Apple TV gets new universal search options in US, Canada, many other countries

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Apple has significantly expanded the universal search options present on the Apple TV and Apple TV 4K, improving coverage in the U.S., Canada, Australia, and elsewhere.

In the U.S., searching for movie and TV show titles will now yield results from Classix, Oxygen, and BBC America, as long as those apps are installed. New Canadian listings include Classix, Treehouse, FXNOW Canada, ICI Tou.tv, and most significantly CBC TV, the country's national broadcaster.

Australians will see results for 9Now, SBS, and Tenplay. In Norway and Sweden, Viaplay has been added.

Apple has also expanded the number of countries with Apple Music search beyond the U.S., covering Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, and the U.K.

The company has sometimes drawn fire for favoring the U.S. in Apple TV improvements. In terms of universal search, the U.S. is still vastly better supported than any other country.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    Adding support for Plex would be a game changer.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I'd settle for being able to search my own content!
    [Deleted User]jony0
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Ditto!  Can not believe it can't search content from home sharing :(

• Reply 4 of 7
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    let’s say you have a bunch of various .avi movie files in your home library — who enters all the meta tags for them for the universal search to read? you’d have to manually go thru every one of your movies and input the cast, director, genre, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    let’s say you have a bunch of various .avi movie files in your home library — who enters all the meta tags for them for the universal search to read? you’d have to manually go thru every one of your movies and input the cast, director, genre, etc.
    Which DLNA app works with universal search? Doesn’t work with shared iTunes libraries for user-added media, does it?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    The Apple TV only looks at the iTunes library, so avi files are not in scope for it and only MP4/M4v/H2.6[45] which can all be tagged appropriately within iTunes or with external MP4 tagging programs.

I'd be more than happy for Apple TV home sharing search to look at the tags I have in my movies/TV shows and use them and not use the names of the files.  Automatic tagging of MP4 files before adding into iTunes is relatively easy, so it could cache them locally and then just perform a search based on the contents of those.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    those of us with OCD.