Apple predicted to ditch Touch ID for Face ID with 2018 iPhone lineup

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    designr said:
    It feels like, with Face ID, Apple is a solving a problem that doesn't really exist. Touch ID made a lot of sense to me. Face ID less so.
    Have you used it yet to make this proclamation?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Can Face ID work in the dark? If you are sleeping and wake up in a dark room and want to look at your phone?
    If you simply typed that into a search engine you would have found the answer.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 43 of 64
    kent909 said:
    This will make the FBI, NSA, and HSA happy. Now all they have to do is pick up your phone and point it at your face and their in.
    It requires eye contact...so don't look at it if some control-freak cop or a criminal try to get it unlocked.

Or you can disable it (and TouchID) temporarily by hitting the sleep/wake button 5 times in a row, if you happen to be crossing a border, being pulled over by a cop, etc.
  • Reply 44 of 64
    Please no on the next SE. I'm okay with no home button (though I don't mind it at all, and I don't mind the form factor, bezel and all), BUT, I want Touch ID...on screen is just fine by me. I was excited at hearing the of the possibility of this technology during the rumor stages of the X. As someone who leaves the assistive touch home button on as a supplement to the physical home button, I could see the on screen Touch ID working just like an assistive touch home button. I have no interest whatsoever in another gesture to access the functions that the home button brings like switching between apps, return home etc. I know every time Apple releases a new technology or cuts out old technology they get slammed for being gimmicky, but to me face recognition vs finger print is gimmicky. ...course I still maintain the MBP touch bar and lack of ports as well as the new iPhones' lack of headphone jack as gimmicky. : ).
    I remember when the iPhone was slammed for not having a keyboard. It'll never sell to business users, the pundits said. Some startups even tried to sell a physical keyboard accessory. Multitouch is gimmicky, "real smartphones" have keyboards.

I remember when the mouse was slammed for being gimmicky. Graphical user interfaces were called gimmicky. Real computers had function keys. Real users needed them to get work done. There used to be companies that sold keyboard overlays with Microsoft office keyboard shortcuts printed on them.

Touch ID was called gimmicky when it came out. Go back and look in the forums and read the troll posts. Touch ID was introduced not to enable ApplePay (which came later), but to reduce the rash of smartphone thefts, which sometimes included aggravated assault. Oh, but now thieves will cut your finger off, they predicted. But instead, smartphone thefts plummeted and privacy was vastly improved.

64-bit CPUs were called gimmicky. But that didn't stop Samsung from promising a 64-bit "me too" CPU as soon as the Apple A7 was unveiled to the world. Guess it went from "gimmicky" to "essential" as soon as Android had it.

Remember that when Android flagships start promoting some version of Face ID, and everyone expects it as "essential."
    SoliStrangeDaysnetrox
  • Reply 45 of 64
    I'd preorder an X minus as soon as I could get on to the website at $599. 
    I'll be right behind you 🙂
    There isn’t going to be an iPhone SE in that small form factor friend. The aesthetic is wildly off brand now and will Look dated and mostly it’s being bought by teens, poor people who want to buy in, and old white people who like the past and phones that “can fit in thier pocket” 

Seriously though there will will only be 3 phones - or the fourth  (SE) won’t be sold in America in that specific form factor because it dilutes the brand and worse a diluted iOS invites fragmentation in a lineup that needs differentiation and they aren’t shoving AR into a 4 inch form. That’s dumb. Among a million other reasons. Maybe they keep the 6s around maybe not... but a phone that’s running the same OS as the X minus a few features not integral to the operation of the phone is a terrible strategy for getting people to buy 1000$ phones.

People who buy solely for price point will skew consumer demand down scale

Recently overheard somewhere in America where people shop in Walmart “well ... the phone does most of the same stuff ok and it runs my apps - - 600$ is a huge savings!  the SE is for me - and it fits in my pocket!” said the retired Caucasian man in the “Make America Great Again” trucker hat.

A sub 5 inch phone is a dinosaur And I’d guess it exists now for 600$ less than thier flagship running 11 Due to stock / inventory/ and the logistical transfer of it to thier New Indian business production agreement and that markets consumption. My guess is once gone - it won’t be back.

People in a pinch Buy what they can afford. It’s a short term product hence - “Special Edition” not as in  Special Education. That’s a totally different short bus.

Apple doesn’t have Sales, Bargains, or deviate from a trillion dollar pricing strategy -only a handful of times since they became profitable again and FOR A REASON.

Apple has built things that are not born out of a desire to be sold - they’re built from an intention. A desire to be beloved, thoughtful and to solve specific problems they’ve deemed important to solve... and they dont have the standard American/Christian “Poverty Consciousness” nor do they care if they keep “your business.”

They believe they are on a different plane. You think I’m nuts? Ever wonder why they can make twice as much on a phone than others when - honestly - they’re filled with parts that are kinda the same?

The “Premium” isn’t just the product actually it’s the Intention. It’s design is rooted in how it’s conception was articulated by Jony and manifested through the various folks that serve his articulations blessed by both its consumer base and Steve desire for the future of the company.., they believe that that is a value added feature they can charge us for... they don’t tell you that or explain it (Jony sometimes try’s too but designers always sound cagey and silly when they speak about process) but  Go back and read the philosophy that Steve was very clearly articulating in the last years of his life. From Steve’s mouth not his many biographers... when he said “make a dent in the universe” why did he say that ? Why did he think he could? Why does Apple continue to succeed after he’s gone?

Because they copy what what he did, they follow his playbook and I’d speculate believe in that same eastern ethos hook line and sinker. And it’s a secret mostly to the folks buying phones. But so is everything intelligent in America. Plus it’s spirtual and Jesus isn’t involved. That’s a non starter in #maga land.

Specifically - the spiritual principles at work here aren’t subtle - his love of Japanese spiritual philosophy, effusive praise of Sonys corporate culture and design (now gone sadly - but  openly Zen/Shinto - ish - although that’s a stupid word to describe that ideology) or his embracing of the weird turtleneck uniform executed with precision and most importantly his resolute emotionally  detached behavior to employees and the press chronicled endlessly by many books now. He wasn’t a dick he was on a mission. And his success only made him certain that he had been successful where others hadn’t... It was called the distortion field. Sound criticism except those that mocked it are forgotten and Apple will be the worlds first Trillion dollar business.

Regardless of how the management remembers him - he was a strange bird. Essentially Apple was dead when he came back and the turn around wasn’t just successful it was fundamentally different than what they teach in business school and the size of the success since has only solidified this marketing strategy, the walled garden ecosystem and that’s gonna sell 1000 phones. 

Apple was imbued with the very best of his efforts personally and publicly. I imagine they have sought to keep close to his ideology and never deviate because frankly it’s profound and reflected no where else in American Industry. They call it they’re “DNA” - which is a simple way to tell stupid people they’re buying into a Spirtual principle they would flatly reject cause the word Spirtual must always mean Jesus or ...

Whether the public has forgotten him or not and whether they know he was strange or not and whether these products are built steeped in a spiritually intended design all are footnotes on the nearly Trillion dollar companys many successes.

Not the same business that once sold me a Performa in a Sears...

The Price isn’t built on greed or profit margin they feel that this intention has a value and is maybe the most important differentiation of all.

It won’t matter (so long as the jewish zombie crowd remains on that short bus oblivious to that thing they hold in thier hand and stare at all day) why he was weird we just want the newest articulation of that principle. Of course the business is built according to rigid sound principles of scale but requires Cheap (slave) labor

So after allllll that - reigning this post back in - the SE is not something we’re gonna see next year in the current form. I’d wager at all. We won’t see an iPad Mini either - that was a profitable mistake and they figured it out. Which is why the price wasn’t slashed to reflect its place in the lineup. They slash a price like that and it’s fundamentally wrong if seen from the context I’ve just described. 

The 5s will live on as an Indian built emerging markets only device. Perhaps even regionalized. Can they still do that? The tricky regulatory framework they negotiated to get the subcontinent an affordable iPhone (extensive red tape and prohibitive regulation) precludes any reason for it to exist just so old white dudes can fit a 6 year old phone in thier pocket... and poor people can buy in into iOS... there’s more than that too obviously 🙄 but let it go. 

The past and our our emotional attachment to it, the way things were, the way we remember them and the things we used while there have got to be the most vain and indulgent uniquely American sentiments. They govern all things but of all the things we consume applying this to an Apple product is just ridiculous because everything they do was built for now, this time, this problem etc. 

Never what people want. Ever. 

Which is why wall Street keeps trying to ruin them or punish them but fails. They don’t value what they do the way other companies value thier shareholders - I’d argue they even show contempt for them occasionally. The buybacks are indicative of a shift towards a less adversarial approach to them but that’s mostly a Post Jobs idea. Steve was happy to fight whoever or whatever so long as he could he could make Apple relevant. 

Boy does the street try though. Keep manipulating that stock Bloomberg, IBN and whatever Ming is employed by... 

Hug ur tiny phone from 2013 tight friend ;) or Buy bigger jeans. Perhaps with an elastic band. Or learn Sanskrit ? 
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Please no on the next SE. I'm okay with no home button (though I don't mind it at all, and I don't mind the form factor, bezel and all), BUT, I want Touch ID...on screen is just fine by me. I was excited at hearing the of the possibility of this technology during the rumor stages of the X. As someone who leaves the assistive touch home button on as a supplement to the physical home button, I could see the on screen Touch ID working just like an assistive touch home button. I have no interest whatsoever in another gesture to access the functions that the home button brings like switching between apps, return home etc. I know every time Apple releases a new technology or cuts out old technology they get slammed for being gimmicky, but to me face recognition vs finger print is gimmicky. ...course I still maintain the MBP touch bar and lack of ports as well as the new iPhones' lack of headphone jack as gimmicky. : ).
    I remember when the iPhone was slammed for not having a keyboard. It'll never sell to business users, the pundits said. Some startups even tried to sell a physical keyboard accessory. Multitouch is gimmicky, "real smartphones" have keyboards.

I remember when the mouse was slammed for being gimmicky. Graphical user interfaces were called gimmicky. Real computers had function keys. Real users needed them to get work done. There used to be companies that sold keyboard overlays with Microsoft office keyboard shortcuts printed on them.

Touch ID was called gimmicky when it came out. Go back and look in the forums and read the troll posts. Touch ID was introduced not to enable ApplePay (which came later), but to reduce the rash of smartphone thefts, which sometimes included aggravated assault. Oh, but now thieves will cut your finger off, they predicted. But instead, smartphone thefts plummeted and privacy was vastly improved.

64-bit CPUs were called gimmicky. But that didn't stop Samsung from promising a 64-bit "me too" CPU as soon as the Apple A7 was unveiled to the world. Guess it went from "gimmicky" to "essential" as soon as Android had it.

Remember that when Android flagships start promoting some version of Face ID, and everyone expects it as "essential."

People tend to only look at what is right in front of them and compare it to what they are familiar with. It's similar to going to your parents house and upgrading their computer and trying to show them how awesome and easy is it to do things now. But then they complain that they can't find that 1 thing they used to be able to find, so you messed up everything.

That's what I'm reading here in these forums. People complaining about that 1 thing, without being able to step be and see the bigger picture. If Apple didn't force the physical keyboard to go away, we would miss out on so many great features. These came after. Touch ID was initially to unlock your phone. Then more function came after. Bluetooth, cloud storage, virtual assistants...these were all intended for a specific purpose and yet have an infinite amount of potential. 

The same thing will happen to Face ID. Many people see it as a gimmicky way to unlock their phone. Apple knows better. They added extra sensors and more dedicated chips inside the device. They didn't do this to unlock your phone and get quicker Snapchats. There's a much bigger picture. It's just the next step in a new tech chapter. Today it unlocks your phone. Tomorrow, Siri asks you why you look sad. She'll tell your heart rate by looking at your neck veins. Face ID (or whatever iteration) will be in your car and will recognize you and unlock, start, and adjust to you. Apple TV will know if you like a movie by how you look at it. Point your phone at anything and it will tell you everything about it. This is straight up Minority Report tech we are moving into. AI, face/object recognition, location tracking, cloud and device connectivity, energy management, miniature production...these are all parts of the next evolution. Apple is taking the lead in all of these segments. 
    suddenly newtonStrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 64
    Can Face ID work in the dark? If you are sleeping and wake up in a dark room and want to look at your phone?
    1. Yes, it does.
    2. It does not blind you with the light when it tries to scan your face.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    wood1208 said:
    Apple must know better because selecting faceid tech over already successful implemented touchid in iPhone.
    They didn't necessarily do it because it's better, but to gain the screen space. Then they try to backfill the 'better' story, just like they did when they removed the 3.5mm jack. We'll see if it really is better, but I'm just saying that's not necessarily why the did it.

anton zuykov said:
    The difference is in the fact that the tech is nominally present, but is gimmicky or unusable, vs something that becomes a new norm, because of how convenient it is, comparing to older tech.
    A lot of people "claimed" they needed a jack and that Apple will go under because they removed it.
    One year has passed, and not only Apple did not go bankrupt, but also, critics started removing the jack as well.
    We didn't say Apple was going to go under because they removed the jack. We said it was a bad idea, and the reasons Apple gave were bogus. We also said it seems part of a trend of Apple bad decisions which seem to indicated a shift from prioritizing UX. And.... then, if that's the case, Apple is doomed in the longer term. (A company with $250B and top brand recognition doesn't just go under in a year... no matter how bad their current state is!)

kent909 said:
    This will make the FBI, NSA, and HSA happy. Now all they have to do is pick up your phone and point it at your face and their in.
    No doubt... though not if you hear the black helicopters coming, or them breaking in mid-night... and have the forethought to press the right buttons enough times. I'm sure as they cuff you, they'd also offer, 'hey, would you like to press the power button 5x before we continue?'

suddenly newton said:

Touch ID was called gimmicky when it came out. Go back and look in the forums and read the troll posts.
    Yea, I remember all of that too, and was one writing against it. I'm not saying the same thing now, though. What changed? Something at Apple, or have I just become a curmudgeon suddenly? And, who didn't want Touch ID? I don't recall that. We might have said it wasn't a necessity (like buying advice between devices with/without), but I don't recall anyone saying they wouldn't want it or preferred some other method. There might have been some skepticism whether it would work good enough. That's a lot different than saying it's a gimmick or arguing another method is better.

bradford_kirby said:
    There isn’t going to be an iPhone SE in that small form factor friend. The aesthetic is wildly off brand now and will Look dated and mostly it’s being bought by teens, poor people who want to buy in, and old white people who like the past and phones that “can fit in thier pocket” 

Seriously though there will will only be 3 phones - or the fourth  (SE) won’t be sold in America in that specific form factor because it dilutes the brand and worse a diluted iOS invites fragmentation in a lineup that needs differentiation and they aren’t shoving AR into a 4 inch form. That’s dumb. Among a million other reasons. Maybe they keep the 6s around maybe not... but a phone that’s running the same OS as the X minus a few features not integral to the operation of the phone is a terrible strategy for getting people to buy 1000$ phones.

People who buy solely for price point will skew consumer demand down scale

Recently overheard somewhere in America where people shop in Walmart ...
    OK, I don't even need to read the rest. If there is no SE next model (or an appropriate version in the regular lineup) then my next phone won't be made by Apple. I didn't buy my SE because of price, I specifically bought it because of the form-factor, as well as features like 3.5mm jack. Your diatribe consists of a lot of false assumptions, and generally baloney.

tommy0guns said:
    Today it unlocks your phone. Tomorrow, Siri asks you why you look sad. She'll tell your heart rate by looking at your neck veins. Face ID (or whatever iteration) will be in your car and will recognize you and unlock, start, and adjust to you. Apple TV will know if you like a movie by how you look at it. Point your phone at anything and it will tell you everything about it. This is straight up Minority Report tech we are moving into. AI, face/object recognition, location tracking, cloud and device connectivity, energy management, miniature production...these are all parts of the next evolution. Apple is taking the lead in all of these segments. 
    This is frightening, though I suppose you're right. Maybe time to start looking for remote cabins. It's Microsoft's dancing paperclip on steroids.
    bb-15designr
  • Reply 49 of 64
    tipootipoo Posts: 1,142member
    Yusss, so this means the regular 8-replacement model will be the reduced bezel X design? Great, I'm in. 

I'm on the 7, waited out this year because I didn't want my next iPhone to be 750p, have those bezels again, or be 1500CAD most of all lol 
  • Reply 50 of 64
    brucemc said:

Or you can disable it (and TouchID) temporarily by hitting the sleep/wake button 5 times in a row, if you happen to be crossing a border, being pulled over by a cop, etc.
    "Hitting the sleep/wake button 5 times" is also used for calling emergency services (if you have Auto Call enabled in Settings).
  • Reply 51 of 64
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,881member
    kent909 said:
    FUD nonsense. try harder 
  • Reply 52 of 64

cgWerks said:
    anton zuykov said:
    The difference is in the fact that the tech is nominally present, but is gimmicky or unusable, vs something that becomes a new norm, because of how convenient it is, comparing to older tech.
    A lot of people "claimed" they needed a jack and that Apple will go under because they removed it.
    One year has passed, and not only Apple did not go bankrupt, but also, critics started removing the jack as well.
    We didn't say Apple was going to go under because they removed the jack. We said it was a bad idea, and the reasons Apple gave were bogus. We also said it seems part of a trend of Apple bad decisions which seem to indicated a shift from prioritizing UX. And.... then, if that's the case, Apple is doomed in the longer term. (A company with $250B and top brand recognition doesn't just go under in a year... no matter how bad their current state is!)

suddenly newton said:

Touch ID was called gimmicky when it came out. Go back and look in the forums and read the troll posts.
    Yea, I remember all of that too, and was one writing against it. I'm not saying the same thing now, though. What changed? Something at Apple, or have I just become a curmudgeon suddenly? And, who didn't want Touch ID? I don't recall that. We might have said it wasn't a necessity (like buying advice between devices with/without), but I don't recall anyone saying they wouldn't want it or preferred some other method. There might have been some skepticism whether it would work good enough. That's a lot different than saying it's a gimmick or arguing another method is better.
    No, removing the legacy headphone jack wasn’t a bad decision nor the reasons bogus. Head of engineering explained quite clearly what they could do with the space. Despite all the panicking it has t been a big deal at all. Apple is not doomed just because old timers get upset whenever someone moves their cheese. 

And yes, of course people lost their shit over touch id. If you honestly don’t remember this then you weren’t paying very close attention. 

If you hate all the decisions Apple makes and continually believe they’re wrong and doomed, just buy a Dell. Seriously what’s stopping you? But you won’t. We know. 
  • Reply 53 of 64

designr said:
    brucemc said:
    designr said:
    It feels like, with Face ID, Apple is a solving a problem that doesn't really exist. Touch ID made a lot of sense to me. Face ID less so.
    Have you used it yet to make this proclamation?
    Nope. I was expressing a gut feeling. It's allowed.
    Allowed but still ignorant. 
  • Reply 54 of 64
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    StrangeDays said:
    No, removing the legacy headphone jack wasn’t a bad decision nor the reasons bogus. Head of engineering explained quite clearly what they could do with the space. Despite all the panicking it has t been a big deal at all. Apple is not doomed just because old timers get upset whenever someone moves their cheese. 

And yes, of course people lost their shit over touch id. If you honestly don’t remember this then you weren’t paying very close attention. 

If you hate all the decisions Apple makes and continually believe they’re wrong and doomed, just buy a Dell. Seriously what’s stopping you? But you won’t. We know. 
    I know they wanted the space, and agree, that was the reason. What I was referring to as bogus, is that it's a legacy port, so no longer needed... and that it would improve the sound quality and such. It actually degraded the sound quality a bit with the stock setup. I've also heard it introduced lag for certain hardware/application for accessibility community. And, there's nothing new-timer about the lack of the port.

Well, I wasn't against Touch ID. I looked forward to being able to get it, and immediately recognized the usability gain. I *might* (I can't recall) have been initially skeptical if it would work as well as it did. And, I've not doubt Face ID will work quite well... that's not the reason I'm opposed to it (or, better, the shift to it). Touch ID is superior UX for more situations I can think of.

And, again, Apple isn't doomed because of one bad decision. But, if they continue to prioritize $ over UX, they will be. When Apple degrades to Dell's level, then yes, I'll probably buy a Dell. Just because I'm unhappy with Apple degrading, doesn't mean they still aren't better than Dell.
  • Reply 55 of 64
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    I think Face ID actually makes a lot more sense on Macs then on the phone, because the touch ID sensor would always have to be on a peripheral - except on laptops of course - but even there I would rather have it scan my face. I rarely need to unlock my computer or authorize something without looking at my screen. Makes much more sense there.
    That may be part of their thinking. If we consider how Touch ID works on the MacBoo Pro we have a keyboard key for Touch ID that has to authenticate with the T1 chip which contains the secure enclave for Touch ID (and the secure element for Apple Pay).

In a laptop this is fine because the keyboard is part of the entire machine, but in an iMac this gets more tricky as you have to build this into a Bluetooth keyboard. With Face ID you can keep the secure enclave (and secure element for Apple Pay) in the iMac

This, again, more tricky when you have an attached monitor for a Mac Pro, Mac mini, or just an external monitor for a Mac, but at least it's still a cabled connection so the security considerations may not be as great as pushing this over wireless connections. That said, they've already had Apple Pay from the desktop Safari browser through iCloud to an iPhone or Apple Watch that supports the service for two major macOS versions so that might not be that much of a consideration after all; at least not for an infrequnt one-time payment. Still, I do think Face ID makes a lot of sense on an iMac over Touch ID on a Bluetooth keyboard.

I think FaceID is likely to find its way into the desktop line up in the near future. In the iMac, it's relatively easy to implement, simply add the TrueDepth camera etc alongside the Facetime camera. On the mini and the Pro, as you say, it becomes problematic.

The easy solution is the return of the Apple Cinema Display. Apple starts selling its own branded monitors again, with a TrueDepth camera, and a wired connection to the CPU and Secure Enclave. Of course, Apple displays are pretty expensive, so this would leave some users, especially of the Mac mini, without it.

An approach to deal with that would be to include the TrueDepth camera in the box, rather than the monitor. This doesn't necessarily need to be mounted in the same position as the FaceTime camera (or, for people who use a Mac mini with a third party monitor, their web cam). It does. however, need to be mounted somewhere it can scan the user's face. No luck mounting your cpu out the back or under the desk.

The other, arguably more sensible approach, is for Apple to start selling the FaceTime camera again. That would also, potentially, enable users of earlier models to take advantage (depending on the location of the Secure Enclave - I'm not sure what the benefits of having it in the camera as opposed to in the box are).

As for the phone, my personal preference would be to keep the TouchID sensor where possible, and maybe have both in the phone. It can't hurt. The "prediction" that it will get into all models of phone next year is kind of a safe bet, but I find TouchID to be amazingly convenient in a way I'm not sure FaceID can be.

• Reply 56 of 64
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    designr said:
    There were many times that Face ID makes more sense that Touch ID. Have you ever cook in the kitchen by using iPhone as timer and recipe book? How many times you have to wash your hand and wipe it dry to unlock your phone in such situation. How about a surgeon who wear glove, how many times they need to remove their glove to unlock the phone? How about swimmer? How about when it's raining? How about when you are fixing a car and both your hand are dirty with dirts and oils? How about...

There were many times that Face ID makes more sense that Touch ID.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    kevin kee said:
    designr said:
    There were many times that Face ID makes more sense that Touch ID. Have you ever cook in the kitchen by using iPhone as timer and recipe book? How many times you have to wash your hand and wipe it dry to unlock your phone in such situation. How about a surgeon who wear glove, how many times they need to remove their glove to unlock the phone? How about swimmer? How about when it's raining? How about when you are fixing a car and both your hand are dirty with dirts and oils? How about...

There were many times that Face ID makes more sense that Touch ID.

While some of those examples are valid, I don't think a surgeon should be stopping in the middle of an operation to do anything on their phone. They should neither be answering calls, nor looking up procedures online.

That said, while the others are kind of valid, there is a process for unlocking the phone if you're not able to get TouchID to work, and that is to use the passcode. Although if your hands are filthy, you may not want to touch your screen. Or your phone at all, which kind of brings into question how you activate FaceID without getting dirt on it, let alone do anything afterwards.

I see FaceID as having uses. I've mentioned before some people may have difficulty with TouchID due to problems with their hands. I also see TouchID as still being useful in conjunction with FaceID, and I kind of hope they solve the under screen sensor problem, and implement both of them on next year's phones.

• Reply 58 of 64
    The customer should have the choice of touch or face ID. Samsung's Note 8 provides the customer with 3 biometric sensors, fingerprint, iris and facial. Apple always takes choices away from the customer and increases their prices because its "new" technology which is not really new. Apple is greedy. I am disappointed with Apple. 
  • Reply 59 of 64
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    The customer should have the choice of touch or face ID. Samsung's Note 8 provides the customer with 3 biometric sensors, fingerprint, iris and facial. Apple always takes choices away from the customer and increases their prices because its "new" technology which is not really new. Apple is greedy. I am disappointed with Apple. 
    You do have a choice.
  • Reply 60 of 64
    I now have a headache from rolling my eyes so hard.  Thanks.