Supply chain claims Apple's iPhone X part bottleneck woes will be resolved before Christma...

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
A new supply chain report suggests that the chokepoints on iPhone X manufacturing are loosening, and shipments from assemblers may meet demand before the holiday season concludes.

Contradicting earlier supply chain reports, DigiTimes claims that chip vendors "were not aware" of any production delays or shipment cutbacks. The same reports claim that chip deliveries for the iPhone X have been on schedule, with the supply chain needs for components sated before the holiday season.

Tuesday's report claims that shipments of the iPhone X will "grow substantially" after October -- which it would have to, to have any availability in November, if previous reports are accurate.

However, the report also claims that the iPhone X won't reach equilibrium of supply and demand until the first quarter of 2018. Should the new predicted schedule hold, that would mean that there is sufficient supply of the device at about the same time as the iPhone 7 Plus did.

Many of the earlier reports of constrained component supply, including one from Monday, came from DigiTimes itself, so it is not clear where the new, or refined, information is coming from. DigiTimes has an unreliable track record in predicting Apple's future product plans, but does occasionally provide accurate information from Apple's supply chain.

Apple's iPhone X debuted on Sept. 12 and has a 5.8-inch Super Retina OLED display, the A11 Bionic processor, a 3D-sensing TrueDepth camera at the core of the Face ID technology. The device ships Nov. 3, and starts at $999 without any promotions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    This is probably a good time for Appleinsider to revisit some of the dire predictions made at the introduction of iPhone, you know ones like 'they think they're going to just waltz in and compete with the experts who have been building phones for decades' and so forth. 
    xzubdkennedy1002unphocussdw2001
  • Reply 2 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This is probably a good time for Appleinsider to revisit some of the dire predictions made at the introduction of iPhone, you know ones like 'they think they're going to just waltz in and compete with the experts who have been building phones for decades' and so forth. 
    They did an "anniversary" article here several months ago IIRC. Someone will probably link it for you. 
  • Reply 3 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    iPhone X is delayed, iPhone X is not delayed, iPhone X is delayed, iPhone X is not delayed... and the beat goes on. Let’s dance!
    cali
  • Reply 4 of 16
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    translation:
    We closed out our short position and are now long.
    lkrupphubbaxmacseekerRonnnieOleeeh2anton zuykovpatchythepiratestarwars
  • Reply 5 of 16
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    check out Mike's podcast, Space Javelin...it's a great listen, especially this time of year.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 6 of 16
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Turns out that the chip shortage in New Zealand was bogus as well...

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/97924440/potato-chip-supplies-not-affected-by-potato-shortage
    Solicali
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Everyone will know better within just a few more days. If 30 minutes after preorders go live there are still  a few X's available then these reports of extreme shortages are bogus. If two minutes after they go live they're already out of stock and ship dates are a month or more out then IMO the component delay rumors may well have some truth to them. Simple enough. 

But none of this matters really. Either Apple will have 'em or they won't.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    gatorguy said:
    Everyone will know better within just a few more days. If 30 minutes after preorders go live there are still  a few X's available then these reports of extreme shortages are bogus. If two minutes after they go live they're already out of stock and ship dates are a month or more out then IMO the component delay rumors may well have some truth to them. Simple enough. 

I wouldn’t judge shortage by that. Sold out in 2 minutes could also mean very good sales which I’m predicting. 
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    lkrupp said:
    iPhone X is delayed, iPhone X is not delayed, iPhone X is delayed, iPhone X is not delayed... and the beat goes on. Let’s dance!
    Same story every year. Market manipulation, nothing more.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    It's a miracle!  Supply is going to be OK!

We go through this every year, including the launch of the poorly received iPhone 6S.  Early adopter demand always exceeds initial supply.  Except for the 6S year, equilibrium isn't achieved until very late in the December quarter, sometimes not until the March quarter.

Frankly, (I believe all these supply constraint rumors were BS of the highest order) I'm hoping delivery is 2 - 3 weeks on Black Friday.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    New designs always has some sort of technical challenges and expected to cause some production delays; and as the manufacturer learns, the production process improves. I thought that’s a given even with just half a brain like myself. 
    gregg thurman
  • Reply 12 of 16
    cali said:
    gatorguy said:

I wouldn’t judge shortage by that. Sold out in 2 minutes could also mean very good sales which I’m predicting. 
    Even Apple couldn't process and accept a million orders in under two minutes could they? 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    jkichline said:
    lkrupp said:
    Same story every year. Market manipulation, nothing more.
    Jim Cramer is crazy but he’s a hoot too. He says when a stock jumps unexpectedly the analysts start inventing reasons why it did. Bring out the charts, the trends, the Magic Eight Ball!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    Even Apple couldn't process and accept a million orders in under two minutes could they? 
    I would imagine that orders hitting Apple's order processing centers would sit in queue until a portal opened.  It all depends on how many portals Apple has available and the time required to process each order.  I see a lot of spinning balls in iPhone X buyers future.  One million transactions in 2 minutes?  That's damn aggressive.

The real limiting factor may be in Visa/MasterCard's ability to process that many simultaneous charge requests.  I have no idea what their break point is.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Delays? Define delays.  Supply will not meet demand for several months.  It's going to be very difficult to get an X prior to at least February, I think.  Even then stock is going to vary a lot.  The iPhone 6 was like this, and it seems to me that the X is going to blow it out of the water demand and hype-wise.  I'm planning on upgrading my 7+ sometime in Feb or March.  
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Can't make enough to meet demand? Profit shortfall: DOOMED.

Made enough to cover demand? Demand must be soft: DOOMED.
    tycho_macuser