Apple exec Craig Federighi says no October event this year

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    k2kw said:
    I hope Siri works not just as a "musicologist"
    Google and Amazon have both announced new products (Home,mini Home, Echo Plus, Sonos One) and updated their software to recognize multiple, individuals.   The homepod looked real good last may but the bar keeps getting higher.
    As you said, those could be software/firmware updates. Nothing to cry about here.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    iMac Pro, Mac Pro just dont have an wide enough audience, I guess that is the problem.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    macapfel said:
    cali said:

Is it just me or is HomePod hype dying a little?
    It's not just you. It seems, the new Chicago store is getting more attention than the homepod. For an entirely new product category, and an entirely new use of Siri, this device receives surprisingly low attention. In particular given that Apple announced it just once, months ago, and only as 'Sneak Peak'. Sounded as if there was more to come. But apparently not. I'd love to see what I am buying. I was quite happy to buy one after the sneak peak, but now, without any further information or explanation of a unique selling point, I'm no longer sure.
    Yes, if only Apple would put together a slick webpage for it when it’s actually a product so you can decide whether it’s for you... Come on. 
    edited October 2017 Soli
  • Reply 24 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    ksec said:
    iMac Pro, Mac Pro just dont have an wide enough audience, I guess that is the problem.
    They really don't need to do a huge launch/keynote for each product, though. I think having a couple a year where they highlight hardware/software that's being announced or coming is plenty. And, for the last couple years, it's like 80% of the content is just filler fluff anyway. (It's like... oh, I just spent 2+ hours watching and basically you have an improved camera and newer, faster CPU.)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 25 of 31
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    wizard69 said:
    Very sad really.   For one the Mini hasnt been updated in years.  Both the Mini and the iMac are big Christmas sales and thus benefit from even minor refreshes.  You would think that Apple would want to prime people for the consumer sales season here and that would mean laptop updates too.  

Of course we still have November which effectively is another season.    It is probably a good time to launch HomePod and other new products.  
    Apple already updated all of the main Mac models to the latest hardware. Macbook, MBP and iMac were updated to Kaby Lake and AMD 500-series in June. Sometimes the iPads are updated in October/November but they were also updated earlier this year. They might be updated to A11(x) and Face ID early next year once the yield is sorted for the iPhone X.

iMac Pro was already announced and just needs to be shipped. Mac Pro update details haven't been announced and likely won't be until WWDC 2018 at the earliest.

The Mac mini is pretty much the only product that can feasibly be updated and hasn't been but it always gets neglected. They might update it when they ship their new pro Retina display.

There's nothing for them to talk about at an October event as there are no important updates for them to make. This news is being received as a negative but all the updates were early this year. 💃🏻😎😃👍🏻⛄️🍺🎉
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Perhaps the skipped October event is because Craig Federighi is still stinging from the last event, when the new iPhone X didn't recognize his face while demonstrating the new 3D facial recognition technology.

(I've read subsequently that it wasn't his fault... but wow.)

• Reply 27 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    stevenoz said:
    Perhaps the skipped October event is because Craig Federighi is still stinging from the last event, when the new iPhone X didn't recognize his face while demonstrating the new 3D facial recognition technology.

(I've read subsequently that it wasn't his fault... but wow.)
    You think Apple scraped an entire event and stopped the supply chain of components, killed Foxconn contracts, and decided to forego new sales of Macs that were ready to go this year because one iPhone X locked attempting to authenticate with an unfamiliar face 5x before Craig could pick it up? What a brilliant deduction¡
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 28 of 31
    The HomePod is an overpriced joke of a speaker.  Like the AppleTV4, Siri will not be able to access your local library of music.  It is limited to Apple Music only, which not many subscribe to compared to the number of iTunes accounts.  Siri cannot even create a playlist from your own library on the iPhone/iPad.  A ‘smart’ speaker that cannot even play your own music unless it is manually chosen using an app.  People can already do that using the Remote app through their existing stereo/home theater systems.  No one needs a smart speaker for that.  Even Amazon’s Alexa speaker won’t play your own local library of music. The new Sonos with Alexa won’t play your local music, and it won’t play any of its Internet connected services using voice commands.  Alexa will only play your Amazon Music account even though Sonos can access many more sources.  A tiny speaker doesn’t compare to a home theater system, which most people already have.  But people will buy it and then complain when they can’t access their own music with Siri.  
  • Reply 29 of 31
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    The HomePod is an overpriced joke of a speaker.  Like the AppleTV4, Siri will not be able to access your local library of music.  It is limited to Apple Music only, which not many subscribe to compared to the number of iTunes accounts.  Siri cannot even create a playlist from your own library on the iPhone/iPad.  A ‘smart’ speaker that cannot even play your own music unless it is manually chosen using an app.  People can already do that using the Remote app through their existing stereo/home theater systems.  No one needs a smart speaker for that.  Even Amazon’s Alexa speaker won’t play your own local library of music. The new Sonos with Alexa won’t play your local music, and it won’t play any of its Internet connected services using voice commands.  Alexa will only play your Amazon Music account even though Sonos can access many more sources.  A tiny speaker doesn’t compare to a home theater system, which most people already have.  But people will buy it and then complain when they can’t access their own music with Siri.  
    I agree it's a giant mess, and I think purposely so. The goal is to get us to buy (insert subscription service here) and just be happy with what they provide. That's why Apple messed up iTunes and removed the ability to have a central repository, but still pull a track locally to a device. And, unfortunately, I don't think most people even know what good sound quality is or care much anymore. So, a speaker sitting in a room that doesn't sound horrible is probably fine for most. And, even if people do have home-theaters... the sound-systems associated with those are usually so poor, they just add to this audio apathy.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    gctwnlgctwnl Posts: 278member
    That's it then, no new Mac mini ("important for Apple" — right) in 2017. And it'll probably appear alongside the new Mac PRO (whenever that happens, might be a year from now, but probably planned for WWDC).

Apple has left desktop users that do not want to use an iMac in the cold. Big time.
  • Reply 31 of 31
    bkkcanuck said:

Homepod cannot be in its death throes before it's official launch.  
    Microsoft were able to do that. On more than one occasion. 
    edited October 2017