How to fix problems with iOS 11 on your iPhone or iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    MplsP said:
    supersalo said:
    Please stop spreading the FUD about Background App Refresh. iOS does a very good job of deferring background requests until the radios are already on (ie, the user has woken up the phone and is connected to the internet). 

Have you used the Facebook app with BAR turned on? It’s a huge battery drainer, unless they’ve made major changes recently. 

And just the other day, I tried out a new audio app on my iPad, switched to another app, closed the Smart Cover. Came back later in the day to a dead iPad, which never happens. It had drained 90% of the battery. In the background. Doing nothing. 

iOS may do a good job, but that doesn’t mean 3rd party apps do. 
    Well, that's your fault for installing the Facepalm app - Just say no! ;)

I updated my 6s to 11.0.3 a week ago and haven't noticed any major issues. It might consume battery a bit quicker, but it's really hard to tell. Does anyone know how to turn off the 'feature' that opens the home screen as soon the home button recognizes your fingerprint, even if you don't press the button? I find it very annoying!
    Settings / General / Accessibility / Home Button
    Awesome - Thanks! Why does apple insist on hiding things in the accessibility menu? They moved some of the track pad settings there, too.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    ltnizltniz Posts: 5unconfirmed, member
    "However, since Apple removed easy app reinstallation through iTunes, there may be a lengthy download period where your apps are not available." -- How lengthy is lengthy? I restored from iTunes on Sunday and am still waiting for apps to load. App store is not communicating with app servers...
  • Reply 23 of 25
    As an IT person, there is only one way to be sure... nuke it from orbit.

If the case of IOS devices that’s done using ITunes.  Different generations of IPhones or IPads have different steps that need to be taken to enter “Recovery Mode” so Google your model.  Also, before doing anything back up your device, make sure the device is fully charged, make sure you have ITunes updated to the latest version, and remember the process is going to take a while, the OS itself is quite large, and you’ll be likely restoring a massive amount of data.  

(I use the cloud backup, but if you’re a person with a lot of pictures/videos ITunes backup makes more sense)

Every major IOS update I wipe the device this way (I.e....9 -> 10 -> 11)

It may not be necessary, but when exploring a new OS I like to start clean.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    supersalo said:
    Please stop spreading the FUD about Background App Refresh. iOS does a very good job of deferring background requests until the radios are already on (ie, the user has woken up the phone and is connected to the internet). 

Have you used the Facebook app with BAR turned on? It’s a huge battery drainer, unless they’ve made major changes recently. 

And just the other day, I tried out a new audio app on my iPad, switched to another app, closed the Smart Cover. Came back later in the day to a dead iPad, which never happens. It had drained 90% of the battery. In the background. Doing nothing. 

iOS may do a good job, but that doesn’t mean 3rd party apps do. 

Background Refreshes are controlled by the system, NOT by the 3rd party app.

Apple Developer Docs:

The system waits until network and power conditions are good, so you should be able to retrieve adequate amounts of data quickly.

Apps that download small amounts of content quickly, and accurately reflect when they had content available to download, are more likely to receive execution time in the future than apps that take a long time to download their content or that claim content was available but then do not download anything.”

And 

Calling the completion handler in a timely manner, and with an accurate result, helps determine how much future execution time your app receives. If you take too long to update your app, the system may schedule your app less frequently in the future to save power.”

• Reply 25 of 25
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    bb-15 said:
    Here is what I do for my family's several older iOS devices and iOS 11. 
    * I wait before upgrading. I've done this for years when a new version of iOS is released. 
    - Then I check out websites for the new iOS version's problems. 
    When these issues are resolved by Apple, I upgrade. 

- Also, with an older device that's having trouble on iOS 11, consider going back to iOS 10, if that's an option.  
    - Of course this doesn't apply to new iOS devices like the iPhone 8 which have to run iOS 11. 

Exactly! Nothing wrong with waiting for a couple of months while the bleeding edge users find the problems and Apple issues a few fixes.