What is the plan for keynote day?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
Will the boards just be shut down?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I'm going to try keeping them up, and then play it by ear. If the loads become simply too high for the server to handle, I'll shut down the forums temporarily, but I'm not planning on outright shutting them down by default.

We'll see how the server handles and go from there.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    how about shutting down the macnn forums first this time? we always get reated with no respect.

BTW, which forum is getting higher traffic these days?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Applenut, neither forum is "less respected" by the staff . Most likley both will be down or both will be up-- more likley the latter.

Also, last month the MacNN forums had about double the traffic as AI.

[ 01-03-2002: Message edited by: Nick ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 9
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    I say you hike up the time between posts to something like 5-10 minutes.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    macaddictmacaddict Posts: 1,055member
    I don't see why traffic is so high during keynotes...people should be watching the keynote, not posting messages!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>I don't see why traffic is so high during keynotes...people should be watching the keynote, not posting messages! </strong><hr></blockquote>

That's what I always wondered too.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by MacAddict:

<strong>I don't see why traffic is so high during keynotes...people should be watching the keynote, not posting messages! </strong><hr></blockquote>

People do both, hehe. They're watching the keynote and simultaneously posting about it.

We will probably push flood control up, though, and make the minimum time between postings 90-120 seconds or so during the keynote. We're also serving our live updates page from this server, so we don't want people spamming the board during the keynote.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Nick you did the same thing for the keynote last year for appleonlooker.com which is now dead.

If the Forum goes down go to

macworldhl.fimble.com

or

macworldcarracho.fimble.com

on hl or carracho

the comp it is on now can handle it if it cant i can move it in 5 seconds to a DP 800Mhz 1.5gigs o ram 2 80 gigs on a molments notice.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Not to dout the owner of the server comp but i have goten 220 times today i got to keep trying to go to forums but conection failers occor alot so i dont think the form can handle amy more of the wee bit of stress on it.