First shipment of Apple's iPhone X limited to just 46,500 units

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple's main assembly partner, Foxconn, recently sent out its first shipment of the iPhone X -- but that batch included just 46,500 units, according to one report.

The units traveled from Zhengzhou and Shanghai to the Netherlands and the United Arab Emirates, said China's Xinhuanet.com, quoted by DigiTimes. Both of those countries are among the 50-plus markets where Apple will launch the iPhone X on Nov. 3.

Foxconn has allegedly ramped up its production from 100,000 units per week to 400,000, but that number is unlikely to match demand even with the phone's $999 pricetag. Sales of the iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have been softer than past iPhone launches, likely because the people who can afford an X are waiting to buy one or at least see reviews. Preorders start on Oct. 27.

A string of reports have indicated that the main production obstacle is the TrueDepth camera, which handles tasks like Face ID and animoji. Most recently Nikkei narrowed the issue down to the dot projector, which casts over 30,000 points of light on a person's face in order to generate a depth map.

Analyst forecasts have called for iPhone X shipments to slot between 30 million and 36 million in 2017, and hinted that supply won't match demand until sometime next year. That could translate into weeks- or months-long shipping delays within minutes of preorders starting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    Ack! Looking forward to replacing a 5S and a 5c with an X and SE, respectively. Bah! Bah, I type!

Ohs well. It'll arrive when it arrives, I reckon.
    jahbladeRacerhomieX
  • Reply 2 of 22
    what a strange headline, those are shipments to a limited region, not worldwide number or even US numbers.
    radarthekatrussw
  • Reply 3 of 22
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    How many are thinking:

cyberzombiepeterhartnetmageericthehalfbeeSolijahblademwhitemacxpresswlymRacerhomieX
  • Reply 4 of 22
    JanNLJanNL Posts: 327member
    alandail said:
    what a strange headline, those are shipments to a limited region, not worldwide number or even US numbers.
    Strange? It says the "first shipment".
  • Reply 5 of 22
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    But hides, until near the end of the article, key information of concern to anyone who would be interested in the subject; that being the production rate, which at 400,000/week is a lot less concerning than a first shipment of “just 46,500 units” communicates.  
    rob53alandailtmayGG1russwpscooter63
  • Reply 6 of 22
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    But hides, until near the end of the article, key information of concern to anyone who would be interested in the subject; that being the production rate, which at 400,000/week is a lot less concerning than a first shipment of “just 46,500 units” communicates.  
    I agree, which brings up the question about clickbait and why AI is pushing out a headline that doesn't really mean much except to other websites and analysts who won't bother reading the entire article. Of course we're talking about DigiTimes and Xinhuanet.com not necessarily real production numbers.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Yeah right. Bologna or hogwash...whichever you prefer.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    How the hell does someone know exactly how many were shipped? This is just pure BS to me and it makes no sense from the article from last week about the production amounts. We also don't know where these supposed 46,500 units are going. Maybe they're just going to Apple stores and other retail places as demo units. Maybe they're going to employees...maybe both! Who knows! 

All this report does is create FUD about the amount of iPhone X's Apple will have in stock. 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 9 of 22
    rob53 said:
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    I agree, which brings up the question about clickbait and why AI is pushing out a headline that doesn't really mean much except to other websites and analysts who won't bother reading the entire article. Of course we're talking about DigiTimes and Xinhuanet.com not necessarily real production numbers.
    It’s too early for you to be so annoying
  • Reply 10 of 22
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    Strange because it's designed to mislead, alarm, and generate clicks rather than inform.  The title is a continuation of the narrative that iPhone X is severely constrained.  But then you read and see that it's only talking about 2 small countries, who's combined population is just 26 million people.

A far better title would tie the word limited to countries instead of units.  First day orders of new apple products are generally shipped directly to customers from China.  I'm certain they have a heck of a lot more than 45k units boxed and ready to ship.
    StrangeDayspatchythepiratewlym
  • Reply 11 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    rob53 said:
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    How is his take annoying? Your post, which offers nothing of value on the topic, is far more annoying.

Rob's point and question is fair, this seems like an empty FUD headline. A non-clickbait headline would have cited First "regional" shipment, etc.. This one seems designed to mislead RSS feeders into believing there are only 46,000 units for everyone at launch. It's unnecessarily vague.
    edited October 2017 radarthekatcalirob53
  • Reply 12 of 22
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    This kind of AI click-bait really irritates me.  Sure, AI will just claim that they are simply reporting what is being written in the rumor-mill and there is nothing misleading about it.  Heck, they'll probably tell us that we're not being forced to read it.

What sites like AI will not admit to is that while the headline is technically true, it's prominent placing and the upcoming release of the iPX is meant to give the impression that there is a major problem with the number of units being manufactured and creating fear/concern.  Baiting for the sake of clicks.  

AI might as well report how many units are being delivered to Chicken, Alaska as that has about the same weight as this headline in reality.  Nothing.
    StrangeDaysmacplusplus
  • Reply 13 of 22
    steven n. said:
    How many are thinking:

They're all so gullable !
    king editor the gratedws-2russw
  • Reply 14 of 22
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Pertinent comment from another thread:

regurgitatedcoprolite said:
    Fully strapped in and waiting for the fun to begin !

;)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 22
    Why is this headline written as though this is fact and as though this applies to every market where the X will be on sale? smh
    StrangeDayscali
  • Reply 16 of 22
    There's been a lot of bleating about the 1,000 price. I figure, I paid 1,500 for iMac graphite in early 2000; 1,500 for iMac in 2004; and $1,200 for mid-2009 MacBook Pro. (Got free late 2006 iMac via AppleCare when the G5 sustained a half dozen critical failures.)

Since then, I've gotten my home computing done on the MacBook Pro, two iPads, and iPhone 5 and 5S. Inflation has occurred since then, and now I can buy a pocket stuporcomputer for less jack than those desk/laptops. Quite a bargain, I'd type. (Although I may just still be rationalizing my iPhone X extravagance.)
    edited October 2017 cali
  • Reply 17 of 22
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    rob53 said:
    JanNL said:
    alandail said:
    That’s Rob53 not Sog35. 
  • Reply 18 of 22
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Same old spiel. Apple announces awesome product. People demand product. Journalists claim Apple is missing the mark with production. Launch day reveals massive success. Shipping times escalate to months. Naysayer claims Apple is doomed. Word gets out about how awesome the product is. Real people don't care how long it takes to receive a revolutionary product. Apple makes billions. Rinse and repeat.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 19 of 22
    snookiesnookie Posts: 139member
    This is rumor and Digitimes is wrong more often than they are right but that doesn't stop Apple Insider from posting a link bait article.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mykemmykem Posts: 33member
    I'm thinking this first batch is probably either more test units or store demo units intended for the European and Mid East market/stores.