Apple urges iPhone Upgrade Program members to get 'head start' on iPhone X order process

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple is encouraging participants of its iPhone Upgrade Program to be prepared for the release of the iPhone X, inviting customers to go through a pre-approval process for the upgrade a few days before it ships on October 27.

The iPhone Upgrade Program website reveals it will be allowing customers enrolled in the scheme to go through the upgrading process from October 23 to October 26, in order to approve as many eligible customers as possible ahead of when the iPhone X will become available to purchase. A notice advises users to prepare for the pre-order via the Apple Store app to "speed through checkout" on Oct. 27.

The pre-approval process for the iPhone X echoes a similar notification sent out by email to customers a few days before the iPhone 8 shipped. Just as with the iPhone X, the iPhone 8 notification suggested customers got "all the prep work done" days before its release, and to use the Apple Store app to save time during the ordering process.

There was some concern about whether there would be a pre-prep process for iPhone Upgrade Program members for the iPhone X, partly due to the expected high popularity for the device, as well as supply chain and analyst reports suggesting there to be production bottlenecks. It has also been suggested Apple is stockpiling between 2 and 3 million units in preparation for launch to mitigate the bottlenecks.

Program participants can check through the iPhone Upgrade Program website for eligibility, after signing in with an Apple ID or entering the relevant details into the web-based form. The App Store iOS app may be a quicker and easier process, as it is capable of scanning the device's serial number and IMEI automatically.

Under the Upgrade Program, customers can switch to new models of iPhone every 12 months, complete with AppleCare+ coverage, at the cost of a monthly fee and device trade-ins. While the cost of a regular iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus is at least $34.50 and $39.50 respectively, the iPhone X will start from $49.91 per month for the 64GB model, rising to $56.16 per month for the 256GB version -- both including AppleCare.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    So what exactly are you supposed to do to get ready? The store app tells me I’m eligible but it doesn’t allow me to reserve anything. It asks which phone I would like and the X is grayed out with a note that says pre-order on 10.27.
  • Reply 2 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    So what exactly are you supposed to do to get ready? The store app tells me I’m eligible but it doesn’t allow me to reserve anything. It asks which phone I would like and the X is grayed out with a note that says pre-order on 10.27.
    Based on the article, I'd guess you have to wait until 23 Oct to start the iUP upgrade process.
    StrangeDays1STnTENDERBITSsiretman
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Whereas, if you paid off your phone in full last month, apparently you are no longer a member of the program and go to the back of the line. Upsetting. Unless it's possible to re-sign up on the 23rd. It's unclear.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Here’s a pile of money. Am I approved now?  /s
    RonnnieO
  • Reply 5 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lordpixel said:
    Whereas, if you paid off your phone in full last month, apparently you are no longer a member of the program and go to the back of the line. Upsetting. Unless it's possible to re-sign up on the 23rd. It's unclear.
    There is no line, other than the one that everybody is in.

AUP doesn't give head-of-the-line preorder privileges.
    SoliStrangeDays1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 6 of 20
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    lordpixel said:

And every time you get a new iPhone your old contact is closed out and a new one is opened, which requires a credit check, so those that have recently frozen their credit with the 3 major bureaus will need to consider that.

edit: I just called Citizen's One. It's Equifax.
    edited October 2017 1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 7 of 20
    So how does this effect someone who isn’t in the iPhone Upgrade Program, but wants to do it? I don’t want to spend an hour on release night getting my credit check approved for it and would love to be “pre-approved” for it. Does anybody know if this is available to customers not yet in the program? 
    dave marsh
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Soli said:
    Based on the article, I'd guess you have to wait until 23 Oct to start the iUP upgrade process.
    Ah yes, missed that part. Thanks.
    jfc1138
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Whereas, if you paid off your phone in full last month, apparently you are no longer a member of the program and go to the back of the line X-( Unless it's possible to re-sign up on the 23rd.
    lordpixel said:

Well, sure. I'll believe it that there is one line, but look at this language you used, based on Apple's:
    A notice advises users to prepare for the pre-order via the Apple Store app to "speed through checkout" on Oct. 27.
    To me that implies that if you're in the AUP you're going to be able to do pre-work on the 27th which gets you through checkout process faster on the 29th. Which means you have a better chance of completing your order faster and getting your phone weeks (or months) sooner. Minutes may matter a lot. if non-current AUP members _can_ do the same pre-work on the 27th, all is fair. But if we're unable to do that pre-work out, we're disadvantaged vs. those who can. So, I agree with you, it's not jumping the the line. But not clear that it will be fair.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    lordpixel said:
    Whereas, if you paid off your phone in full last month, apparently you are no longer a member of the program and go to the back of the line X-( Unless it's possible to re-sign up on the 23rd.
    lordpixel said:

Well, sure. I'll believe it that there is one line, but look at this language you used, based on Apple's:
    A notice advises users to prepare for the pre-order via the Apple Store app to "speed through checkout" on Oct. 27.
    To me that implies that if you're in the AUP you're going to be able to do pre-work on the 27th which gets you through checkout process faster on the 29th. Which means you have a better chance of completing your order faster and getting your phone weeks (or months) sooner. Minutes may matter a lot. if non-current AUP members _can_ do the same pre-work on the 27th, all is fair. But if we're unable to do that pre-work out, we're disadvantaged vs. those who can. So, I agree with you, it's not jumping the the line. But not clear that it will be fair.
    Nobody said anything about fair. There is nothing specifically fair about Apple 3AM pre-orders. Got a shaky connection? Hosed. Does the color and capacity you want still exist between the time you say add to cart, and checkout? If not - hosed.

If you fulfilled your AUP purchase, then you'll be able to do the pre-work on the 23rd. AUP pre-work like credit checks and whatnot can be done then, instead of in the Thunderdome on preorder day.
    Solimacsince1988
  • Reply 11 of 20
    I have been trying all morning to do the pre approval and so far unable to do it I also called the apple customer service and they told me that they have been receiving calls all morning regarding that same problem. Has anyone been able to do sign up 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I am probably having a similar issue, I am a part of thr upgrade program but never received an email about today.. when I log in to the store it does show that I am eligible for an upgrade but when I get to the part to select a device it only lets me select the 8 and the X is greyed out.
  • Reply 13 of 20
    I am probably having a similar issue, I am a part of thr upgrade program but never received an email about today.. when I log in to the store it does show that I am eligible for an upgrade but when I get to the part to select a device it only lets me select the 8 and the X is greyed out.
    Yeah, Mike, same for me.

I’m not really sure if there is an issue with the Apple Store app, if it’s something on Apple’s end or if I’m just not seeing something I’m supposed to.  The app tells me I’m upgrade eligible but under “Which iPhone would you like?” iPhone X is grayed out and says “Pre-order on 10.27”.  Just like it did 2 weeks ago.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    ditto.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 15 of 20
    To be fair, in the Apple Store app under iPhone Upgrade Program (abbreviated iUP, so the AUP abbreviation always confuses me) below the “Learn how to join” button is says, “Already a member? Starting 10.23, you  may be eligible to get a head start on your upgrade to iPhone X so you can speed through checkout on 10.27”.  (emphasis added)

I don’t know if that’s a change to the app or not, but the ‘may’ seems to be covering Apple in the event I can’t get anywhere, which I can’t.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Seems premature to get angry at an unsubstantiated rumor but that seems to be what this site is about.
    Soli
  • Reply 17 of 20
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Wait, who's getting angry? I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to streamline the purchase process.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    jeffdm said:
    Seems premature to get angry at an unsubstantiated rumor but that seems to be what this site is about.
    I don’t read any angry comments on this thread.  And it isn’t an unsubstantiated rumor, it’s on apple.com and in the Apple Store app.  The issue is that there doesn’t currently seem to be a way to follow through with what the website and app say is possible.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Yeah, Mike, same for me.

I’m not really sure if there is an issue with the Apple Store app, if it’s something on Apple’s end or if I’m just not seeing something I’m supposed to.  The app tells me I’m upgrade eligible but under “Which iPhone would you like?” iPhone X is grayed out and says “Pre-order on 10.27”.  Just like it did 2 weeks ago.
    I just chatted with Apple Customer Service. They said "Theres this small bug in the system thats not allowing us to get that pre approval done but don’t worry, the tech guys are working on it now. I recommend checking back in, in another 2 hours on that Apple App on the iPhone."
  • Reply 20 of 20
    kubeltime said:
    Yeah, Mike, same for me.

I just chatted with Apple Customer Service. They said "Theres this small bug in the system thats not allowing us to get that pre approval done but don’t worry, the tech guys are working on it now. I recommend checking back in, in another 2 hours on that Apple App on the iPhone."
    It’s working now.
    SoliStrangeDays