Survey finds iPhone X & 8 purchase intent at highest level since Apple launched the iPhone...

Posted:
in iPhone
Amid concerns over the debut of the iPhone 8 and iPhone 8 Plus, a new survey finds that the trio of those phones plus the iPhone X is generating considerable buying buzz, with 69 percent of North American consumers planning to buy a new iPhone within the next 3 months.

Investment firm UBS partnered with 451 Research to poll 3,840 consumers about their buying intentions over the next 90 days. The survey found that iPhone purchase interest is at its highest level since it reached 71 percent when the iPhone 6 lineup debuted in 2014.

The survey suggests that the iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone 8 have generated more interest from consumers than the last two years, in which the iPhone 7 and iPhone 6s were launched.

For the iPhone X specifically, 43 percent of iPhone buyers said they plan to buy the new flagship model, with a starting price of $999.

The survey also indicated that the iPhone 8 Plus has, thus far, outsold the smaller iPhone 8, showing consumers gravitating toward the larger display and superior camera.

Analyst Steven Milunovich acknowledged that there has been considerable demand and supply-side speculation in recent weeks. Notably, there have been supply chain rumors suggesting Apple has cut orders for the iPhone 8, while the CEO of Canadian carrier Rogers described sales as "anemic."

Milunovich, however, isn't concerned, and advised investors to ignore most of what they hear ahead of the iPhone X launch. Accordingly, UBS has maintained its price target of $180 for shares of AAPL with a "buy" rating.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 54
     I love Apple but I’m tired of them saying the iPhone X is full screen there’s clearly a black  bezel around the phone and that very ugly notch,  then the camera bump really and they want at least $1000 for this 64 gigs it’s time to take a stand and say no.
    SnickersMagoofreshmakerkitatitZooMigo
  • Reply 2 of 54
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    larrystar said:
     I love Apple but I’m tired of them saying the iPhone X is full screen there’s clearly a black  bezel around the phone and that very ugly notch,  then the camera bump really and they want at least $1000 for this 64 gigs it’s time to take a stand and say no.
    B.S.
    kevin keemike1gregg thurmantmayericthehalfbeeStrangeDayscalipatchythepiratepscooter63trashman69
  • Reply 3 of 54
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    larrystar said:
    I am tired of people saying it is not full screen just because of 1mm ‘bezel’ to protect your screen from gripping hand. I am tired of people parroting trolls in this forum. I am tired of all of these newbies popping out of nowhere and talking like a dumb clown (sorry, Pennywise) in the forum.
    mike1lkruppshark5150ericthehalfbeeStrangeDayscaliRonnnieOpscooter63trashman69radarthekat
  • Reply 4 of 54
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    larrystar said:
    I don't sense much "love" here.
    1. No one is forcing anyone to buy any phone.
    2. There is no such thing as a full screen/zero bezel phone.
    There is instead a screen to body ratio and the iPhone X does very well with that measurement.
    3. You think there is a "very ugly notch".
    I think it looks fine. Partly because I understand the reason for it in terms of UI and with keeping the phone more compact.
    4. A camera bump is not exclusive to the iPhone X. A bump has been on iPhones for years.    

edited October 2017 magman1979gregg thurmanStrangeDayscaliAnilu_777trashman69radarthekatcanadiandudeMacProMplsP
  • Reply 5 of 54
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    larrystar said:
    Things Samsung trolls say: “I love Apple, but...”
    bb-15lkruppmagman1979gregg thurmanStrangeDayscalipscooter63radarthekatcanadiandudeasdasd
  • Reply 6 of 54
    So one minute we get 8 sales are anemic, fewer have upgraded to an 8 than typically upgrade to an S model etc. and purchase intent for 8 and X is the highest ever. There’s no way both can be right. So I say believe neither and wait for Apple to sales from the holiday quarter.
    bb-15lkruppmagman1979gregg thurmancalitrashman69
  • Reply 7 of 54
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,118member
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    I am tired of people saying it is not full screen just because of 1mm ‘bezel’ to protect your screen from gripping hand. I am tired of people parroting trolls in this forum. I am tired of all of these newbies popping out of nowhere and talking like a dumb clown (sorry, Pennywise) in the forum.
    It's more than just a 'bezel' to protect the screen. It also a UI tool helping to visually separate the display from the rest of the world.
    calidesignrwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 8 of 54
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    1) It's not fullscreen because of the notch. You can argue that it's "close enough" but the components will shrink and the notch will shrink but Apple can't then market it as fullerscreen. Plus, they've had issues with false advertising in the UK  so I'm surprised to see they're saying "It’s all screen."

2) Your excuse that the bezel is to "protect your screen from gripping hand" makes no sense. You can say that they need a slight bezel because of the physics of durability, but don't suggest it's because of accidental input so they made it artificially larger than it could've been.
    edited October 2017 gatorguy
  • Reply 9 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    larrystar said:
    Double B.S. So go ahead and sue for false advertising and see how far you get.
    edited October 2017 magman1979caliJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 54
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

kevin kee said:
    larrystar said:
    And like the typical troll, they waltz into a forum, squat and drop a Baby Ruth turd on the floor, admire it, and then leave.
    edited October 2017 StrangeDayscanadiandudewatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 54
    mwhite said:
    larrystar said:
    B.S.
    Double that. Reads like a troll.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 54
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    A bezel-less phone is an impossibility if you consider that the correct definition of a bezel, as derived from the watch industry, is the physical frame that holds the display in place or protects its edges. 
    Take flat screen TVs with edge to edge displays. Do we describe them as bezel-less?
    Soliradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 54
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    I predict that sales are not anemic. This is a classic repeat of the whole controversy, when many were incorrectly claiming that "the iPhone 5C isn't selling well." That phone turned out to be a very solid seller, consistently over time. Same thing here. The current lineup will drive both sales and margins to record highs. Accounts to the contrary, again in my opinion, are either ignorant or willfully misleading. Secret of the stock market = buy low + sell high.
    pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 54
    I'm interested in purchasing a new Ferrari and I have every intent of getting one, too bad reality kicks in and I figure out I've only got Honda Accord money left after paying the bills.

I'll wait to see what actual numbers are in the December 31 and March 31 quarters.  It is easy to say something when taking a survey, quite another thing when it is time to part with $1,000 for a phone.
  • Reply 15 of 54
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    I know a lot of people get new phones every year, but I bet there are lots of people like me as well. Here is my lifetime iPhone upgrade path:

iPhone 2007
    iPhone 4 (briefly, I broke it)
    iPhone 5s

Clearly, I buy a new phone when the one I own won’t run the latest OS any longer. I like to buy my phones outright, and be done with it. 
    This upgrade cycle is perfect for me, but I want it play with ipX before I make a decision. 

croprwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 54
    lkrupp said:
    larrystar said:
    Double B.S. So go ahead and sue for false advertising and see how far you get.
    So I guess John Gruber and Ken Segall are full of BS too?

https://daringfireball.net/linked/2017/10/20/its-all-screen
    I don’t have a problem with the side and bottom edges of the iPhone X being described as “all screen”. It’s not the same as Samsung’s Galaxy Edge sides, but I dislike the way those Edge phones look when I hold them. If there were no notch — that is to say, if the top of the iPhone X looked exactly like the bottom — I would have no problem declaring that “all screen” would be a fair description.

But with the notch? No way. Here’s one simple way to think about it: what does Apple do 2-3 years from now if they ship an iPhone with no notch? Describe it as “Really all screen this time”?

Soli
  • Reply 17 of 54
    bb-15 said:

1. No one is forcing anyone to buy any phone.

O, I dunno. I am feeling an insane compulsion to make the leap from 5S to X!
    calipatchythepirateradarthekatiqatedowatto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 54
    So one minute we get 8 sales are anemic, fewer have upgraded to an 8 than typically upgrade to an S model etc. and purchase intent for 8 and X is the highest ever. There’s no way both can be right. So I say believe neither and wait for Apple to sales from the holiday quarter.
    Maybe people have begun to think like in that article:
  • Reply 19 of 54
    larrystar said:
    Psst, you forgot to tell us you've owned every Apple product since 1982. Come on man, it's important for troll-cred.
    Anilu_777RonnnieOpscooter63radarthekatcanadiandudeJFC_PAwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 54

I say believe the rumor that states sales are good and people are buying.

Simply based on the fact that every year we get these doom & gloom stories about dismal sales and every year they’re wrong. Why should it be any different this year?
    watto_cobra