New video catches Apple's iPhone X ahead of Nov. 3 release date

Posted:
in iPhone
A video uploaded on Saturday appears to show yet another iPhone X "in the wild," despite even preorders having to wait until next Friday.

In the 10-second clip, found on Reddit, a person shows off the back of a silver phone, unlocks it with a vertical swipe, then opens Instagram. While the hardware's authenticity can't be guaranteed and its provenance is unknown, it carries all of the design traits of the real iPhone X such as a glass back, a vertically-aligned rear camera, and a sensor notch interrupting an edge-to-edge display.

A number of iPhone X units have already been seen in the hands of Apple workers in San Francisco. Since the device was officially revealed last month, there may be no special reason to prevent staff from using it in public -- especially if they're conducting real-world testing that could result in later iOS updates.

The iPhone X is expected to be in very short supply when it arrives on Nov. 3, owing to production bottlenecks related to the TrueDepth camera used for Face ID and animoji. Indeed Apple COO Jeff Williams is expected to discuss the issue when he meets with Foxconn chairman Terry Gou later this month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    Poor video.  The person taking the video needs to see this:

StrangeDaysalanhcornchipmagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 30
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,163member
    Hmm, still trying to decide whether to get an X or an 8plus. 
    That notch is certainly...noticeable. And I didn't really like the look that much in this clip, all shiny and reflective. But I suppose the 8plus would look the same the way it has been filmed.

edit: on the matter of the glass back, it must be pretty strong, I recall when the 4 came out apart from the whole antenna gate meme, there were a lot of complaints about the glass back breaking.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 3 of 30
    entropys said:
    I recall when the 4 came out apart from the whole antenna gate meme, there were a lot of complaints about the glass back breaking.
    I had a 4 and a 4s and both were among my favorite iPhone designs. No problems with them whatsoever.
    cornchipStrangeDaysbb-15techprod1gypscooter63
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Yeah, I guess I meant to say there are no complaints about the glass back for the iPhone 8 that I have seen.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,948member
    entropys said:
    there were a lot of complaints about the glass back breaking.
    Which looked cool as shit when it did.

• Reply 6 of 30
    In the back glass you can see the reflection of the guy who posted the video. 

I wonder if he is going to catch heat. 

In another forum, somebody tracked him down and claimed to have been met with dickishness. 
    cali
  • Reply 7 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    In the back glass you can see the reflection of the guy who posted the video. 

I wonder if he is going to catch heat. 

In another forum, somebody tracked him down and claimed to have been met with dickishness. 
    Yeah idk why he let his reflection show. 
  • Reply 8 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member
    hmlongco said:
    entropys said:
    I recall when the 4 came out apart from the whole antenna gate meme, there were a lot of complaints about the glass back breaking.
    I had a 4 and a 4s and both were among my favorite iPhone designs. No problems with them whatsoever.
    Likewise. Plus replacing the back took about 10 seconds since it was the easiest DYI repair of all time. Two screws. 
    unphocusbb-15
  • Reply 9 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,871member

entropys said:

That notch is certainly...noticeable. 
    Keep in mind commenters on the thread said the Instagram app hadn’t been updated for the X with regards to the Safe Zone or whatever. 
    calitechprod1gy
  • Reply 10 of 30
    calicali Posts: 3,494member

entropys said:

Keep in mind commenters on the thread said the Instagram app hadn’t been updated for the X with regards to the Safe Zone or whatever. 
    We’ve had bezels for a decade and suddenly a tiny notch bothers us. 
    macxpressunphocusbb-15magman1979SnickersMagootechprod1gy
  • Reply 11 of 30
    I must admit he only thing about a bezel that concerns me is the overall size the phone ends up.  So the notch will be  spot of bother until apps are updated to address it, as this instagram example shows.

I think what I will do is get the X as soon as I can, then if I don't like it return it for an 8 plus.
    kingofsomewherehot
  • Reply 12 of 30
    aldrinjtauroaldrinjtauro Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    cali said:

entropys said:

Probably because they were symmetrical and not intrusive into content. 
  • Reply 13 of 30
    entropys said:
    I must admit he only thing about a bezel that concerns me is the overall size the phone ends up.  So the notch will be  spot of bother until apps are updated to address it, as this instagram example shows.

I think what I will do is get the X as soon as I can, then if I don't like it return it for an 8 plus.
    The notch does look intrusive. I'll end end up getting one, but I can't say I am blown away by its looks.

I am beginning to wonder if Apple may be at the end of the road in terms of the design/functionality of the iPhone form factor as we've known it for the past ten years.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    entropys said:

edit: on the matter of the glass back, it must be pretty strong, I recall when the 4 came out apart from the whole antenna gate meme, there were a lot of complaints about the glass back breaking.
    Yes glass breaks when you drop it on concrete. Are we now a society of buffoons who can't handle glass without breaking it. There are solutions but complaining that glass breaks is not one of them.
    edited October 2017 StrangeDays
  • Reply 15 of 30
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

entropys said:

The notch does look intrusive. I'll end end up getting one, but I can't say I am blown away by its looks.

I am beginning to wonder if Apple may be at the end of the road in terms of the design/functionality of the iPhone form factor as we've known it for the past ten years.
    cali said:

entropys said:

Probably because they were symmetrical and not intrusive into content. 
    The iPhone has never been symmetrical either vertically or horizontally. The "notch" is not intrusive in fact there is no notch. The screen is intrusive, it's intruding up into the bezel area, which means that you can now have status information there which means that that strip across your screen with status information does not need to be there any more. What you refer to as a 'notch' is in fact the phone itself, namely the sensor array. What appears to you as a notch is in fact what you get when you add two tangs from the screen to the bezel. It's not as if there was ever going to be screen there so it is not notched.

When you watch a movie it will by default fill the top and bottom first and fall well short of the bezel. If you have a very wide 1:2.39  movie then it will automatically size right up to the bottom of the bezel. You can still tap to enlarge if you want.
    edited October 2017 kingofsomewherehotStrangeDaysbb-15
  • Reply 16 of 30
    The iPhone has never been symmetrical either vertically or horizontally. 
    What on Earth are you saying? The content has been. If the iPhone is actually as Jony claims–hardware melting into the background to make people unconscious of everything but content–the last thing Apple would want is people being aware of the hardware, right?
    ...there is no notch. ...it is not notched.
    This sounds awfully doublespeaky.
    gatorguyentropysmagman1979
  • Reply 17 of 30
    I kind of like the notch “because I’m Batman.”

All kidding aside, if it bothers me, I can always sell it maybe for more than I paid for. 
  • Reply 18 of 30
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,110member
    I don’t have a particular problem with the notch, but the fact that the screen is now a funny shape (due to the notch as well as the curved corners) does seem kind of awkward. I don’t think content will ever be optimized for the curved-corner “U” shape, apart from maybe iOS. If you turn the screen to landscape position (sideways), it is not even symmetrical. A rectangular screen makes more sense to me, for reading or pictures or just about anything.

It’s also about 40% heavier than my iPhone 6, despite being only a few millimeters taller and wider, and about a millimeter thicker. 

I’m really curious to check this thing out in person. 

• Reply 19 of 30
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    entropys said:

The notch does look intrusive. 
    The notch does not look intrusive to me. 
    Since 1982 with the Lisa, Apple UI design has had a top menu/information bar on the home screen/page and in most software.
    That upper menu/information bar continued all the way to the current iOS. I'm looking at it now on my iPad. 
    * What the iPhone X does is split the information bar to the top corners.
    - Then iPhone X takes the middle area of the information bar (which would be used for showing the time) and put the front facing modules in that space.
    * Result with the iPhone X? Top information bar + front facing modules in the same space.
    As with current iOS, software usually would be below the top information bar. This is not changed with iPhone X.
    - The only serious complaint imo would be with full screen video. But with the iPhone X, 16:9 video can be shown with black bars side to side which leaves out the top information bar/front module area.

* So, I see no problem with the iPhone X UI.
    - What I do see is a large screen phone in a very compact design.
    - My next iPhone will have this X front design simply because it is efficient; it's physically a bit bigger than an iPhone 6/7/8 with a much larger screen. 
    edited October 2017 StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 20 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    I don’t have a particular problem with the notch, but the fact that the screen is now a funny shape (due to the notch as well as the curved corners) does seem kind of awkward. I don’t think content will ever be optimized for the curved-corner “U” shape, apart from maybe iOS. If you turn the screen to landscape position (sideways), it is not even symmetrical. A rectangular screen makes more sense to me, for reading or pictures or just about anything.

It’s also about 40% heavier than my iPhone 6, despite being only a few millimeters taller and wider, and about a millimeter thicker. 

I’m really curious to check this thing out in person. 

So, you'd prefer they fill out this corner like all other phone makers....
    It has more battery per space, so that explains the weight since battery weight a lot.
    The screen is bigger than your 6 in most uses too.

edited October 2017