Abuses of power?

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    markmark Posts: 143member
    Aw, shucks, Bogie - yougonnamakemeblush.

(Merci. )
  • Reply 22 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Jonathan, do you ever think that it's not worth the trouble to be an admin?

I don't know, with my caustic style, that I could ever hold any kind of responsibility because I would end up banning myself.

There is more power among the proles, Jonathan, remember that.

• Reply 23 of 32
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Jonathan, do you ever think that it's not worth the trouble to be an admin?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't know about Jonathan and his administrative position, but I know I sometimes feel that being a moderator isn't worth it. It's like I can't be myself because people are talking to me about slowing down the posting and stuff because I'm a moderator and how I represent AI, but I do like the job so I'm not ready to give it up (unless of course I have to).
  • Reply 24 of 32
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    It's a job with no pay, I don't get it.

The only attraction I see is having the power or a genuine desire to actually do *something* with the board (get rid of trolls or pursue some agenda or something).

Unencumbered, that's the way to be! Lose the lame titles and trappings of iPower and join the proletariat horde!

[edit]

If you don't like EmAn you'll find him annoying whether he is a moderator or a member or an administrator, I don't see how him being an avid poster is "bad for the administration."

You can go on other points, most likely, but I fail to see what's wrong with frequently posting, even if it is mainly superfluous.

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: groverat ]</p>
  • Reply 25 of 32
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>If you don't like EmAn you'll find him annoying whether he is a moderator or a member or an administrator, I don't see how him being an avid poster is "bad for the administration."

You can go on other points, most likely, but I fail to see what's wrong with frequently posting, even if it is mainly superfluous.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well now I am just a regular member so it doesn't matter what people thought of me as a moderator.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    odinn5odinn5 Posts: 107member
    I as not very happy to click a link posted by Jonathan in this forum.

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000167&p=4se"; target="_blank">http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=6&t=000167&p=4se</a>;

Why has it not been removed. I come to forums to have fun and see what is happening in the world of Apple and discuss the world in general. I started reading the posts for the AppleInsider Word Association Game. Where I found the link. I wanted to see what the link had in connection with the game. As soon as I realized what I was looking at I had to quickly close the window. I don't expect to see this in an innocent game of word association. I am not calling for blood but something should be done to remove the link.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I removed it earlier today. Sorry about that. =\\
  • Reply 28 of 32
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I think some mods are lock topic happy.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    This is pathetic. Since it would either be obvious and/or common knowledge, what would the point of Jonathan using a separate account for saying anything that isn't agreeable with public opinion? Moderator or not, it's still his account to post on this (cough) discussion board. As long as it doesn't get much ruder than "pathetic."

I'll tell you what is pathetic, though, somebody whining about somebody saying they're pathetic! Over at the wonderful OrangeInsider there is a moderator who in chat has called me an asshole, talks about members (myself included) behind their backs, publicly singles me out and calls me rude names, twists my words around to start flames in threads, influences other moderators to give unfair treatment to me (and then publicly make fun of doing so), and can't seem to leave me alone. You guys are lucky that over here, moderators are decent.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    brad,

You know none of that's true. Please stop trying to act the martyr. You know why you were banned fo r 1 week (messing with the boards code without permission) and you know that noone has influence over Gecko. I'm sure you (or anyone) can ask him and he'll verify this. I'm sure noone else wants to hear your childish rantings...

Now please stop.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    bradbowerbradbower Posts: 1,068member
    [quote]Originally posted by The_Name_Thief:

<strong>brad,

You know none of that's true. Please stop trying to act the martyr. You know why you were banned fo r 1 week (messing with the boards code without permission) and you know that noone has influence over Gecko. I'm sure you (or anyone) can ask him and he'll verify this. I'm sure noone else wants to hear your childish rantings...

Now please stop.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well, now that we're being truthful, you might as well admit this attempt at covering your ass was completely false, and everything I said about you (other than that you have directly influenced other OI users to dislike me), is indeed true. You were even called on that at OI when you asked their opinions on what I had said.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    dogcowdogcow Posts: 713member
    First thing I have to say is that Mark, you rule!

2. I must agree with the point that this "Administration" or whatever you want to call it in general has been very, umm, childish? that's not the word I want, but its all I can come up with right now, so don't flame me for it . Basically, at the old AI, Admin/Mod powers were never used like they seem to be now. I look at the topic listing one second and see some topics lock, look again and they are unlocked again. You guys are all suppose to be a 'team'. If one of the mods or admin's makes the call to lock a thread, that call should stand as is, regardless of another mod/admins/and even members views. Also, Its kinda depressing to look a topic listing page full of locks. If a topic varies slightly from another I don?t see a problem leaving it open. I just looks like ya?ll a little lock happy lately.

Tres. The Admins/Mods of any online community need to realize they have "celebrity" like status amongst members weather they like it or not. They set the standard or the rest of the board. They are the people others look up to. If they can't handle that than I don't think they should be in a position of moderating. However, I am definitely against the idea of having 2 names for the mods to post under (unless they want to obviously). They should simple know that what they say will be looked at differently. Take this example. A person drives down the street and yells a racial slur to a minority. Now consider a police officer driving down the street in a curser yelling a racial slur at a minority. Do you think that people (including the one being yelled at) would have a different view at the two scenarios? (I know its a bit exaggerated, but you get my drift).

IV. No Admin or Mod should ever reveal any information about a member (unless held to by the law) that?s not a rule, but common courtesy and respect. Even if someone says too or public opinion demands, I still think you shouldn?t. This goes for linking usernames to one another as well. Along the same lines, no one should be singled out by admins/mods (even among admin/mods). (*cough* gorgonzola *cough*).

E. Applenut, were you out drinkin' last night or something? You don?t seem yourself

Six. Brad and JK, is it possible to keep your personal bitterness off this board (or at least in the right topic )