Apple sells out of launch day iPhone X supply in matter of minutes

Comments

• Reply 61 of 129
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Has anyone gotten the promised email to claim the phone with a reservation number that “has been reserved for you?”
    I don't think Apple sends anything out until your shipment starts to get processed, but I think you can go onto their website to see the order you've made.
  • Reply 62 of 129
    elvys said:
    Mine got pushed 3-4 weeks too. I feel so disappointed that I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and don't buy it at all.
    Why? Those 4 weeks will pass quickly, especially if you live an adult life.
    SoliSpamSandwichStrangeDays
  • Reply 63 of 129
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Apple website showing 5-6 weeks for a couple hours now. Hasn’t gone up. I’m going to guess a lot of people get theirs earlier than that. Otherwise people are seeing the long delay and ordering something else or not ordering at all?
    Don't rule out Apple's production ramp up as a reason for ship date staying put for several hours.
  • Reply 64 of 129
    I live in Sweden, and orders mine from the carier Telia. Got a preliminary delivery date of January 10. 😕
  • Reply 65 of 129
    robjnrobjn Posts: 282member
    No. Launch day supply has not sold out.

‘Pre-order supply’ sold out.

A certain amount of ‘launch day supply’ has been reserved for in store purchases on launch day.
    Solirobin huberStrangeDays
  • Reply 66 of 129
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Six months, or a year from now, the price will have dropped, and there will be many available. And it will still be a cool phone. I'm sticking with my 7 for now. 

I'm actually quite impressed with Apple's switch to a line of iPhones. Choices are good.
  • Reply 67 of 129
    Soli said:
    Apple website showing 5-6 weeks for a couple hours now. Hasn’t gone up. I’m going to guess a lot of people get theirs earlier than that. Otherwise people are seeing the long delay and ordering something else or not ordering at all?
    Don't rule out Apple's production ramp up as a reason for ship date staying put for several hours.
    True. Just wasn’t sure how quickly that could/would happen.
  • Reply 68 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    No, I'm saying that Apple screwed up by not opening up all websites globally at the same second. Why was there a 5 minute delay at all ? It should have gone live for everyone on the planet at the exact same time. 
    I get the impression that you don't really understand how the internet works.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 69 of 129
    Is this really newsworthy?
    What would have been really newsworthy is if it didn't sell out on Hour 1.

I'll wait and have a play with one and get a returned phone sometime in the new year if I think it is worth it.
    If not then the iPhone 8 will do. I expect a lot of them to hit the secondhand market next month.

• Reply 70 of 129
    robjn said:
    No. Launch day supply has not sold out.

‘Pre-order supply’ sold out.

A certain amount of ‘launch day supply’ has been reserved for in store purchases on launch day.
    Completely forgot about launch day store supply. I called Apple to see if I cancel my order and try my luck on launch day but the automated system told me it can’t take my call because of high call volumes and to try again later.  :/
  • Reply 71 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    ... You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 

Odd.  I fully expect my new phone to last several years.  

How did you justify an iPhone8 that apparently only lasts 8 weeks.???
    cali
  • Reply 72 of 129
    elvys said:
    Mine got pushed 3-4 weeks too. I feel so disappointed that I'm seriously considering cancelling my order and don't buy it at all.
    Why? Those 4 weeks will pass quickly, especially if you live an adult life.
    “What’s this? An iPhone X? I don’t remember ordering that!”
    randominternetpersonStrangeDayscalimike eggleston
  • Reply 73 of 129
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    lkrupp said:
    macxpress said:
    elvys said:
    Seriously? How childish can people be? You've waited months and months (some people 2yrs) to be able to get a phone....what difference does it make if you get in 2-3 weeks or 5-6 weeks?

"I want the golden goose, and I want the golden goose nowwwwww!”
    Always be skeptical about a first post. Could be someone just stirring the pot.
    Yeah I did think about that, but this isn't the only comment about that. 
  • Reply 74 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    macxpress said:
    elvys said:
    Seriously? How childish can people be? You've waited months and months (some people 2yrs) to be able to get a phone....what difference does it make if you get in 2-3 weeks or 5-6 weeks?
    What difference does it make ? Well, it makes the phone a lot more expensive for one. The 6 week delay from the normal launch already did that already did that of course..

A little maths:

There are 52 weeks between iPhone launches, if the iPhone launched on the same day as the 8, you would pay $1000 for 52 weeks of iPhone X usage before you have to replace it with the iPhone Xs, that's  $19.23/week. With the launch for the X pushed back 6 weeks if you get it on nov 3 then it is $1000/46 = $21.74/week. Another 6 weeks delay raises the price further to $25/week. You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 
    Bahahahahaha! Okay dude whatever! Yes, you are absolutely FORCED to get a new phone every single year! Held at gun point until you click on the order button! LOL!!!! This has got to be the most ridiculous post I've seen in quite a while. 
    edited October 2017 randominternetpersonStrangeDayscalikingofsomewherehotmacky the macky
  • Reply 75 of 129
    Does anyone think they'll have them on display in the store, or would that be next week when its actually on-sale in the store? I'm kinda thinking it will be next week versus this week...I just don't want to visit an Apple Store when there's a big release like this. Its basically worthless to go in with so many people in there. 
  • Reply 76 of 129
    lol it didn't even let me purchase, they reserved my iphone so now I'm here waiting for the stupid email. 
  • Reply 77 of 129
    I can almost guarantee it’ll be less than a week before Apple analysts are sowing FUD about Apple and their “inability to meet demand” in order to tank the stock again.
  • Reply 78 of 129
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    It sold out in minutes?  It should have sold-out in seconds... Apple is doomed. /s
    cali
  • Reply 79 of 129
    aaargh! said:
    macxpress said:
    elvys said:
    What difference does it make ? Well, it makes the phone a lot more expensive for one. The 6 week delay from the normal launch already did that already did that of course..

A little maths:

There are 52 weeks between iPhone launches, if the iPhone launched on the same day as the 8, you would pay $1000 for 52 weeks of iPhone X usage before you have to replace it with the iPhone Xs, that's  $19.23/week. With the launch for the X pushed back 6 weeks if you get it on nov 3 then it is $1000/46 = $21.74/week. Another 6 weeks delay raises the price further to $25/week. You essentially pay $999 for a phone that will only last you 40 weeks, as opposed to the normal 52. 
    Yeah, keep up that great math, and in few years, you will be able to buy your iPhone in the month prior to launch.
    edited October 2017
  • Reply 80 of 129

aaargh! said:
    LukeCage said:
    aaargh! said:
    Apple really screwed up this morning. It sold out in minutes which would be fine if everyone got a fair chance, but the Apple Store wasn't available in my country until 5 minutes after it should have been. By the time it went out of maintenance mode delivery dates had already slipped to 20-27 november. 
    Where do you live? 
    The Netherlands. The store didn't open up until 9:06
    Umm... so? 

What a silly post.