How to preorder iPhone X with Apple's battle-tested Apple Store app

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    bobcat62 said:
    llama said:
    Will the SIM free version be available for preorder or do I have to select a carrier?  I am AT&T, but I kind of want the CDMA+GSM variant for resale value down the road.

Outstanding question.  If you go through setting up an iPhone X order using the iOS Apple Store App & you select the Verizon model & are willing to pay full price, you will see a screen that says the phone is unlocked.

Supposedly, if a phone can access Verizon's portion of the 700 MHz radio band, it must be unlocked by law.

Question:  Can I pre-configure the Apple Store I want to pickup the phone from before the ordering rush?
    Outstandingly WRONG answer. You can NOT buy a Verizon (and Sprint) iPhone X (or 8) WITHOUT having an account with that carrier! The Apple Store will require you to enter your phone number and other info to verify an account with Verizon (and Sprint) to proceed with the order. To buy the all carrier compatible phone if you have an AT&T or T-Mobile account you have to wait until Apple offers the unlocked all carrier version. So you will waste your precious time trying to figure out why you can't hit "BUY".
    JWSCfastasleepbshank
  • Reply 22 of 42
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    llama said:
    Will the SIM free version be available for preorder or do I have to select a carrier?  I am AT&T, but I kind of want the CDMA+GSM variant for resale value down the road.
    I have much the same question but with a different twist. I'm with Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO) and can't switch without enraging family.

Can I order, say, AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone and just not activate it?? Obviously, this would be full-price and not a carrier- or Apple-financed thing.

Or is AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint activation mandatory ??
  • Reply 23 of 42
    Thanks for the tips - was advised to use the app by an Apple store employee. Unfortunately the U.K. Apple app doesn’t allow you to preconfigure. Please remember AppleInsider a high proportion of your readers are outside the USA 🤠
  • Reply 24 of 42
    plovell said:
    llama said:
    I have much the same question but with a different twist. I'm with Consumer Cellular (AT&T MVNO) and can't switch without enraging family.

Can I order, say, AT&T or T-Mobile iPhone and just not activate it?? Obviously, this would be full-price and not a carrier- or Apple-financed thing.

Or is AT&T/Verizon/T-Mobile/Sprint activation mandatory ??
    Activation isn't "mandatory" but you won't be able to proceed to checkout (add to bag or whatever) without the carrier account - T-Mobile version "might" allow it if no verification. Try it out via the iPhone 8 ... see if you can add it to bag to check out...
  • Reply 25 of 42
    If it were THAT easy to buy a "SIM-free" version NOW by just buying a Verizon iPhone NOW even if you are on AT&T then Apple wouldn't need to offer the SIM-free later. Apple isn't that dumb. You need to have an active line with Verizon to actually buy the Verizon iPhone. Don't get fooled. Try it out by adding a Verizon iPhone 8 to the shopping bag without having an active line with Verizon.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    Assuming that the monthly payment option to get you into the Upgrade Program will then send you to loan approval? I'm not currently in the upgrade program but will start with this phone.
  • Reply 27 of 42
    If you chose the upgrade program will that keep you from getting iPhone on launch? Since has to go through the approval process?
  • Reply 28 of 42
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    catcrazy said:
    If you chose the upgrade program will that keep you from getting iPhone on launch? Since has to go through the approval process?
    You can get pre-approved as of this Monday:

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program/upgrade

You shouldn't have to wait until tomorrow to get approved. You can do it right now. Then, if you run into any issues, you can get it straightened out before tomorrow. 
  • Reply 29 of 42
    I'm a little concerned about the cost difference I see between the Apple and AT&T sites...AT&T says I can upgrade my 6S to a 64GB X for $33/month. Cheapest I see using the Apple Store app on my current 6S is $41/month...

Why the difference? Can't figure that out...

Thoughts?
  • Reply 30 of 42
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    seeker143 said:
    I'm a little concerned about the cost difference I see between the Apple and AT&T sites...AT&T says I can upgrade my 6S to a 64GB X for $33/month. Cheapest I see using the Apple Store app on my current 6S is $41/month...

Thoughts?
    The difference in price is due to the payment terms. Apple is more expensive because its a 24 month payment plan. AT&T is a 30 month payment plan. 
    anantksundaramJWSCseeker143bshank
  • Reply 31 of 42
    mobirdmobird Posts: 753member
    How do you refresh the Apple Store app? Do you have to quit the app or will the app automatically refresh when the ability to order goes live? I have my selection favorited. Here is what my screen currently looks like. Thanks.
  • Reply 32 of 42
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    mobird said:
    How do you refresh the Apple Store app? Do you have to quit the app or will the app automatically refresh when the ability to order goes live? I have my selection favorited. Here is what my screen currently looks like. Thanks.
    If you have Background App Refresh on in your settings, it will refresh automatically. To turn that on, go into settings>general>Background App Refresh. 
    mobirdanantksundaram
  • Reply 33 of 42
    llama said:
    The SIM free version will not be available right away. See this story: http://tinyurl.com/ycw53vq2
    JWSC
  • Reply 34 of 42

You can get pre-approved as of this Monday:

https://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program/upgrade

You shouldn't have to wait until tomorrow to get approved. You can do it right now. Then, if you run into any issues, you can get it straightened out before tomorrow. 

The only problem you have to already be in the upgrade program or am I missing something?

edited October 2017
  • Reply 35 of 42
    llama said:
    The SIM free version will not be available right away. See this story: http://tinyurl.com/ycw53vq2
    This is the case in the USA.  However, in many other countries, such as Canada, all the phones sold directly by Apple in Canada are all SIM-free, right from day one.
    bshank
  • Reply 36 of 42
    seeker143 said:

Thoughts?
    Apple’s price also includes Apple Care+ (I assume your looking at monthly payments via the iPhone upgrade program).
    bshank
  • Reply 37 of 42
    DO I REQUIRE A SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER? I DONT HAVE ONE
  • Reply 38 of 42
    Bam - preorder done! Now the wait to see if I got into the first shipment batch or not...
  • Reply 39 of 42
    Got my silver 256GB delivery 2-3 weeks pre-ordered.

Had 2 computers refreshing the web page and an iPad and an iPhone both sitting running the store app.

One of the Macs started working first at about 8 mins past the hour and I ordered the beastie.

In contrast, the Apple Store Apps are still sitting there waiting. Even after quitting and restarting they're still not updated.

So much for the advice to use the app.  
    edited October 2017 Eph
  • Reply 40 of 42
    aegeanaegean Posts: 164member
    Ordered successfully. Arriving 3rd November. Yay!!!!