iOS 11 lets you turn off iPhone or iPad without the power button

Posted:
in iPhone
Among the lesser known features included in Apple's latest iOS 11 is a new software function that lets users turn off their device without touching a physical button, handy in the case of random hardware failures and other glitches.

While not the most useful feature, a software-based shutdown option is a welcome addition to Apple's mobile operating system.

Since the inception of iOS, users have been forced to rely on an iPhone or iPad's power button, referred to by Apple as the sleep/wake, to initiate the shutdown sequence. A long press and hold gesture is normally used to bring up the power off screen, though other methods can be used in emergency situations.

For example, simultaneously pressing and holding the sleep/wake and home button -- on iPhone models without force sensitive home buttons -- will reset the device.

On iPhone 7, Apple introduced a static, non-moving home button that use force-sensing components to work, similar in function to 3D Touch displays. Without a mechanical home button, Apple changed the reset procedure to incorporate the volume down button, meaning users simply had to squeeze both sides of their handset to force restart.

Until now, Apple's shutdown and reset methods relied on mechanical buttons, but iOS 11 brings a new software option into play. This can be especially useful if an iPhone or iPad's sleep/wake, home or volume button is broken or otherwise inoperable. Additionally, the function might serve as an accessibility feature for users who are unable to grasp their device or operate physical buttons.

Here's how to do it:

Step 1. Navigate to the Settings app.

Step 2. Tap on General and scroll down to the bottom of the menu.

Step 3. Tap on the Shut Down option highlighted in blue font. The usual iOS shutdown screen will immediately appear.

Step 4. Slide the large power button to the right along the slide to power off track to shut down your device. Alternatively, you can cancel the action by pressing the X button at the bottom of the screen.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I wish they had password protected shut down. My iPhone 5 was stolen years ago by a guy who just immediately powered it off so I couldn’t track him. If the iPhone had password protected shut down I would have nailed him before he left the area because I could track him with my wife’s phone. 
    toysandmecornchipbloodshotrollin'redslprescottmacguijz1492douglas baileyGeorgeBMacbdkennedy1002anton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 28
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,418member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I wish they had password protected shut down. My iPhone 5 was stolen years ago by a guy who just immediately powered it off so I couldn’t track him. If the iPhone had password protected shut down I would have nailed him before he left the area because I could track him with my wife’s phone. 
    I didn't think of that, yeah. It would be nice.
    toysandmebloodshotrollin'red
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Previously , before iOS 11, if you had the home button on assistive touch- a long press on the home button(on assistive touch) will bring up the slide to power off option.
    cornchipGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 4 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I've run that idea over this forum since Find My iPhone was launched.The problem is that you still need to be able to force a power cycle since SW may require a power cycle without waiting for the battery die. My solution is that if the power is cut with the long-holds on the two buttons that it doesn't turn off, but restarts (which isn't different from how it acts when the battery dies and you plug it in which causes an auto-boot). If you want to get a shutdown you then have to input the passcode.
    retrogustoGeorgeBMacicoco3lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 28
    fmalloyfmalloy Posts: 105member
    Magical. 

Years of research, I’m sure, was responsible for this. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 6 of 28
    So you shut down your phone using software because the sleep/wake button is defective... how do you turn it back on? Doesn't seem like a particularly useful feature at all
    douglas baileyGeorgeBMacicoco3lolliverbaconstang
  • Reply 7 of 28
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member
    It powers up upon application of power.  
    douglas bailey
  • Reply 8 of 28
    How about enabling iPhone to be shut down with Apple Watch or another device that shares the same iCloud account.
  • Reply 9 of 28
    How about enabling iPhone to be shut down with Apple Watch or another device that shares the same iCloud account.
    I recall a few apps which allow remote control of an i-device via your Mac. Not sure about i-i-device apps, though. I cannot remember what they were/are called. Someone here may use just such an app and provide a URL.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 10 of 28
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This feature is better than nothing. But, the most useful feature, a software-based Sleep/Wake mode. In "other"(axxxxd) phones, 2 tap on screen or similar screen interaction puts phone into sleep mode. If implemented in iPhone, it reduces wear and tear on mechanical buttons reducing possible early failures. This helps Apple to reduce repair cost for iphones under warranty and consumers not having failed buttons when the iphone is out of warranty, extends mechanical buttons usage before failure. My daughter's iPhone had failed power button twice because she constantly uses it to put the iPhone in sleep, screen off mode.There is no other way to do unless wait for screen off timer to kick-in. I am sure every iPhone users had similar power button failure problem one or other time.
    edited October 2017 jony0
  • Reply 11 of 28
    I believe this capability was added to move future iOS devices away from having a power button at all.  Gestures will eventually control all aspects of the experience.  Not judging the efficacy of this experience, just stating how I believe this company’s leadership thinks.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 12 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    wood1208 said:
    I am sure every iPhone users had similar power button failure problem one or other time.
    I must be one in hundreds of millions then.
    netmagedouglas baileybaconstang
  • Reply 13 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,357member
    jd_in_sb said:
    I like that idea. I've made CC inaccessible from the lock screen so that someone couldn't use AirPlane mode to hide my phone, if stolen.

But they could just simply power it off, though it would take a little longer. Password protected Shutdown would be a good thing.
    bb-15GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 14 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,921member
    iamfawaz said:
    Previously , before iOS 11, if you had the home button on assistive touch- a long press on the home button(on assistive touch) will bring up the slide to power off option.
    This - my daughter used this for a year after she got her old 4s wet and the home button stopped working. The feature has been available for several years, just in a different form.
    wood1208 said:
    This feature is better than nothing. But, the most useful feature, a software-based Sleep/Wake mode. In "other"(axxxxd) phones, 2 tap on screen or similar screen interaction puts phone into sleep mode. If implemented in iPhone, it reduces wear and tear on mechanical buttons reducing possible early failures. This helps Apple to reduce repair cost for iphones under warranty and consumers not having failed buttons when the iphone is out of warranty, extends mechanical buttons usage before failure. My daughter's iPhone had failed power button twice because she constantly uses it to put the iPhone in sleep, screen off mode.There is no other way to do unless wait for screen off timer to kick-in. I am sure every iPhone users had similar power button failure problem one or other time.
    Our family has had at least 14 devices dating back to my original 3GS and not a single one of them has had a button fail (with the exception mentioned above,) nor have I had any friends, coworkers or acquaintances with issues. While I can't say it never happens, the empirical evidence is that it's quite rare.
    netmageStrangeDaysbaconstangjony0
  • Reply 15 of 28
    wood1208 said:
    This feature is better than nothing.
    Only if HW shutdowns weren't possible, which can happen when you have physical buttons that no longer work. To have this for a security measure is like locking a hard to reach window but leaving your front door unlocked.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    Long before the Apple Watch existed I also suggested a feature for a wearable would be to lock your device once it falls out of range (unless within certain geofences, like your home). Not only would have this your iPhone go into auto-protect mode if, say, it's stolen on a subway right as the doors close, but also if you leave your Mac and forget to lock it. Even after all these years they've only ever added auto-unlock for the Mac with the Apple Watch.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    It would be nice if this could be added to Control Center.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    gameboy70 said:
    It would be nice if this could be added to Control Center.
    Why is anyone shutting down their iDevice so often that they need it to be in Control Center?
    netmageStrangeDaysdouglas baileyanton zuykovbaconstang
  • Reply 19 of 28
    wood1208 said:
    This feature is better than nothing. But, the most useful feature, a software-based Sleep/Wake mode...I am sure every iPhone users had similar power button failure problem one or other time.
    There *is* a software-based substitute for the Sleep/Wake button.  Check it out at: Settings> General>Accessibility>AssistiveTouch.  It's not that well-known in the U.S. but it's very popular in Asia.  I once read that a huge percentage (>50%) of iPhone-owners in Asia use this feature, specifically to avoid over-use of mechanical buttons, which *will* break eventually.  Mine did.  In the U.S., I think a lot of people replace their phone before the buttons are likely to malfunction.  
    GG1jony0
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Clickbait websites will roll over each other explaining the mess myriad of gestures, shortcuts, removed button sequences, substitutes, abbreviated clickholds, 3Dtouch options, non-deactivating network deactivators etc. etc.
    PLEASE STOP THIS CRAZE !!!
    I am gazed at (and sick of) all UI inconsequences and assorted nonnovation.
    Bye.
    edited October 2017