Sylvania intros Apple HomeKit-compatible Soft White bulb & Full Color Indoor Flex Strip

Posted:
in iPhone
LEDVANCE's Sylvania brand on Monday announced two new Smart+ lights supporting HomeKit: the Soft White A19 bulb, and the Full Color Indoor Flex Strip.

The Soft White bulb fits in any conventional A19 lamp socket, and like many smartbulbs is dimmable and rated at 800 lumens. It can't change color, however.

The Flex Strip is rated at just 400 lumens, but includes three sections measuring 6 feet combined, and is simply intended to be accent lighting for walls, cabinets, shelves, or other furniture. Its color range extends from 1,900 to 6,500K.

Both accessories will work without a hub, but remote access and automation does require one in the form of an Apple TV, iPad, or HomePod.

The Soft White A19 costs $25.99, and is shipping Oct. 23. The Flex Strip is due the same day for $59.99.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,839member
    800 lumens = 60w bulb. Too dim, and at such a low brightness its dimming ability doesn't mean much. I don't understand why we aren't seeing bright smart bulbs yet. (There are some adequately bright normal LED bulbs but no automation support)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    800 lumens = 60w bulb. Too dim, and at such a low brightness its dimming ability doesn't mean much. I don't understand why we aren't seeing bright smart bulbs yet. (There are some adequately bright normal LED bulbs but no automation support)
    Some higher-end LIFX bulbs pass the 800 lumen mark, at least.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,839member
    Some higher-end LIFX bulbs pass the 800 lumen mark, at least.
    It’s a start. I still use the Switch 100, which is an adequate 1600 lumens (akin to 100w incandescent), got it years ago.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Man, $25.99 for a single bulb? Too much for my blood. I really want to start adding lights to my smart home set up (currently consisting of a thermostat, door lock, & ceiling fan) but can’t find the right product. Either they required a hub, which I don’t want, or they are too costly. Sweet spot would be like $15 a bulb. Doesn’t need to be color changing. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    supadav03 said:
    Man, $25.99 for a single bulb? Too much for my blood. I really want to start adding lights to my smart home set up (currently consisting of a thermostat, door lock, & ceiling fan) but can’t find the right product. Either they required a hub, which I don’t want, or they are too costly. Sweet spot would be like $15 a bulb. Doesn’t need to be color changing. 
    I would recommend in looking into the Leviton Decora Smart Switch ($40-$50)or the Elgato Eve light switch ($49).  Then buy some good brand LED lights.  All of my lights are normal LED lights and every single switch in my home are either Elgato Eve Switch, Lutron Caseta, iDevices Light switch and Koogeek Light switch.
    lolliver
  • Reply 6 of 6
    BinhM3 said:
    supadav03 said:
    I would recommend in looking into the Leviton Decora Smart Switch ($40-$50)or the Elgato Eve light switch ($49).  Then buy some good brand LED lights.  All of my lights are normal LED lights and every single switch in my home are either Elgato Eve Switch, Lutron Caseta, iDevices Light switch and Koogeek Light switch.

I agree. Light switches rather than smart bulbs is definitely the way to go. Just wish someone would release a smart switch for the Australian market but at this stage I just don't think the market is big enough to warrant the investment here.