Google investigating reports of screen burn-in on Pixel 2 XL

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    lkrupp said:
    No wonder Apple delayed using OLED for so long. Let’s hope this problem doesn’t rear its ugly head in the iPhone X. And the who people screamed for “wireless” charging are now blasting the glass backs.
    For one thing, it's inductive charging. Something I could care less about. It's the same way my Electric tooth brush charges. It's old tech!!!! I'm sure most people don't even use it. It's never going to be as fast as a wired connection. If you want Inductive charging, it means you need something that won't short it out. It can't be any type of metal. Glass, Plastic, Ceramic.

I had my iPhone 4 for 4+ years which was also glass on the back and I didn't get a single crack on it. All I had on it was a custom made Sticker. In the end, sold it to T-Mobile for $202. Still looked like new. Some people are hard on their stuff and others aren't.
    anantksundaramwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    I don't get the whole burn in issue. That's just way, way to fast. I have a couple 50" Panasonic Plasma's. They've been gamed on. They are getting up in age and there's NO BURN IN!!!! That was a issue in the past, but there are tricks that are done to help prevent that. Burn-In on CRT displays on Arcade machines was everywhere. I haven't heard much of this on OLED display's. They've been used on phones now for a number of years and never been a issue that I can recall.
  • Reply 23 of 31
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Rayz2016 said:
    The problem is that LG is far behind Samsung in small panel OLED display manufacturing.

Samsung panels originally had a host of problems which the company eventually became to solve. In some ways, the early Samsung panels back in 2011 were still superior to the LG ones being manufactured today. 

The small model Pixel 2 has a Samsung display. That display is quite nice. The larger model has the much poorer LG built display. 

The real issue concerns Apple’s planned use of LG as a high volume OLED display supplier next year. I can guarantee that LG will be nowhere near the quality of Samsung built displays in another year. It’s taken Samsung 6 years to get to this stage. No amount of money is going to enable LG to catch Samsung in only a year. It’s ridiculous to think that LG can. Google is finding it out the hard way right now. Apple is going to in 2018 if Cook continues his insane plans. 

Cook made a critical mistake. He should have approached LG about building OLED panels for phones at least three years ago when Samsung was rapidly improving and expanding their manufacturing expertise in such panels. 

It is now too late. Samsung is going to utterly dominate high quality small panel OLED display manufacturing. 

With that dominance, Samsung is going to take full control of the non iOS portion of the smart device market. Apple will be forced to continue to source OLED panels primarily from Samsung. 

Think about it. How will the market react if the flagship iPhone X2 or whatever Apple decides to name it, comes with an inferior panel to the iPhone X. Apple is tied at the hip to Samsung. There’s very little that can be done about it now 
    Unless they’re planning something else:

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/09/advances-in-micro-led-displays-are-being-made-and-apples-luxvue-owns-a-key-patent-to-advance-production.html
    Are you implying that OLED is a stopgap until micro LED arrives? I've thought of this strategy. OLED is not without its problems. So maybe iPhone X/X2/X3 will be OLED models, and after that it's micro LED (or something else). The "legacy" models will continue to use LCD for lower cost.

Makes me wonder why Apple are spending money getting LG up-to-speed on OLEDs if OLED is a stopgap. Possibly to keep Samsung somewhat honest on price.
    bb-15watto_cobrak2kw
  • Reply 24 of 31
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    This can’t be good for sales as even if these are just pre-release review units and even if Google figures out a fix, you’d have to think potential consumers would have cause to pause and not want to take the chance.  This phone might see its demise even faster than the Essemtial got its post-release $200 price cut.  Even faster than Samsung took to recall the Note 7.  Androidland.  What an adventure!
    Fandroids cried like crazy in android central...they got a phone only a few weeks...lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 31
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Designed by Google Dreamers! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 31
    dws-2 said:
    This a huge competitive advantage for Samsung. They literally make the only good OLED screens, and Apple seems to be pegging its future on OLED displays with the iPhone X. I expect this gives Samsung a lot of pricing power. Here's hoping that LG's phone-based OLED displays start to catch up fast.
    Apple’s future is microLED, not OLED, they’ve bought a company for that. OLED (Samsung) may be just an interim solution until full Apple scale implementation of microLED. Until then LCD models may do the job, one absolutely doesn’t need an OLED iPhone just because OLED is the “future”

http://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/17/06/07/apple-may-use-micro-led-in-wearables-as-soon-as-2018
    I think you mean, "We hope mLED is Apple's future."  It's far from certain right now.  mLED still has considerable challenges with quality and yield.  Even in best case scenarios mLED will be viable for an Apple Watch as a test bed at some point in 2018.  Depending on how well that goes, you're looking at another year, maybe two, at least to ramp up production for phones.  In the interim, OLED is the future.  Well, at least according to Apple it's the future.  For the rest of 2017 and all of 2018 it's definitely the future.  Beyond that who knows.  mLED could work on a small watch screen and just as easily turn out to be exactly like the ill fated venture of sapphire iPhone screens: impossible to scale.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 31
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    I can see them now...

watto_cobrabestkeptsecretzroger73
  • Reply 28 of 31
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,422member
    I noticed that OLED burn in is quite common.. I see them all the time at Best Buy on Androids and it's very distracting.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    GG1 said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    The problem is that LG is far behind Samsung in small panel OLED display manufacturing.

Samsung panels originally had a host of problems which the company eventually became to solve. In some ways, the early Samsung panels back in 2011 were still superior to the LG ones being manufactured today. 

The small model Pixel 2 has a Samsung display. That display is quite nice. The larger model has the much poorer LG built display. 

The real issue concerns Apple’s planned use of LG as a high volume OLED display supplier next year. I can guarantee that LG will be nowhere near the quality of Samsung built displays in another year. It’s taken Samsung 6 years to get to this stage. No amount of money is going to enable LG to catch Samsung in only a year. It’s ridiculous to think that LG can. Google is finding it out the hard way right now. Apple is going to in 2018 if Cook continues his insane plans. 

Cook made a critical mistake. He should have approached LG about building OLED panels for phones at least three years ago when Samsung was rapidly improving and expanding their manufacturing expertise in such panels. 

It is now too late. Samsung is going to utterly dominate high quality small panel OLED display manufacturing. 

With that dominance, Samsung is going to take full control of the non iOS portion of the smart device market. Apple will be forced to continue to source OLED panels primarily from Samsung. 

Think about it. How will the market react if the flagship iPhone X2 or whatever Apple decides to name it, comes with an inferior panel to the iPhone X. Apple is tied at the hip to Samsung. There’s very little that can be done about it now 

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patently-apple/2017/09/advances-in-micro-led-displays-are-being-made-and-apples-luxvue-owns-a-key-patent-to-advance-production.html
    Are you implying that OLED is a stopgap until micro LED arrives? I've thought of this strategy. OLED is not without its problems. So maybe iPhone X/X2/X3 will be OLED models, and after that it's micro LED (or something else). The "legacy" models will continue to use LCD for lower cost.

Makes me wonder why Apple are spending money getting LG up-to-speed on OLEDs if OLED is a stopgap. Possibly to keep Samsung somewhat honest on price.
    Well, if the ‘sapphire’ debacle tells us one thing then it’s that having a plan is not the same as delivering on that plan. 

Apple is so keen on microLED (and why wouldn’t they be?) that they bought LuxVue so they could develop it. 

But 

Apple is right to continue seeking more OLED suppliers because there is no guarantee they can make microLEDs work. 
    watto_cobragatorguyGG1
  • Reply 30 of 31
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Rayz2016 said:
    GG1 said:
    Rayz2016 said:

Well, if the ‘sapphire’ debacle tells us one thing then it’s that having a plan is not the same as delivering on that plan. 

Apple is so keen on microLED (and why wouldn’t they be?) that they bought LuxVue so they could develop it. 

But 

Apple is right to continue seeking more OLED suppliers because there is no guarantee they can make microLEDs work. 
    So true. Remember how Apple's acquisition of LiquidMetal was supposed to change things? (housings, etc.)
    gatorguy
  • Reply 31 of 31
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Scroogled.