple for not having a Headphone jack...
     Worse they don't even include some headphones. I mean really??? A so called Premium phone, and all they do is throw in a over priced Adapter
    And Apple is selling the iPhone 8 and promoting wireless charging as a wonderful new feature, but no wireless charger included. NO ONE needs another set of $2 wired earbuds. Yeah companies like to sell nice accessories. Profit.
    edited October 2017 singularity
  • Reply 132 of 148
    hahah this article was hilarious. I searched "Google Pixel 2 XL Review" and came across this. Is this guy on crack or just really mad about something?
  • Reply 133 of 148
    "That's the prices Google has set for its pedestrian Pixel 2 XL, a phone that lacks the sophisticated hardware, the serious software, the enterprise credibility and the attractive design of an iPhone 8 Plus. Pixel 2 XL, along with its mismatched Pixel 2 built by HTC, look like a couple of plastic, abandoned refrigerators, not sleek smartphones."

lol I wonder what side this guy's on

"The reality is that this serves as a full time listening bug so Google can analyze everything it hears all the time, just like Google Home. It listens to what shows you have playing, what music you hear, what advertising you're exposed to, and what you say in personal conversations. You pay for Google's data collection with taxed performance and lower battery life. You also pay a premium price for the hardware, which is even slow by Android standards."

hahahah this would be illegal. In reality all the analysis happens on the phone. And all smart home devices, when operating properly can only send data to the cloud when keyed by a hotword or touch controls. It's just like siri

"Pixel 2 has more expensive dongles, lacks modern new features and dumps several ideas that Google paraded as important last year. It fully reflects its maker as a greed machine without a shred of shame or humanity; a company that sees no value in honesty or integrity. Unsurprisingly, it gets top marks from phony reviewers."

About pixel buds:
    "
    There's no ability to use their touch sensors to control song playback, and they don't automatically shut off when removed. But they cost the same price as AirPods, despite looking like cheap branded things Google would give away at a conference."

This is blatantly false, they do have touch controls

This guys is on one

edited October 2017
  • Reply 134 of 148
    honestly, i enjoy reading the facts. however, i do believe it would've been less annoying to say google sucks after every sentence. it seriously seems like the author was more so venting. google did become a hypocrite from its own branded phones. other than that great read
    freediverx
  • Reply 135 of 148
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    "That's the prices Google has set for its pedestrian Pixel 2 XL, a phone that lacks the sophisticated hardware, the serious software, the enterprise credibility and the attractive design of an iPhone 8 Plus. Pixel 2 XL, along with its mismatched Pixel 2 built by HTC, look like a couple of plastic, abandoned refrigerators, not sleek smartphones."

lol I wonder what side this guy's on

"The reality is that this serves as a full time listening bug so Google can analyze everything it hears all the time, just like Google Home. It listens to what shows you have playing, what music you hear, what advertising you're exposed to, and what you say in personal conversations. You pay for Google's data collection with taxed performance and lower battery life. You also pay a premium price for the hardware, which is even slow by Android standards."

hahahah this would be illegal. In reality all the analysis happens on the phone. And all smart home devices, when operating properly can only send data to the cloud when keyed by a hotword or touch controls. It's just like siri

"Pixel 2 has more expensive dongles, lacks modern new features and dumps several ideas that Google paraded as important last year. It fully reflects its maker as a greed machine without a shred of shame or humanity; a company that sees no value in honesty or integrity. Unsurprisingly, it gets top marks from phony reviewers."

About pixel buds:
    "
    There's no ability to use their touch sensors to control song playback, and they don't automatically shut off when removed. But they cost the same price as AirPods, despite looking like cheap branded things Google would give away at a conference."

This is blatantly false, they do have touch controls

This guys is on one

Right... "Ahahaha ahahaha" at you too koolaid sniffer:, are you drugs?

Go smoke a doobie somewhere else, just after sucking Google's tit harder, cause you do have to alternate your drugs.

Google's uses that fracking data from 1000 different places to serve me pure crap from third parties that then dumps it in my face for "free" (sic) services. and Apple does not. Simple isn't it.

Now, go suck at that tit, pump hard.I know you can.

• Reply 136 of 148
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    hahah this article was hilarious. I searched "Google Pixel 2 XL Review" and came across this. Is this guy on crack or just really mad about something?
    I think you're on crack; stop projecting.
  • Reply 137 of 148
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    Really it comes down to what is important to you.   If your priority is getting the best smartphone camera you can get you get the Pixel.   If you prefer iOS and the best camera not as important to you get the iPhone.   Really not that complicated.   

I carry both an iPhone and an Android phone have have a Pixel 2 XL coming.   Having the best camera is important to me and was closed the deal was having portrait mode on the front camera.   Hope Apple next year does a double camera on the front so they can do portrait or Google will license Apple their AI computational photo IP.

edited October 2017
  • Reply 138 of 148
    techrulestechrules Posts: 53unconfirmed, member
    All that "bionic processing" and the iPhone still can't take better pictures than Pixel phones. The so-called "state-of-the-art" hardware of the iPhones does not camoflage the reality that Siri is still 5 generations behind the Google Assistant. Apple is bringing superficial hardware flourishes to an Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning fight, and Google is showing the world their ass for it. "You've been told that you think need 2 phones lens and supercomputing image processing to create a bokeh effect in photos. Well that's bullshit. With AI, Machine Learning, one lens, and significantly less computing power, we've destroyed that myth forever with the Pixel 2." --Google Google's hardware event embarrassed Apple beyond repair. It showed just how far behind Apple is in AI and Machine Learning. And it showed the world that future is not hardware at all, but ambient computing powered by AI. And it showed Apple is not ready for that world. So, is not surprsing the author of this article is not only salty, but is also scared straight out of his delusion that Apple's hardware prowess matters. Especially in a future where the battle has shifted to AI.
    It so frustrating how bad Siri continues to be compared to Google.   It is so frustrating that it does NOT even seem like Apple cares.   But then it is all the AI that Google is doing and Apple appears to not even be interested.   The new UI and AI and after Apple lead the last 2 GUI transitions it is really disappointing to see Apple miss the latest so badly.   This is where Apple really misses Jobs.
    edited October 2017 freediverx
  • Reply 139 of 148
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    techrules said:
    Really it comes down to what is important to you.   If your priority is getting the best smartphone camera you can get you get the Pixel.   If you prefer iOS and the best camera not as important to you get the iPhone.   Really not that complicated.   

I carry both an iPhone and an Android phone have have a Pixel 2 XL coming.   Having the best camera is important to me and was closed the deal was having portrait mode on the front camera.   Hope Apple next year does a double camera on the front so they can do portrait or Google will license Apple their AI computational photo IP.

I have to agree. There's a lot to like in all high end phones. It's possible the new Pixels might get discounts or promotional packs at some point (taking them below the newest iPhone pricing) but price isn't a deciding factor for many people in this band anyway. 

If the camera is your highest priority, don't forget to check out the last big name phone announcement of the year on Monday (Mate 10). You'll then be able to line up all the camera offerings from Apple, Samsung, Google, Huawei and others and see what's possible through hardware/software/AI and get a better idea of real world performance.

Quad camera phones are already available with more to come but you have to poke around to make sure that the features you need are on the device. Image stabilization for example.
  • Reply 140 of 148
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    techrules said:
    It so frustrating how bad Siri continues to be compared to Google.   It is so frustrating that it does NOT even seem like Apple cares.   But then it is all the AI that Google is doing and Apple appears to not even be interested.   The new UI and AI and after Apple lead the last 2 GUI transitions it is really disappointing to see Apple miss the latest so badly.   This is where Apple really misses Jobs.
    I stopped using Siri a while ago as the experience was frustrating. I recently had the opportunity to try again via CarPlay and found that Siri was still failing and Apple Maps was simply unusable in the area I was moving in.

I was surprised by the lack of data and/or up to date data on Maps.

The good news is that this is a back end technology and can only get better.

Other questions that need work are Spanish Spanish female accent (far worse than the previous iOS 9 Siri) and the ability to discern between two languages. Whoever manages to get bilingual verbal assistance working decently will draw people over even if the replies don't offer as much contextual information.