YouTube smash 'Despacito' shot in one day, edited on Final Cut Pro X

Posted:
in Mac Software edited October 2017
"Despacito," the most viewed video on YouTube, has garnered over 4 billion views -- and was edited and produced using Final Cut Pro X.

The most viewed video in history was entirely shot in one long day in La Perla, according to an interview by FCP.co. After the rapid shoot starring former Miss Universe Zuleyka Rivera, it was edited with Final Cut Pro X at Elastic People, a studio in Miami.

To "stylize and pay-off" the song's title, that means "slowly" in English, the crew shot all the video in hi-speed. As a result, there were sufficient frames to play with different speed ramps during the edit, made simpler by Final Cut Pro X.

Editor Leo Arango claims that the "overall editing experience" is what makes Final Cut Pro X his solution of choice.

Elastic People standardized on Final Cut Pro X in 2015, according to studio founder Carlos Prez. All of the studio's work, including productions for Bacardi, Harley-Davidson, Nike, Pepsi, HBO, Sony, Columbia, ABC, and Toyota were churned out on the Apple-developed solution.

Just 6 months after "Despacito" was released it became the most streamed song in history, with 4.6 billion plays across all streaming services. The song reached the top spot on Billboard's Top 100 in the U.S. and stayed there for 16 weeks. On Sept. 26, "Despacito" was nominated for four Latin Grammy awards, including best music video.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member
    No was this is true. We have already heard from all the pro users on this site Apple's products (from the Mac Pro to FCP) are completely unusable by any pro for a variety of reasons. Specifically FCP, is a complete mess and only used by wanna-be amateurs.

/s
    Rayz2016tmaymacxpressGG1watto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 36
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Seriously!?!? Not one link to the actual video itself? 
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 3 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    You haven't already seen it?

Anyway, added.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Fonzie is back, baby!

mizhoudasanman69airmanchairman
  • Reply 5 of 36
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Anyway, added.
    As a Latino, I can say from personal experience that many of my non-latino friends have heard of the song, yet never seen the video.  I think it more the norm than the exception.
    baconstang1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 6 of 36
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.
    As a Latino, I can say from personal experience that many of my non-latino friends have heard of the song, yet never seen the video.  I think it more the norm than the exception.
    I dunno. 4 billion YouTube hits is a lot.
  • Reply 7 of 36
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member

Anyway, added.
    No! No I haven’t. 
  • Reply 8 of 36
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Would it kill Apple to build a LUT loader/manager in FCPX? 
  • Reply 9 of 36
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,008member

Music video edited on computer...next....

• Reply 10 of 36

Anyway, added.

Personally, this is the first I've even heard of this song/video.  Which is odd since I (or really my wife) watch enough TV to know the highlights of pop culture.  4 billion views is a staggering number.
  • Reply 11 of 36
    It was my first time also... (seeing the video)

So, what are the Pro’s using other than Final Cut?

Or, even Pro-consumers?  I downloaded several ‘movie makers’ and the ones I tried were unusable...

I don’t own a Mac, but it looked like the way to go to create something without requiring classes on how to use the software.

I have a nephew who wanted to put together some High School baseball highlights for a College scholarship. 
  • Reply 12 of 36
    4 billion views doesn’t tell how many people were viewing it repeatedly—an individual could be viewing it
  • Reply 13 of 36

Anyway, added.

Personally, this is the first I've even heard of this song/video.  Which is odd since I (or really my wife) watch enough TV to know the highlights of pop culture.  4 billion views is a staggering number.
    4 billion views is a lot, but how many of those were fan playing it over and over again.  Many people (especially younger people) listen to music videos on YouTube rather than buying the music.  

The artists are pissed about that, and there have been lawsuits in the past.  YouTube pays a pittance in compensation...
    LukeCagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 36
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    I like the song and the video however I would not like my young girls to watch it. The lyrics are very raunchy. Should have an explicit rating. There are a lot of hip hop rap style latino videos on youtube that are totally inappropriate for children.
  • Reply 15 of 36
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member
    I had never heard of this.

Did the video editor possibly have ADHD? I don't think there was a shot longer than 2 seconds anywhere. That's some real artistry right there.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 16 of 36
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    mystigo said:
    I had never heard of this.

Did the video editor possibly have ADHD? I don't think there was a shot longer than 2 seconds anywhere. That's some real artistry right there.
    All modern music videos are cut like that. It is not PBS after all.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 17 of 36
    unphocus said:
    4 billion views doesn’t tell how many people were viewing it repeatedly—an individual could be viewing it
    If you assume one click per second, and an immediate refresh, with an instant reload taking zero time, it would take one person over 120 years to execute this maneuver.

More realistically, it would take five seconds on a fast, low-latency connection per refresh and click. That means 600 years.

It has been 10 months since release.
    LukeCage
  • Reply 18 of 36
    Never heard of it till now. And the 4+ Billion if you polled the viewers you'd discover some folks have watched it hundreds of times.
  • Reply 19 of 36
    Whats so smazing about the editing? It an ok project.. nothing that makes fcx stand out . liking the music and the setting is another issue altogether.
  • Reply 20 of 36

Anyway, added.
    Had not even heard of it before this story. Seems relevant to a story about a link on youtube.