Apple homepage gets iPhone X makeover ahead of Friday preorders

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2017
Apple on Tuesday updated its homepage with dynamic graphics and links touting various iPhone X features, like the TrueDepth camera and Face ID, in an effort to advertise the handset ahead of a start to preorders this week.

As seen above, the iPhone X product link, which first appeared shortly after the device was announced September, has taken over the top spot on Apple's homepage. The iPhone 8 and Apple Watch Series 3 saw heavy rotation in the spotlight carousel element prior to today's change.

Below the banner image are six large graphics blocks containing animated imagery showing off key iPhone X features including Design and Display, Face ID, the TrueDepth camera, "Radically new" rear cameras, the A11 Bionic SoC and wireless charging. The blocks point to anchor points on the dedicated iPhone X webpage, which offers more information on each subject.

To realize the revamped landing page, Apple pulled highlight clips from its iPhone X product promo video and embedded them into the square block design. The blocks dynamically load in and animate in a loop when users scroll down the page.

Mousing over the images brings up the aforementioned category titles and a brief description of each section. For example, the TrueDepth camera section reads, "So much technology in so little space. The TrueDepth camera makes Face ID, Portrait mode, Portrait Lighting and Animoji possible."

A final edge-to-edge animated banner anchors the homepage and includes a link to Apple's iPhone X product video.

Apple's iPhone X represents the culmination of ten years of iPhone technology and design. The handset features a full-face 5.8-inch Super Retina OLED display and proprietary depth-sensing camera equipment that powers advanced facial recognition features like Face ID user authentication. Inside, an A11 Bionic chip boasts high clock speeds and its own neural engine for chewing through computationally intensive tasks.

Preorders for iPhone X begin this Friday at 12:01 a.m. Pacific, with initial shipments scheduled to arrive on Nov. 3. Apple has announced first-day retail availability of the handset, but encourages prospective buyers to arrive early as quantities will be limited.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    That homepage looks amazing. So much so that I'm tempted to get pre-approval so I can order one at midnight.
    iqatedo
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Soli said:
    That homepage looks amazing. So much so that I'm tempted to get pre-approval so I can order one at midnight.

Do it Soli!
    cali
  • Reply 3 of 13
    superhero360superhero360 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Is there any way to order it on Friday without a contract at full price? Apple usually waits a month or so before you can order it online contract free. 
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Is there any way to order it on Friday without a contract at full price? Apple usually waits a month or so before you can order it online contract free. 
    If you mean SIM card-free, I think we'll have to wait and see. I know they waited for a month or so in the past, but the iPhone 8 series has that option.

On the off change you mean without a contact in terms of subsidization the major US carries have stopped doing that so you can buy it outright from the start, but it will activated and you will be subject to their terms of use and have to pay for that activation fee and possibly the first month of use, but you may be able to cancel that and get a prorated rebate right away. In the past an iPhone could still be locked to a carrier and they're usually pretty much dicks about it, but I seem to recall that ended after we got the muhltiband phones and moved into LTE where CMDA-based networks had to support a SIM (but I could be wrong).

PS: Remember when Sprint was pushing WiMAX as their '4G' and Qualcomm was trying desperately to UMB/EV-DO Rev. C as the future of '4G' tech. God I'm happy those debates are over and that neither of them won.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Soli said:
    The sensor technology in that little notch and the A11 Bionic SoC are truly wonderful. The X will do very well.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    I always pre-order mine off contract, but set-up with my current carrier AT&T when ordering. It comes unlocked. One would think that owning the phone should lower your phone bill, but that hasn't been the case. Maybe because its not subsidized anymore. I then sell my unlocked phone (always buy the most memory) on eBay for around $500-600 dollars. Unfortunately eBay's charging so much for their part of the cut its getting to be almost not worth it. Good luck everyone, I'm going to try to buy 2.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 7 of 13
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    All phones purchased from Apple are unlocked and contract free. That is the only way you can buy them from Apple directly.  Applies even if you buy using the iPhone Upgrade Plan.  If you are looking for SIM free, that is something else.  You cannot buy a SIM free phone with the Apple iphone upgrade program.   
    edited October 2017 stanthemananantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 13
    If supplies are truly constrained, time timing of this heavy promotion of the X seems counterproductive.  So my (faint) hope is that the production shortfalls of the X are lower than reported.  But, given the steady reports and history of supply/demand mismatch at launch (a GOOD problem for Apple), I suspect the history of quick sell-outs at launch will continue.  But I'll try anyway!
  • Reply 9 of 13
    The quoted prices are full price.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    llamallama Posts: 102member
    Was the SIM free option available at pre-order launch for the 8/8Plus?  That would be my preferred version for the X.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Soli said:
    Were you able to do this? Apple's website did not seem to offer the option to sign up as a new subscriber to get pre-approval for the X. 
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Soli said:
    Were you able to do this? Apple's website did not seem to offer the option to sign up as a new subscriber to get pre-approval for the X. 
    No.  The Pre-Approval process with the Upgrade Program only applies to active contracts.  I also want to order the new iPhone X and set up a new Upgrade Program account paying the $56 a month rate over the loan period, but could only get to the final page before running into a grayed out Continue button.  At this point all I could do was Favorite the page for quick access on ordering night.

This means there will be a delay for the approval process when many users are trying to do the same, and that will inevitably give us a delivery date after Nov 3.  That’s ok with me.  I just want to get in the queue.  New buyers wanting a fighting chance of getting the new iPhone X on release date will just have to pony up the full price up front.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Soli said:
    I didn't even try. I'm holding strong at this point; mostly because I really don't want to go to a smaller device in display width or an overall smaller display when playing videos with squared corners and it seems to take to time for apps to support the @3x size (which is still an unfortunately common issue with far too many of my Plus size iPhone apps) as well as new height of the display. I'm expecting an 6.4" iPhone next year which I think is very likely for me to jump on.

PS: Because of the Series 3 Watch with cellular I'm debating leaving my iPhone and/or MacBook Pro home when I travel by plane for Thanksgiving this year. Honestly, I'm not sure I can leave either behind but it'll be an interesting experiment if I can do it. I have no iPad but that might be a good alternative if I can get the Watch to replace much of my  iPhone's functionality.

Soli said:
    No.  The Pre-Approval process with the Upgrade Program only applies to active contracts.  I also want to order the new iPhone X and set up a new Upgrade Program account paying the $56 a month rate over the loan period, but could only get to the final page before running into a grayed out Continue button.  At this point all I could do was Favorite the page for quick access on ordering night.

This means there will be a delay for the approval process when many users are trying to do the same, and that will inevitably give us a delivery date after Nov 3.  That’s ok with me.  I just want to get in the queue.  New buyers wanting a fighting chance of getting the new iPhone X on release date will just have to pony up the full price up front.
    1) I'm confident there will be plenty of people in iUP that pre-approved and ordered ASAP when Friday hits Pacific Time (UTC/GMT-07:00) that will also not get a 03 November arrival. I'm fully expecting "I ordered less than a minute after it went live and I have to wait weeks yada yada yada."

2) If you live near an Apple Store that could work out for you. They did say they will have them in stores come 03 November.