YouTube smash 'Despacito' shot in one day, edited on Final Cut Pro X

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    Gorgeous girl in the video, but the locations look like a dump right out of crumbling Cuba.
  • Reply 22 of 36
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    unphocus said:
    4 billion views doesn’t tell how many people were viewing it repeatedly—an individual could be viewing it
    I think there might have been some confusion over this track because there's a version featuring Justin Bieber, which is the version in the charts:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7942306/despacito-hot-100-number-one-ties-record-luis-fonsi-daddy-yankee-justin-bieber

When the song was reported in the media, they linked to the video but Bieber isn't in the video. I watched it a few times when it came out like a Where's Waldo thing because it didn't look like the video matched the news reports given that Bieber clearly wasn't in it. Plus there's hot women in the video so that was good for a few plays. The Bieber one is this one:

Given that Bieber's top 5 Youtube videos have over 8b views, there might have been a lot of confused Beliebers playing the video over and over.
    mystigo said:
    I had never heard of this.

Did the video editor possibly have ADHD? I don't think there was a shot longer than 2 seconds anywhere. That's some real artistry right there.
    I was thinking the magnetic timeline might have helped here but then I realised that would actually have thrown everything out of sync with the audio. The audio has to be continuous so split out from the video. If the non-singing clips were pushed around magnetically, every singing part would have been pushed out of sync. FCPX has a position tool though that just drops clips in place and crops the adjacent clips and the sliders can be easily pushed and pulled around. The timeline shown in the screenshots is one track with the audio split out:

The article is really interesting:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/2008-cut-with-fcp-x-despacito-gets-over-4-billion-views-on-youtube-and-is-nominated-for-best-music-video-in-the-2017-latin-grammy-awards

The town shown in the video was damaged in the hurricane that hit Puerto Rico. They went there and shot the video over 14 hours in one day on a RED Epic Dragon, which can shoot up to 6K and they edited in 4K. They used a DJI drone ( https://store.dji.com/shop/inspire-series ) for the aerial shots. They are using some of the newer features in FCPX 10.3:

They edited on an iMac hooked up to a Thunderbolt display, exported the video for grading in Da Vinci.

It's good that Apple keeps adding features and workflow enhancements and building trust with editors. More visibility like this will help other editors feel like experimenting with it again.
    It was my first time also... (seeing the video)

So, what are the Pro’s using other than Final Cut?

Or, even Pro-consumers?  I downloaded several ‘movie makers’ and the ones I tried were unusable...

I don’t own a Mac, but it looked like the way to go to create something without requiring classes on how to use the software.

I have a nephew who wanted to put together some High School baseball highlights for a College scholarship. 
    Alternatives are Premiere Pro and Avid. Avid is used more by movie studios. Premiere comes with the Adobe CC bundle and is the equivalent of FCP on Windows. The low-end movie apps are terrible. Media Composer has a free version now so that's an option to try:

http://www.avid.com/media-composer
    sennen
  • Reply 23 of 36
    sflocal said:
    Seriously!?!? Not one link to the actual video itself? 
    You haven't already seen it?

Anyway, added.
    As a Latino, I can say from personal experience that many of my non-latino friends have heard of the song, yet never seen the video.  I think it more the norm than the exception.
    I dunno. 4 billion YouTube hits is a lot.
    4 billion hits isn't a 1:1 views to individuals.  I've never seen the video either but I've heard my girls playing it on repeat for weeks on end.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.
    As a Latino, I can say from personal experience that many of my non-latino friends have heard of the song, yet never seen the video.  I think it more the norm than the exception.
    4 billion hits isn't a 1:1 views to individuals.  I've never seen the video either but I've heard my girls playing it on repeat for weeks on end.
    I believe my mathematical breakdown of it was pretty clear on the situation. I'm aware it isn't 1:1 -- but it is also not 100 people slamming refresh, or even 100,000.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 25 of 36
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.
    I believe my mathematical breakdown of it was pretty clear on the situation. I'm aware it isn't 1:1 -- but it is also not 100 people slamming refresh, or even 100,000.
    I agree it's not a hundred people slamming refresh either.  Or a 100,000.   It's also not the point.  In an article about a popular video shot using Final Cut, wouldn't it make sense to show the result of the product being used?  Heck, even if it's just for selfish reasons, the video should have been there in my opinion.  As evidenced by the comments, a lot of people haven't seen the video.  If their curiosity leads them away from appleinsider and over to youtube... pretty sure I don't have to tell you what kind of rabbit hole youtube is.  You're the editor so far be it from me to tell you how to present your articles.  It just seemed like a no brainer.
  • Reply 26 of 36
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.
    I agree it's not a hundred people slamming refresh either.  Or a 100,000.   It's also not the point.  In an article about a popular video shot using Final Cut, wouldn't it make sense to show the result of the product being used?  Heck, even if it's just for selfish reasons, the video should have been there in my opinion.  As evidenced by the comments, a lot of people haven't seen the video.  If their curiosity leads them away from appleinsider and over to youtube... pretty sure I don't have to tell you what kind of rabbit hole youtube is.  You're the editor so far be it from me to tell you how to present your articles.  It just seemed like a no brainer.
    19 minutes after the story went live, there was a video attached.

Note: "anyway, added" from said 18 minutes after the first posting commenting on its absence. Your entire comment thread after you jumped in? The video was in the article.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 27 of 36
    FCPX is easy to use, reliable and quite powerful. 
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 28 of 36
    unphocus said:
    4 billion views doesn’t tell how many people were viewing it repeatedly—an individual could be viewing it
    If you assume one click per second, and an immediate refresh, with an instant reload taking zero time, it would take one person over 120 years to execute this maneuver.

More realistically, it would take five seconds on a fast, low-latency connection per refresh and click. That means 600 years.

It has been 10 months since release.
    It’s so crazy how much this song took off all over the world. To think 4.1 billion views since January, ridiculous! That’s an average of 15.2 million views a day. 
  • Reply 29 of 36
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.

Note: "anyway, added" from said 18 minutes after the first posting commenting on its absence. Your entire comment thread after you jumped in? The video was in the article.
    Does it matter when I jumped in?  That's not snark, it's a genuine question.  I know I haven't been commenting on this site for long, but is there some protocol regarding what can be commented on and when?  You adding the video 19 minutes later wasn't the issue and really isn't worth commentary imo.  Your editorial decision not to have it there in the first place is/was worth the commentary, as was your reasoning for not having it there initially.  So again, being dead serious.  Is there some protocol I'm supposed to follow?
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 30 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    johnbear said:
    FCPX is easy to use, reliable and quite powerful. 
    Heh. There’s the whole article in one sentence. 
  • Reply 31 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    An $8,000 8K Red Epic Dragon video camera .... I'd like to read more about the process.  8K to Proxy generation and Apple Pro Res and the rendering time etc.   Type of Mac used ... come on so much more fun stuff to write about than viral viewing numbers (heck cat videos get that shot on an iPhone)  or even the music!  ;)
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 32 of 36
    sflocal said:

Anyway, added.

Does it matter when I jumped in?  That's not snark, it's a genuine question.  I know I haven't been commenting on this site for long, but is there some protocol regarding what can be commented on and when?  You adding the video 19 minutes later wasn't the issue and really isn't worth commentary imo.  Your editorial decision not to have it there in the first place is/was worth the commentary, as was your reasoning for not having it there initially.  So again, being dead serious.  Is there some protocol I'm supposed to follow?
    No protocol to speak of, I have no real issue with your commentary.

However, beating a dead horse is generally discouraged. We read nearly every comment. If we fix something as a result, we saw some wisdom in the suggestion or point made by a commenter.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 33 of 36
    My bad it was the 6K Red, I mixed my Reds above, I thought they'd used the 8K one.  Oh well obviously a cheap production /s. ;)
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 34 of 36
    MacPro said:
    An $8,000 8K Red Epic Dragon video camera .... I'd like to read more about the process.  8K to Proxy generation and Apple Pro Res and the rendering time etc.   Type of Mac used ... come on so much more fun stuff to write about than viral viewing numbers (heck cat videos get that shot on an iPhone)  or even the music!  ;)
    The video was shot in 8K Red Raw. As they knew that grading would be external, they converted all the footage to ProRes 422 4K prior to editing and they edited the video in a 4K timeline. This gave them optimal visual quality for editing without having to deal with realtime debayering of the Red Raw footage on the timeline. There were no Proxies involved. They have a fairly standard setup with an off-the-shelf 2016 iMac and an Apple Thunderbolt Display, which is powerful enough for this workflow as well as for editing all their long-form multicam concert shows. When you work with ProRes 4K media on a 4K timeline in FCP X, you don't need to render anything on such a setup.

I have written dozens of case studies about feature films and high-profile tv series cut with FCP X, and these have always been quite technical. Just a few examples:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1895-organising-and-managing-480-hours-of-footage-in-fcpx-editing-one-of-europe-s-major-feature-films-of-2017

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1960-manuel-terceno-explains-why-he-used-final-cut-pro-x-to-edit-2-award-winning-spanish-movies-from-2017-and-a-prestigious-drama-television-series-to-be-released-in-2018

In this case I deliberately left the technical details out because they were not really relevant to the story. This was more about the creative ideas behind the video, and about the powerful organizing and searching tools in FCP X that allowed the director and the editor to experiment with many different takes without wasting time trying to find the hero shots. As the video contains many slow-motion clips, I also wanted to explain the easy yet very powerful retiming functions in FCP X when working with hi-speed footage. 

I don't find viral viewing numbers that important myself. But this video broke all historic viral records AND it has been nominated for Best Video for the prestigious 2017 Grammy Awards and the 2017 AMA Awards.  I have never seen a cat video shot on an iPhone do this (-:

Hope this helps.

Ronny
    SpamSandwichMacPro
  • Reply 35 of 36
    MacPro said:
    The video was shot in 8K Red Raw. As they knew that grading would be external, they converted all the footage to ProRes 422 4K prior to editing and they edited the video in a 4K timeline. This gave them optimal visual quality for editing without having to deal with realtime debayering of the Red Raw footage on the timeline. There were no Proxies involved. They have a fairly standard setup with an off-the-shelf 2016 iMac and an Apple Thunderbolt Display, which is powerful enough for this workflow as well as for editing all their long-form multicam concert shows. When you work with ProRes 4K media on a 4K timeline in FCP X, you don't need to render anything on such a setup.

I have written dozens of case studies about feature films and high-profile tv series cut with FCP X, and these have always been quite technical. Just a few examples:

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1895-organising-and-managing-480-hours-of-footage-in-fcpx-editing-one-of-europe-s-major-feature-films-of-2017

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1960-manuel-terceno-explains-why-he-used-final-cut-pro-x-to-edit-2-award-winning-spanish-movies-from-2017-and-a-prestigious-drama-television-series-to-be-released-in-2018

In this case I deliberately left the technical details out because they were not really relevant to the story. This was more about the creative ideas behind the video, and about the powerful organizing and searching tools in FCP X that allowed the director and the editor to experiment with many different takes without wasting time trying to find the hero shots. As the video contains many slow-motion clips, I also wanted to explain the easy yet very powerful retiming functions in FCP X when working with hi-speed footage. 

I don't find viral viewing numbers that important myself. But this video broke all historic viral records AND it has been nominated for Best Video for the prestigious 2017 Grammy Awards and the 2017 AMA Awards.  I have never seen a cat video shot on an iPhone do this (-:

Hope this helps.

Ronny
    Awesome, thanks so much.  I am only now getting my head around 4K in FCPro X on a late 2013 new Mac Pro 6 Core so this is very useful info to know.  I'd assumed it was necessary to use proxy setup.  I will study all your links with great interest.  Much appreciated.  You haven't seen my cat videos ... ;)