Apple posts two video tutorials for Portrait Lighting on iPhone 8 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple on Tuesday added two video tutorials to YouTube, guiding people through the Portrait Lighting mode on the iPhone 8 Plus.

The first takes users through setting a Lighting mode when taking an original photo, while the second covers applying the same effects to a previously shot Portrait. Both clips are less than a minute long.

Portrait Lighting is available on both the 8 Plus and the upcoming iPhone X, both of which have the necessary dual cameras for Portrait shooting. The Lighting mode uses machine learning to process the subject and the background, then apply one of several different schemes: Natural Light, Studio Light, Contour Light, Stage Light, or Stage Light Mono (black and white).

The option doesn't appear likely to come to the iPhone 7 Plus, despite that phone being released just last year and likewise having twin cameras. Apple may feel the phone's A10 processor isn't fast enough to render lighting quickly.

iPhone X preorders will start Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, 3:01 a.m. Eastern, ahead of a Nov. 3 ship date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    I plan to put the new capability to a test when I get my iPhone X. Most of these pics being shown aren’t in the conditions I plan to shoot in. 
  • Reply 2 of 30
    Burka, seriously? 
    magman1979DavidAlGregoryphbiansdw2001cornchip
  • Reply 3 of 30
    When using Portrait Mode, you have to be sure that STAGE LIGHT is highlighted. Black type on a yellow background or it won't work.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Is that a burka, a sarong or just a head scarf?
    magman1979chiacornchip
  • Reply 5 of 30
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    It's not Burka.
    chiaSoli
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Roger_FingasRoger_Fingas Posts: 148member, editor
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    It's just a hijab. Burkas cover the entire body.
    nasseraenetrox1STnTENDERBITSchiaSoli
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Is that a burka, a sarong or just a head scarf?
    It is a hijab.
    Soli
  • Reply 8 of 30
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Baseball cap backwards, seriously? 
    napoleon_phoneapartnasseraechiaminicoffeecornchipviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 9 of 30
    It is pretty impressive to see the effort Apple is putting into photography, but it is still just a really nice snapshot camera. Maybe my previous life making a living as a Photographer in the film era is showing, but I will keep my Leicas and Micro 4/3rds LUMIX.

It would be really nice if Apple were to work with a camera maker and come out with a great dedicated camera in the Prosumer end of the market. Imagine what could be done with Apple’s engineering and a great lens set with a larger sensor.
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    While I realize reminders that white guys aren't the only people on earth that matter anymore is a trigger to some (cough said white guys), I find the subject is high in contrast and makes for an interesting image.
    chiaminicoffeeviclauyyc
  • Reply 11 of 30
    Jihab, vail, whatever you call it....its thier native head dress so what?? Last Sunday we were at the Catholic church, one of our members is Indian American and she wears vail all over her heads and her native clothing much like a Hindu and no body bothers, it’s OK 👌🏽. America is a land of immigrants that contributed a lot to our society, just dont push on me your beliefs and we are get along...Happy AppleInsider day to all😉
    StrangeDayschia
  • Reply 12 of 30
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I come from one of those countries, and I am tired of looking at them. I get incensed with companies (or any entities) trying to shove this thing down our throats. 
    magman1979cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 30

It is pretty impressive to see the effort Apple is putting into photography, but it is still just a really nice snapshot camera. Maybe my previous life making a living as a Photographer in the film era is showing, but I will keep my Leicas and Micro 4/3rds LUMIX.

It would be really nice if Apple were to work with a camera maker and come out with a great dedicated camera in the Prosumer end of the market. Imagine what could be done with Apple’s engineering and a great lens set with a larger sensor.
    Well yes, it is just a snapshot camera. And in the chasis of a smartphone that's all it will ever be -- and never a true replacement for the use cases specific to SLRs or other larger cameras. That doesn't mean they aren't going to push for the best of what can be done in this form factor, and that now includes more reliance on computational photography techniques.

Personally I don't think Apple will again release stand-alone digital cameras. Why? Because I don't think I'd want to buy one again.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I come from one of those countries, and I am tired of looking at them. I get incensed with companies (or any entities) trying to shove this thing down our throats. 
    Hmm, could you explain further how anyone is ah, shoving something down your throat? It's a photo of a model wearing a head scarf. How is this trigger-inducing of outrage?
    edited October 2017 1STnTENDERBITSchia
  • Reply 15 of 30
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    Hmm, could you explain further how anyone is ah, shoving something down your throat? It's a photo of a model wearing a head scarf. How is this trigger-inducing of outrage?
    In case you missed the point, what I'm talking about is the hidden political agenda that is being pushed. But if you see it just as an interesting photo then good for you! 
    magman1979cornchipanton zuykov
  • Reply 16 of 30
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

It's called a Nikon or Canon SLR or one of the large frame cameras that are available. SLR is a niche product these days. Large format cameras are ultra-niche.
    Apple is incorporating excellent photography options (hardware and software) for 99.99% of the use cases.

What would probably make many more people happy would be for them to find a way to increase the optical zoom range in the same form factor. Don't even know if it's physically possible, but it would be nice.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 17 of 30

There’s a reason why phone cameras are preferred over dedicated camera and vice versa. 

Trend of the time is shoot and share; and that’s one of the reason why dedicated cameras has no appeal to great number of people. Camera makers are still stuck in film era workflow: shoot, offload pics to a laptop/desktop, process pics, then share/print. Camera phones streamlined that on a single device.

Camera phones are very capable camera with limitations, pros and cons like any other camera. 
  • Reply 18 of 30
    Nice to see diversity in Apple's choices for models.
    viclauyyc
  • Reply 19 of 30
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    unphocus said:
    I plan to put the new capability to a test when I get my iPhone X. Most of these pics being shown aren’t in the conditions I plan to shoot in. 
    I think it would be better if they had lighting controls rather than the simplified presets to cover more scenarios. They have a whole depth falloff so they could have a depth based luminance and saturation slider with different falloff curves. This would allow having the background less saturated than the foreground or just darker than the foreground instead of pure black. Apple showed this functionality off at one of their presentations on the depth capability.

Fleur rose sur fond noir et blanc Fond dcran HD

They could have directional filters so that the background can be darkened around the subject without removing the background completely:

A portrait for the Wall Street Journal with the Breaking

Best Headshot photographer Los Angeles  Jeff E Photo

People would tap the value they are adjusting and then slide across the image to adjust it. Sliding the luminance of the background to zero would be like the stage light. There can be oval shapes that get pinched to adjust the falloff of the foreground light. This would allow people to create their own presets too so they can have a unique looking filter that works best for their own images.

3rd party apps will be doing this with the depth API so users will get the functionality anyway but having it in the default photos app saves hunting for a 3rd party app that does it well.
    StrangeDayscornchip
  • Reply 20 of 30
    phbian said:
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    In case you missed the point, what I'm talking about is the hidden political agenda that is being pushed. But if you see it just as an interesting photo then good for you! 

What I didn't miss was that you see it that way, which is concerning. Diversity is a beautiful thing. It's the new "normal", and you seem to have a problem with it. Am I wrong?

I applaud Apple's continued innovation in the area of creative photography, while keeping the interface simple to use.