Apple Music snags Major Lazer concert documentary "Give Me Future"

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2017
In March 2016, Barack Obama became the first U.S. President to visit Cuba in 88 years, marking an easing of political tension between the world power and the small island republic. That same month, electronic music group Major Lazer self funded the first major Cuban-American concert in Havana, an event that drew nearly half a million attendees.

Major Lazer's historic experience, from planning to performance, was captured on film in the documentary "Give Me Future." The film, which debuted to praise at the Sundance Film Festival, will be available to stream on Apple Music on Nov. 17.

Apple Music teased the concert documentary release with a trailer this week. The film offers not only a behind-the-scenes look at the challenges Major Lazer had to overcome in arranging the event, but also insightful perspective into Cuba's current political climate.

Major Lazer's Diplo, Jillionaire and Walshy Fire act as the common hub of "Give Me Future," with interviews of contemporary Cuban artists and lovers of music interspersed throughout. The latter offer glimpses into the island's tumultuous past, but more importantly illustrate the ways in which music continues to be a driving force toward a hopeful future.

The film's title comes from an interview with a fan who provides poignant commentary on the Cuban state.

"I live in a city suspended in time -- slow paced," she says. "That's why I love electronic music. I don't feel so frozen in time. It gives me a future."

Major Lazer on Thursday announced "Major Lazer Presents: Give Me Future -- Music From and Inspired by the Film," an album featuring unreleased tracks from Diplo, Cuban artists and others set to debut in tandem with the film on Nov. 17.

"Give Me Future" is the latest in a string of Apple Music exclusives that bolster original content like "Carpool Karaoke" and "Planet of the Apps." Earlier this month the streaming service released "Clive Davis: The Soundtrack of Our Lives," and will next week debut "Bang! The Bert Berns Story" to subscribers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    Again... who?
    slprescottmike1anton zuykov
  • Reply 2 of 14
    Finally a documentary people might actually watch! Although, come to think of it, I don't think most highly active music consumers (ie young ppl) have the patience or desire to watch any kind of documentary, about anyone, so I'm not sure why Apple is dedicating so many any resources on these things.

I feel like I've been more than patient with Apple Music, but the curation just keeps getting worse. I can't stand 90% of the songs in my "New Music Mix" playlist (which almost completely lacks any fucking connection to the vast majority of my saved music library), and even the "Favorites Mix" mixes are filled with songs that I rarely listen to and don't really like. (The "Chill Mix" is usually pretty good.) I can't be the only one experiencing this. It's become blatantly bad. Are there any other active Apple Music listeners here on AI that care to comment?

Two other, ongoing, inexcusable flaws:
    -Terrible social features, and lack thereof.
    -Terrible support for sub-genres.

Apple has been a music industry powerhouse/gateway for how long now? And they still can't get sub-genre support? Do people at Apple ever use Apple Music???

These are not even options or hyperbole on my part. These are painfully evident truths, and I'm about to give up hope and switch to another service as my primary (still keeping Apple Music for the convenience of integrating with Siri and for the fairly comprehensive music library).
  • Reply 3 of 14
    I feel like I've been more than patient with Apple Music, but the curation just keeps getting worse. I can't stand 90% of the songs in my "New Music Mix" playlist (which almost completely lacks any fucking connection to the vast majority of my saved music library), and even the "Favorites Mix" mixes are filled with songs that I rarely listen to and don't really like. (The "Chill Mix" is usually pretty good.) I can't be the only one experiencing this. It's become blatantly bad. Are there any other active Apple Music listeners here on AI that care to comment?
    Like you I usually did the “Chill Mix” fairly good. For me the “Favorites Mix” is usually spot on, even digging up songs I haven’t heard in a couple of years that I didn’t realize I missed. I gave the “New Music Mix” a try a couple of times but it’s mostly not for me. Also, it was screwed up for a couple of weeks after our babysitter listened to a bunch of country music while we were out. I started getting country songs in the “New Music Mix” and had to “Dislike” them. Since then it straightened out but was still a miss for me, in general. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    Like you I usually did the “Chill Mix” fairly good. For me the “Favorites Mix” is usually spot on, even digging up songs I haven’t heard in a couple of years that I didn’t realize I missed. I gave the “New Music Mix” a try a couple of times but it’s mostly not for me. Also, it was screwed up for a couple of weeks after our babysitter listened to a bunch of country music while we were out. I started getting country songs in the “New Music Mix” and had to “Dislike” them. Since then it straightened out but was still a miss for me, in general. 
    Thanks, it's interesting to hear someone else's experience with it. Favorites used to be spot on for me too, but the last two have been duds; maybe I shouldn't give up hope on that particular mix yet. Interesting to hear that Apple Music was so sensitive to changes in your music listening (unfortunate that it was country, lol). Apple Music doesn't seem to respond much to what I listen to or like or don't like. Very frustrating.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Finally a documentary people might actually watch! Although, come to think of it, I don't think most highly active music consumers (ie young ppl) have the patience or desire to watch any kind of documentary, about anyone, so I'm not sure why Apple is dedicating so many any resources on these things.

Apple has been a music industry powerhouse/gateway for how long now? And they still can't get sub-genre support? Do people at Apple ever use Apple Music???

These are not even options or hyperbole on my part. These are painfully evident truths, and I'm about to give up hope and switch to another service as my primary (still keeping Apple Music for the convenience of integrating with Siri and for the fairly comprehensive music library).
    I found Apple Music’s curation so on the mark that I was slightly spooked by it, especially given the varied range of music I listen to (I dunno, would that make curation easier?)  In fact, I discovered two tracks that have become a couple of all-time favourites. Your mileage may vary. 
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

Yeah, I get around that not allowing country music fans in my house. 
  • Reply 7 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

I found Apple Music’s curation so on the mark that I was slightly spooked by it, especially given the varied range of music I listen to (I dunno, would that make curation easier?)  In fact, I discovered two tracks that have become a couple of all-time favourites. Your mileage may vary. 
    Interesting, thanks. If you’re still following, what genres do you listen to? Mine main one is EDM, a surprisingly diverse and popular genre, but one that always seems absurdly deficient within Apple Music and iTunes, even though Jony Ive is a fan. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 8 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

Interesting, thanks. If you’re still following, what genres do you listen to? Mine main one is EDM, a surprisingly diverse and popular genre, but one that always seems absurdly deficient within Apple Music and iTunes, even though Jony Ive is a fan. 
    Just last week I was listening to “Favorites” and some Knife Party and Krewella were thrown in. I had to laugh, though, when a version of “Dare You” (Hardwell/Mathew Koma) that I had never heard came on. It was a slow version and...quiet. It made me realize how dumb the lyrics are. Typically when I listen to that song it’s the Cash Cash Remix, the one served up by Apple Music was nothing close, even though that remix is on Apple Music. 
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

That seems prudent. I didn’t realize the sitter listened to country “music”. Maybe, when interviewing new sitters I should have a questionnaire with asking only if they listen to country. That’ll narrow down the prospects quickly. 
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,283member
    Cuba is not a republic. It is a dictatorship.
    anton zuykovSpamSandwich
  • Reply 11 of 14
    Thanks, it's interesting to hear someone else's experience with it. Favorites used to be spot on for me too, but the last two have been duds; maybe I shouldn't give up hope on that particular mix yet. Interesting to hear that Apple Music was so sensitive to changes in your music listening (unfortunate that it was country, lol). Apple Music doesn't seem to respond much to what I listen to or like or don't like. Very frustrating.
    Also, I don’t know if this is coincidence or maybe I’m just believing something changed when nothing really did BUT I thought this really improved when I subscribed to iTunes Match.  That was about a month ago and it seemed like almost immediately Apple Music started surfacing better music for me.  Again, maybe I’m seeing something that isn’t there.
  • Reply 12 of 14
    Rayz2016 said:

Just last week I was listening to “Favorites” and some Knife Party and Krewella were thrown in. I had to laugh, though, when a version of “Dare You” (Hardwell/Mathew Koma) that I had never heard came on. It was a slow version and...quiet. It made me realize how dumb the lyrics are. Typically when I listen to that song it’s the Cash Cash Remix, the one served up by Apple Music was nothing close, even though that remix is on Apple Music. 
    I wish Apple would put some Knife Party in my Favorites mix. Now that you mention it, I've been having the same issue, lots of crappy versions/remixes of songs that I actually like; even versions I have never listened to before, but somehow ended up in Favorites. Pretty frustrating that Apple Music can't get such a basic concept right.
    Rayz2016 said:

That seems prudent. I didn’t realize the sitter listened to country “music”. Maybe, when interviewing new sitters I should have a questionnaire with asking only if they listen to country. That’ll narrow down the prospects quickly. 
    Lol.
  • Reply 13 of 14
    Also, I don’t know if this is coincidence or maybe I’m just believing something changed when nothing really did BUT I thought this really improved when I subscribed to iTunes Match.  That was about a month ago and it seemed like almost immediately Apple Music started surfacing better music for me.  Again, maybe I’m seeing something that isn’t there.
    I've been thinking of doing iTunes match, so that's good to know, thanks. The thing that's held me back is iTunes would put different versions of a track in an album. This seemed to happen more with Tiesto's old In Search of Sunrise Mixes, which, of course, completely messed up the transitions and flow.
  • Reply 14 of 14
    mike1 said:
    Cuba is not a republic. It is a dictatorship.
    Damn straight.