Apple posts two video tutorials for Portrait Lighting on iPhone 8 Plus

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    phbian said:
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I come from one of those countries, and I am tired of looking at them. I get incensed with companies (or any entities) trying to shove this thing down our throats. 
    Hmm, could you explain further how anyone is ah, shoving something down your throat? It's a photo of a model wearing a head scarf. How is this trigger-inducing of outrage?
    In case you missed the point, what I'm talking about is the hidden political agenda that is being pushed. But if you see it just as an interesting photo then good for you! 
    And what exactly is the “hidden” political agenda Apple is pushing via this photo? How is it hidden if you know about it or if it’s plain to see?
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 22 of 30
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I know.  Such a transparent and sanctimonious move on Apple’s part.  
  • Reply 23 of 30

It is pretty impressive to see the effort Apple is putting into photography, but it is still just a really nice snapshot camera. Maybe my previous life making a living as a Photographer in the film era is showing, but I will keep my Leicas and Micro 4/3rds LUMIX.

It would be really nice if Apple were to work with a camera maker and come out with a great dedicated camera in the Prosumer end of the market. Imagine what could be done with Apple’s engineering and a great lens set with a larger sensor.
    Well yes, it is just a snapshot camera. And in the chasis of a smartphone that's all it will ever be -- and never a true replacement for the use cases specific to SLRs or other larger cameras. That doesn't mean they aren't going to push for the best of what can be done in this form factor, and that now includes more reliance on computational photography techniques.

Personally I don't think Apple will again release stand-alone digital cameras. Why? Because I don't think I'd want to buy one again.
    Apple will make a camera that can call and work as smartphones. Just look at Apple Watch 3.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    phbian said:
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I come from one of those countries, and I am tired of looking at them. I get incensed with companies (or any entities) trying to shove this thing down our throats. 
    Hmm, could you explain further how anyone is ah, shoving something down your throat? It's a photo of a model wearing a head scarf. How is this trigger-inducing of outrage?
    In case you missed the point, what I'm talking about is the hidden political agenda that is being pushed. But if you see it just as an interesting photo then good for you! 
    I think it's only an "agenda" when someone (in this case, you) is trying to make it as one. Can't we be more objective rather than bringing our personal baggage into a conversation that has nothing to do with anything but iPhone new camera capability?
    GG1
  • Reply 25 of 30
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    The option doesn't appear likely to come to the iPhone 7 Plus, despite that phone being released just last year and likewise having twin cameras. Apple may feel the phone's A10 processor isn't fast enough to render lighting quickly.
    Translation: Apple wants you to buy a new phone. 
  • Reply 26 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I am incensed by your garbage words, but I'm not going to tag you as an human cesspool just yet... I reserve myself to do it later though.

Your opinion is so extreme you sound exactly like a right wing keyboard jockey, easily offended by a mere wiff of reality.

Apple has been "pushing" (sic) diversity (as a worldwide company) in its advertising for decades.
    Either you live with it or you move on to another company. Simple, isn't it.

• Reply 27 of 30
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Marvin said:
    unphocus said:
    I plan to put the new capability to a test when I get my iPhone X. Most of these pics being shown aren’t in the conditions I plan to shoot in. 
    I think it would be better if they had lighting controls rather than the simplified presets to cover more scenarios. They have a whole depth falloff so they could have a depth based luminance and saturation slider with different falloff curves. This would allow having the background less saturated than the foreground or just darker than the foreground instead of pure black. Apple showed this functionality off at one of their presentations on the depth capability.

Fleur rose sur fond noir et blanc Fond dcran HD

They could have directional filters so that the background can be darkened around the subject without removing the background completely:

A portrait for the Wall Street Journal with the Breaking

Best Headshot photographer Los Angeles  Jeff E Photo

People would tap the value they are adjusting and then slide across the image to adjust it. Sliding the luminance of the background to zero would be like the stage light. There can be oval shapes that get pinched to adjust the falloff of the foreground light. This would allow people to create their own presets too so they can have a unique looking filter that works best for their own images.

3rd party apps will be doing this with the depth API so users will get the functionality anyway but having it in the default photos app saves hunting for a 3rd party app that does it well.
    Well, the API has been out of beta for only a few months now, so maybe Apple waited to be sure it works well in more constrained situations, before opening up this functionality. They seem to do that every time they introduce so out there new tech.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 

Lets not forget we are in the era of PC.

If Apple did not want to offend anyone, and I can appreciate this, they could have done the exact same thing with an ordinary object. or they could have used a dog, but there are all kinds of emotional feeling towards an animal so an ordinary object would have work.

I hate to say this, I saw the exact same thing as you, I missed the whole point since I focus on the PC activity of Apple verse what they were attempting to communicated.

• Reply 29 of 30
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    maestro64 said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 

Lets not forget we are in the era of PC.

If Apple did not want to offend anyone, and I can appreciate this, they could have done the exact same thing with an ordinary object. or they could have used a dog, but there are all kinds of emotional feeling towards an animal so an ordinary object would have work.

I hate to say this, I saw the exact same thing as you, I missed the whole point since I focus on the PC activity of Apple verse what they were attempting to communicated.

How is it PC to show a person who looks different from you? Apple is a global company. Most of Apple’s customers are outside the US. Whether you like it or not Islam is a huge religion. Apple’s customers include Muslims. 

Get it thru your heads — white guys aren’t the only people on earth who matter. You aren’t a snowflake, so stop being triggered so easily. 
  • Reply 30 of 30
    foggyhill said:
    phbian said:
    Grimzahn said:
    Burka, seriously? 
    I am incensed by your garbage words, but I'm not going to tag you as an human cesspool just yet... I reserve myself to do it later though.

Your opinion is so extreme you sound exactly like a right wing keyboard jockey, easily offended by a mere wiff of reality.

Apple has been "pushing" (sic) diversity (as a worldwide company) in its advertising for decades.
    Either you live with it or you move on to another company. Simple, isn't it.

I'm surprised that a couple of statements of mine that caused all this outrage. I still think companies should focus only on their products.

As a new comer, I'm not seeing much love here!  

Don't bother to reply, nor exercise your power in relegating me to a "human cesspool"; I'll exile myself. Actually to come and think of it, I don't want to be in this pool myself.