Apple identifies automakers with wireless charging supporting iPhone 8 & 8 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has issued a new support document identifying which auto brands -- and in some cases, specific vehicles -- offer iPhone 8-compatible wireless chargers.

Some of the compatible brands include Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, PSA, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo. Apple didn't say whether people may need to pay extra for the technology, but did caution that the 5.5-inch iPhone 8 Plus might not fit in some chargers.

For four brands -- Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, and GMC -- the company noted that only specific models meet the Qi standard Apple relies on. While offering wireless charging, even some models as recent as 2017 aren't Qi-compatible, Apple said. Supporting vehicles do include:
  • 2018 GMC Terrain
  • 2018 GMC Yukon
  • 2018 GMC Sierra
  • 2018 Chevrolet Bolt
  • 2018 Chevrolet Tahoe
  • 2018 Chevrolet Silverado
  • 2018 Chevrolet Suburban
  • 2018 Cadillac Escalade
  • 2018 Buick Enclave
Vehicles ready for the iPhone 8 will also presumably handle the iPhone X, so long as they can fit its 5.8-inch OLED screen. Preorders for the latter start this Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific time, or 3:01 a.m. Eastern.

Apple is a latecomer to the world of wireless phone charging, as the option has been present on some Android phones for years. Two first-party accessories -- the AirPods Wireless Charging Case and the AirPower charging mat -- are still in development, the latter due in 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    Recently bought a 2018 Audi S5 Sportback. 

It does not have wireless charging. 
    DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 2 of 32
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I love how you Americans can buy cars from the future ;)
    leeeh2Notsofast
  • Reply 3 of 32
    While I haven't used Qi charging yet, I have heard there are issues with charging the phone if it doesn't fit entirely on the mat. In the case of the larger iPhone 8+ or X, I do not think any of those cars has a mat surface large enough.
  • Reply 4 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    1) Small list, but it's a start. Even worse is the Wireless CarPlay option in automobiles. Both of these together would be great and I think there's good chance I'll buy whatever new car offers both.

2) I'd love to see AI (or someone else) do a comprehensive review of home/office and in-car Qi chargers that are iPhone (and Series 3 Watch) compatible.
  • Reply 5 of 32
    My ‘16 Taco has Qi charging waiting for iPhone X
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 6 of 32
    jibjib Posts: 56member
    My new 2018 Acura TLX Advance has Qi wireless charging.  Waiting for my iPhone X to try it.

In response to iwarriorpoet who said:
    While I haven't used Qi charging yet, I have heard there are issues with charging the phone if it doesn't fit entirely on the mat. In the case of the larger iPhone 8+ or X, I do not think any of those cars has a mat surface large enough.
    The 8+ might have issues with a small charging pad, but the X is almost the same size as the 8. It should fit on any existing mat.
  • Reply 7 of 32
    My 2016 GMC Sierra "has wireless charging" but my iPhone 8 doesn't work as stated.  My understanding is it only charges 1.0A and they need to be at least 1.5A. My 2017 Chevy Tahoe "has wireless charging" but again the same issue as the GMC (since they are owned by the same company).  It's insane to think you have close to 100K in cars with Blu-Ray and Carplay and all but the wireless charging doesn't work.  Hopefully they will fix it.
  • Reply 8 of 32
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    hentaiboy said:
    I love how you Americans can buy cars from the future ;)
    We can thank farmers and the weather for that. If you are interested, here is an article explaining why:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/sc-car-model-years-reason-autocover-1103-20161101-story.html
    1STnTENDERBITS
  • Reply 9 of 32
    unphocus said:
    My ‘16 Taco has Qi charging waiting for iPhone X
    Unfortunately, not all Qi chargers are working with Apple’s new products so I’d try to get some verification. If the iPhone 8 series works with your “Taco” then I’d say you’re likely good.
  • Reply 10 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

And, your point is???
  • Reply 11 of 32
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Soli said:
    1) Small list, but it's a start. Even worse is the Wireless CarPlay option in automobiles. Both of these together would be great and I think there's good chance I'll buy whatever new car offers both.

2) I'd love to see AI (or someone else) do a comprehensive review of home/office and in-car Qi chargers that are iPhone (and Series 3 Watch) compatible.
    Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, PSA, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo

That's actually a pretty big list. Of course, not every car nor trim level will offer the option, but that covers almost every major car maker except GM which has some models called out separately.

• Reply 12 of 32
    mike1 said:
    Soli said:

Audi, BMW, Chrysler, Ford, Honda, Mercedes-Benz, PSA, Toyota, Volkswagen, and Volvo

That's actually a pretty big list. Of course, not every car nor trim level will offer the option, but that covers almost every major car maker except GM which has some models called out separately.
    I'd say it's a very short list because it's a very small number of models and an even smaller percentage of people that will buy cars over the next year. Even with the ones that offer it, there are limitations. For example, Audi's list of models that have the option don't work the iPhone 8 Plus because it's too large.
  • Reply 13 of 32

Love Audi vehicles. How do you like that S5?
  • Reply 14 of 32
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member

Well thats because you bought an Audi....
  • Reply 15 of 32
    BMW M240. Supports both wireless charging and wireless CarPlay. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 16 of 32
    mike1 said:

And, your point is???
    Dense much?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 17 of 32

Love Audi vehicles. How do you like that S5?
    I really like it a lot. Much more than I expected to. I had cooled off on Audi because of the emissions scandal, but I am impressed by the serious steps VW (the parent company) has taken -- and the restitution they've paid, nearly $25B in the US alone -- to address the problem, at least in the US. 

The styling, especially interior styling, is superb. Handles like a sports car. And their MMI -- which was really quite poorly implemented -- is aeons better than it used to be. In fact, the voice recognition, while not as good as Siri, is a massive improvement, and can understand natural language to some extent. CarPlay implementation is a 5/10, almost half-hearted. It's as though they are steering you towards using the MMI, which is largely what I've started doing. Switching into and out of CarPlay is a particularly clunky.

I was a little surprised at the lack of wireless charging, since it has every conceivable tech whiz-bang (including massaging seats!). I thought I would mention it here only because it is one of the higher-end Audis, the kind of model/configuration that might have been a candidate for it.
    SpamSandwichlolliverGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 18 of 32
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    ZooMigo said:
    BMW M240. Supports both wireless charging and wireless CarPlay. 
    The iPhone 8/8+ wireless charging? Even though it's not on the list?
  • Reply 19 of 32

Maybe this part from Audi is what fixes your problem.
    https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_2017_Q7/Audi-Wireless-Charging-Pad/69107559/8W0051191.html

• Reply 20 of 32
    Hope this helps