iPhone X video shot at Apple HQ shows practical use of Apple Pay, Animoji [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
A YouTube video shot inside the One Infinite Loop Apple headquarters Caffe Macs restaurant depicts the iPhone X "in the wild," being used to pay for a meal with Apple Pay, as well as other basic uses.

The original video by Brooke Amelia Peterson started with a shopping montage, with footage of Apple's pre-Apple Park campus beginning at around 2:25 in the video. The video then shows Amelia's father using Apple Pay on the iPhone X very rapidly, and then has the woman using the phone in the restaurant.

Practical use of the iPhone X begins at about 2:50.

The iPhone video shows notifications, the control center getting pulled down, and the Animoji feature in-action. The video host's father also notes that his team is moving into Apple Park in December.

Update: The video has been removed from YouTube. It remains on Reddit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Somebody here is going to be in the dog house
  • Reply 2 of 24
    I can hardly wait to try it for myself when iOS gets updated. 
  • Reply 3 of 24
    AI_liasAI_lias Posts: 434member
    Not seeing animoji as anything more than a short-lived distraction, like the Snapchat filters. remember how you can send your heartbeat to someone else via Apple watch. That was an Apple watch feature :) This is the same thing, kind of awkward.
    randominternetpersonaplnub78Banditking editor the gratedoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 24
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    red oak said:
    Ha. It’s already removed. 

Who was that? And who thought that’d be a good idea? 🙄
    doozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 24
    rufworkrufwork Posts: 130member
    red oak said:
    Ha. It’s already removed. Who was that? And who thought that’d be a good idea?  :s

"A YouTuber whose dad works at Apple just gave us the best look at the iPhone X yet". Ouch. I hope that's not "workED at Apple" now. Kids, man. Kids. ;)

BTW, if you add an eyeroll emoji to your post, you can't edit it. It shows two textareas, and the second posts a new post. :eyeroll: Ooops! ;)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 6 of 24

She no longer works for Apple.
    racerhomie
  • Reply 7 of 24
    Pink slips went out immediately.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    For her Dad's sake, I hope that was authorized as part of the PR campaign leading up to the pre-order date.
    jax44
  • Reply 11 of 24
    Oh Dear. That's another Zero (or two) added to the Animoji law suit damages claim. The evidence is all there for the jury to see.

• Reply 12 of 24
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    red oak said:
    There have already been hands-on demos of the iPhone X so they didn't leak anything. Given that the video was taken down, it must be against their policy though. The video can be seen here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/phones-gadgets/iphone-x-demo-video-by-vlogger-brooke-amelia-peterson-whose-dad-works-at-apple-removed-from-youtube/

I think the swipe up to go home/multi-task will be easier to use than the home button and it would be nice to have the option to use that on all iPhones.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    AI_lias said:
    Not seeing animoji as anything more than a short-lived distraction, like the Snapchat filters. remember how you can send your heartbeat to someone else via Apple watch. That was an Apple watch feature :) This is the same thing, kind of awkward.
    I can see it being huge although I would never use it myself. Probably 
    caliracerhomie
  • Reply 14 of 24
    Oh Dear. That's another Zero (or two) added to the Animoji law suit damages claim. The evidence is all there for the jury to see.

What’s that now?
  • Reply 15 of 24
    Marvin said:
    red oak said:
    There have already been hands-on demos of the iPhone X so they didn't leak anything. Given that the video was taken down, it must be against their policy though. The video can be seen here:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/video/phones-gadgets/iphone-x-demo-video-by-vlogger-brooke-amelia-peterson-whose-dad-works-at-apple-removed-from-youtube/

I think the swipe up to go home/multi-task will be easier to use than the home button and it would be nice to have the option to use that on all iPhones.
    Breaking news:  Amelia Peterson’s father has been hired by Samsung.  /s
  • Reply 16 of 24
    I’m sure he will get a slap in the wrist at most. The x is public already 
    pscooter63racerhomie
  • Reply 17 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    AI_lias said:
    Like emojis, iMessage stickers and Snapchat. Short lived....

and there’s a theory she was given the OK to post because the video was recorded in SEPTEMBER!! So she waited a month for some reason.

what’s not clear is if she was allowed to film at 1 Infinite Loop.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 18 of 24
    The device was already shown by AAPL over a month ago.  The actual product is shipping in 10 days.  It has been seen in the wild several times with video clips.  The video was fun to watch and had just enough blogger feel.  It could, with little effort be a real commercial.  The clip I saw on Reddit was less than 60 sec long.  If someone at 1 Infinite Loop was concerned about a teenager with a 35MM rig and tripod taking video in the breakroom, they should have said something before she posted.  Someone at AAPL gave him an iPhoneX to test so if it ended up with 60 seconds of fame, what is the real issue?  More sales backlog?

-RJ

• Reply 19 of 24
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    That notch is just ridiculous looking. 
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 20 of 24
    AI_lias said:
    If you think Snapchat filters is a short lived distraction, you’re looking at it wrong. Very wrong. You clearly don’t use Snapchat regularly. 

Unfortunately, I don’t see the animojis being a big hit. Not enough personal expression, too cartoonish.

Animojis do make sense as a fun, playful stepping stone to something much more significant.

I don’t promote acquisitions by Apple a lot. But acquiring Snapchat/bitmoji would probably be a great thing. They really really get social. I wish Apple did, but after years of trying, they still don’t get social, at all. The new AR characters in Snapchat are great, and becoming very popular. Snapchat has not been standing still.